+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV chance for spouse of Canadian

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019
Hi,
My wife is a Canadian citizen and I recently applied for Visitor visa (TRV). Submitted biometric on July 19th. I am currently working in USA and my US visa has already expired.

My itinerary says visiting Canada for 5 months. What are my chances of approval? Also can I apply for open work permit?

Thanks

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi,
My wife is a Canadian citizen and I recently applied for Visitor visa (TRV). Submitted biometric on July 19th. I am currently working in USA and my US visa has already expired.

My itinerary says visiting Canada for 5 months. What are my chances of approval? Also can I apply for open work permit?

Thanks
No one can tell you for sure what the chances are. For a visitor visa you have to prove that you will leave the country after it expires, but if your spouse is a Canadian citizen they might refuse thinking you want to live here. Do you have your spouse sponsorship filed already?

5 months is also a long time, that shows that you are willing to leave your previous country behind and not return. However it is possible, my wife was granted trv after I was approved as sponsor, she also had travel history to Canada and she had left on time.

Reactions: Ribak Luifar

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019
No, I have't filled my spouse sponsorship yet. We mentioned 5 months as the TRV allows 6 months.
Also my wife has been staying with me in USA as visitor for the past 5 months
What is your recommendation in this scenario?

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Why don't you just apply for spousal sponsorship? Why risk being refused a TRV?

Imo your chances are not great. Especially because since your wife was in the USA with you for the last 5 months.. and now you wanna stay in Canada for the next 5... the only thing I see here is the visa officer rejecting your application.

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019
Why don't you just apply for spousal sponsorship? Why risk being refused a TRV?

Imo your chances are not great. Especially because since your wife was in the USA with you for the last 5 months.. and now you wanna stay in Canada for the next 5... the only thing I see here is the visa officer rejecting your application.
Because spousal sponsorship will take 12 months that is why. We wanted to stay together with TRV and then apply for spousal PR.
My application has documentation of my valid employment in USA and good bank balance though

galaxys0

Aug 15, 2018
Because spousal sponsorship will take 12 months that is why. We wanted to stay together with TRV and then apply for spousal PR.
My application has documentation of my valid employment in USA and good bank balance though
If you didn't mention about your wife being Canadian and living with you in USA before, then you should have good chances. Your first post was confusing.

Employment in USA and good bank balance are a plus.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Thanks
When you say that your US visa has already expired - do you mean that you are in the US without status right now?

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019
If you didn't mention about your wife being Canadian and living with you in USA before, then you should have good chances. Your first post was confusing.

My wife is the one who wrote the invitation letter inviting me to Canada. I didn't mention in the application that she is in USA though they can check it in their records through border cross history right

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019
When you say that your US visa has already expired - do you mean that you are in the US without status right now?
My US visa expired but not OPT. My OPT is valid till February 2020. So I can legally stay and work till February 2020 but I cannot go out of USA and re enter again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My US visa expired but not OPT. My OPT is valid till February 2020. So I can legally stay and work till February 2020 but I cannot go out of USA and re enter again.
Ah - that's too bad. I would say that will lower your chances of approval.

Also, asking for 5 months was probably a mistake. This makes it look like you aren't a genuine tourist and are pretty much moving here early. Anyway - already submitted so all you can do is hope for the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I could have mentioned just a friend with whom I could plan to meet instead of wife don't you think?
Even if you lie and say you are meeting a friend (would not recommend lying) you still have a wife who is a Canadian citizen. If you didn’t mention your wife you could affect you future sponsorship.

Ribak Luifar

Jul 22, 2019

regarding the employment in USA, as I mentioned hanging out in Canada till December, could they think how come my employer is giving me 5 months vacation?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
regarding the employment in USA, as my mentioned hanging out in Canada till December, could they think how come my employer is giving me 5 months vacation?
Yes - this means your employment isn't a tie and makes it look like you are moving to Canada.