+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV application in canada.. need help!

siobe

Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

I would like to ask if I can renew my TRV from within Canada even if I couldn't send a letter of employment which is part of the Document Checklist? I have a valid WP but I'm no longer working with my old employer. I have a positive LMO with a new employer and I'm planning to flagpole to the nearest border to get my new WP but the problem is my TRV is expired! I believed it would take 70 days wait for the WP as per CIC update

Badly need some advise. Many thanks !

lotus_abbey

Star Member
Apr 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also wonder if it's possible to apply for extension of TRV when you're not currently working with the employer you're tied up with closed WP?

Any feedback?

out

Jun 23, 2012
why do you need to flagpole when you are not out of status but only out of work in your old employer. your valid work permit belongs to your former or old employer right? definitely if you said valid means unexpired. being out of work with your old employer does not invalidate your status as a worker and to flagpole for a new work permit for a new employer is not needed. unless your existing wp will surpass it's validity before filing your application package for a new work permit for a new employer; there is still a solution. you can undergo filing of restoration of status plus your application package if your existing work permit courtesy of old employer will become expired by the time you will be applying....i hope i help and you can follow my inputs.

siobe

Nov 20, 2012
Hello, yes my WP permit is still valid and it belongs to my former employer. I'd like to flagpole to get my NEW WP right away and not to wait for 70 days or so. But when I check the requirements for TRV it requires an employment letter from the employer you're tied with your close WP. So, all I want to know if I could send my application for the extesion of TRV in Ottawa even if I don't have a letter of employment which is included in the Document Checklist.

Thanks!

out

Jun 23, 2012
lotus_abbey said:
I also wonder if it's possible to apply for extension of TRV when you're not currently working with the employer you're tied up with closed WP?

Any feedback?
my impresssion of reading some past threads already and by analysing the requirement of applying a trv under working visa is as follows.

1. the specified pre requisite or major requirement is a certifying letter from the employer who served the work permit in existence. meaning in the certifying letter the employer is vouching for your return implying you are still under the company and will continue working. ( as how i read also; lacking of requirement will not prosper the processing either becomes denied or will request the lacking or needed unsubmitted paper)

2. the approved trv will coincide with the date of the work permit validity.

i hope i help.

out

Jun 23, 2012
siobe said:
Hello, yes my WP permit is still valid and it belongs to my former employer. I'd like to flagpole to get my NEW WP right away and not to wait for 70 days or so. But when I check the requirements for TRV it requires an employment letter from the employer you're tied with your close WP. So, all I want to know if I could send my application for the extesion of TRV in Ottawa even if I don't have a letter of employment which is included in the Document Checklist.

Thanks!
this is the first time i read a situation that you want to portray. as what i have told, the cic, sc, hrsdc, and vo is so keen and technical following procedures. maybe just maybe give yourself a trial and error. submitting a trv without an employment letter; if denied means lacking requirement. if requested for that paper; it shows it is really a policy before it will be approved. if becomes approved without the said requirement; lucky you it is really yours! - i hope i help!!!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not new.
Search the forum for "work permit at port of entry" and there will be threads for this - some are:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-work-permit-issued-today-at-poe-t113667.15.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/work-permit-at-the-border-portof-entry-t36525.15.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-still-go-to-the-border-if-my-work-permit-already-expired-t125251.0.html

A new WP may be issued at the POE provided the requirements are satisfied. See the requirements here: (Eligibility to Apply as you Enter Canada):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside

The problem here is the re-entry visa required by the OP for the purposes of re-entering Canada and getting the WP at POE (essentially "flag-poling").

@ siobe - any other documents you have that show employment relationship to your former employer (old letter perhaps) and do you have the new EC from the new employer? IMHO - you must have a basis for staying in the country while waiting for the new WP - being currently employed is one. Also this factors in the decision to issue a TRV for re-entering to resume work. Note that - new WP applicants are encouraged to get a WP from their country of origin.

siobe

Nov 20, 2012
@ ragluf

Hello, the Document Checklist requires employment letter for which I could not provide, all I have were pay stubs from my previous employer. Is that enough? I'm kinda worried if I could renew my TRV using my WP from previous employer which I'm no longer connected with.

Is there any way I can apply for extension of TRV? I don't want to wait for 3 months for the release of my new WP :(

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=473&t=1

Your WP is still unexpired, and also your temporary residence. If you plan to exit to the US do 'flagpoling' then, do it before your current WP expires. Note this condition - have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit or temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) - check the notations/conditions of your original work permit. I'd suggest you clarify with CIC (call them up) and make sure if you are allowed to re-enter Canada just on the basis of this and with your current WP, given you are 'going' only to the US.

Note that this method does include some risks/uncertainties - issuance of the WP or even allowing you to re-enter Canada will be under the discretion of Border Services.

Now, if you and your employer can wait (up to the current processing time), then you can opt to apply in-country. This option provides lesser risks, although you can stay in Canada (until a decision has been made on your application) - you cannot work for your new employer until you have obtained the new work permit.

/Good luck...

siobe said:
@ ragluf

Hello, the Document Checklist requires employment letter for which I could not provide, all I have were pay stubs from my previous employer. Is that enough? I'm kinda worried if I could renew my TRV using my WP from previous employer which I'm no longer connected with.

Is there any way I can apply for extension of TRV? I don't want to wait for 3 months for the release of my new WP :(

dcp

Nov 21, 2012
Hello 'siobe'. I wanted to know if you were able to FLagpole with the Expired TRV and Valid WP. Please share your experience. I too am in the same situation. Looking to Flagpole. But my TRV is expired but have a Valid WP. Appreciate any advice.

Jeptheld

Mar 27, 2013
siobe said:
Hi,

I would like to ask if I can renew my TRV from within Canada even if I couldn't send a letter of employment which is part of the Document Checklist? I have a valid WP but I'm no longer working with my old employer. I have a positive LMO with a new employer and I'm planning to flagpole to the nearest border to get my new WP but the problem is my TRV is expired! I believed it would take 70 days wait for the WP as per CIC update

Badly need some advise. Many thanks !
Hi siobe,
We are exactly on the same situation. (Kinda wondering too if we were on the same company)...Anyways, i just wanted to know if you were able to flagpole with an expired trv or did u go ahead and applied for a new trv without an emplyer's letter?
Your response wud be greatly appreciated! God bless!

vanillasky

Star Member
Jan 22, 2013
hi i am too kinda going in the same situation id like to ask if anyone here had any useful information regarding flagpoling with expired trv but with newly issued work visa and thats why needed to go to the border to get the new work permit. first time getting a work permit from being a visitor here in canada please i hope anyone could help

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
I flagpoled successfully with a valid WP and an expired TRV.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applying-for-work-permit-extensionrenewal-at-canadianus-border-t119775.0.html

vanillasky

Star Member
Jan 22, 2013
MasterGeek said:
I flagpoled successfully with a valid WP and an expired TRV.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applying-for-work-permit-extensionrenewal-at-canadianus-border-t119775.0.html
What do u think if a visitor eith expired trv will flagpole to get my new work permit for first time? Is it the same

MasterGeek

Jul 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
24-05-2012
Med's Request
24-05-2012
Med's Done....
30-05-2012
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
LANDED..........
August 2013
vanillasky said:
What do u think if a visitor eith expired trv will flagpole to get my new work permit for first time? Is it the same
You need to be exempted from TRV to be able to flagpole for a new work permit. Some of the ways to be exempted from TRV are:
  • Hold a passport from a visa exempted country; or
  • Hold a valid work or study permit and be re-entering Canada following a visit to the US