+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV or SUPER VISA while Parent Sponsorship in progress

Passerby

Jun 19, 2018
Hello Forum,

My parents have been rejected for TRV twice while I was on PGWP in 2012 on the grounds of not having sufficient ties to country of citizenship/residence. My parent's country of citizenship is Bangladesh and at the time of the TRV application, my mother was working on work permit in Saudi Arabia and my father was retired. They were both residing in Saudi Arabia at that time.

I have since then become a permanent resident of Canada and sponsored my parents under the Parent Sponsorship in 2017 (under the lottery system I was selected). At the time of this application, both my parents had moved back to Bangladesh on retirement. My spouse is also a permanent resident. We both are working professionals.

Since the PR application is still in process, I would like my parents to visit me in Canada for couple of months (less than 6). I am eligible to apply under the Super Visa program. Since they have been rejected for TRV previously, I am not sure whether to apply for TRV or SUPER Visa for them to visit me this year. I have listed below my questions/comments based on my assumptions/understanding.

1. If I apply for TRV, I would have to prove ties to home country and since I have applied for Parents Sponsorship, the VO may not be satisfied that they will return after couple of months and reject citing that we have to wait for completion of sponsorship application.

2. Super Visa is for parents who intend to stay longer than 6 months and my parents, at this time, only plans to visit for few months. Since super Visa is for longer period of time, I believe the VO looks at the application with more scrutiny and since they have been rejected twice before, may not get it approved.

I am not sure which one to apply for and what to write in my letter of invitation. How to prove that they will go back after short stay as they are both retired. If TRV, if I say they will go back, doesn't an application for PR deem otherwise? Will any option have any adverse affect on the sponsorship application currently in process?

Any insights and advice is greatly appreciated.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
the eligibility requirements for super visa are stricter than for TRV.......and considering your plan is for your parents to visit temporarily for a few months.....i will suggest you apply for TRV.......they have earlier been denied TRV twice and if the reasons for the earlier visa denial has not been addressed, their application for visitor visa will very likely to be denied again.........however, having a strong tie to your country of residence is a strong factor......will suggest you don't invite both parents at the same time.......invite one parent with the other not invited you could provide explanation for ties to home country........your parents are both retired, so with only one parent invited and the other back home the likelihood the invited parent will stay indefinitely or overstay is very low........and if the invited parent doesn't return back home, the other certainly should never expect they will be issued visitor visa.......once the invited parent has returned home, the next time you also invite only the other parent......when they have both visited and gone back home, they would have created a good travel history with Canada which could help to improve chances of approval of their future applications for visitor visa.

Just my suggestion and not providing a guarantee.......for other eligibility criteria for consideration.........refer.......Temporary residents: Eligibility and admissibility considerations

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelsew