App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hey, so I'm on a work permit till the end of 2017. I'm currently inside Canada and I'm planning to travel for two weeks. From what I got on the CIC website, I needed to apply for a TRV. And so I did.

Now the problem is I'm not exactly sure I ended up applying for the right visa. I took the eligibility test and did whatever it suggested I do.
The form I ended up filling was IMM 5257E. Can someone confirm if this is the right form and put me at ease here. I'd hate to be waiting months only to find out I effed up right before my departure.

If anyone else here is on a PGWP, what do you use to get back into Canada?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
If you enter Canada on a TRV, they will cancel your work permit on the spot. You need a work visa.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
truesmile said:
If you enter Canada on a TRV, they will cancel your work permit on the spot. You need a work visa.
Are TRVs different from Multiple Entry Visas? I was under the impression that they're the same thing.

I have never heard of a work visa, I've only had work permits. Before my last entry visa expired, it got me through customs just fine. It was merely an entry visa. Would that be what you're talking about?

Lastly, why would they feel the need to cancel my work permit if I've got a TRV? It's my understanding that I NEED a TRV if I wanna get back into the country when I return, along with my work permit.

Correct me please if I'm wrong anywhere.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I'm not sure of the wording but they are coded "W-1". A W-1 can be multiple entry as can a TRV also. The two terms are not synonymous.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
truesmile said:
I'm not sure of the wording but they are coded "W-1". A W-1 can be multiple entry as can a TRV also. The two terms are not synonymous.
So I tried to look up a W-1 visa and couldn't find a whole lot. One thing I should mention is that my permit is a Post-Grad Work Permit, idk if that changes things.

I'm just a little more confused now than when I started. I checked websites for University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University. Here's an excerpt from the UBC Student Services Page:

"Depending on your citizenship, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. This document is also called a TRV or an entry visa. A TRV is different from a study permit: it is used to enter Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips abroad."

Since 'Worker' and 'Student' are both temporary resident statuses, the rules for them should be very similar right?

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
truesmile said:
When I applied for my TRV I was required to upload a scanned copy of my work permit. So what you're saying is they want to issue me a TRV for the length of my work permit only to cancel my permit on the spot the first time I try to use the TRV?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ignore truesmile's advice.

Yes, you need a TRV to re-enter Canada.

Yes, you filled out the right form.

No, your work permit will NOT BE CANCELLED when you re-enter Canada on this TRV. Absolutely ridiculous to even suggest this.

There is no such thing as a "work visa". TRVs are issued on the basis of a person being a worker, student or visitor and have designations listed on them to that effect (W1, S1 etc.) but they are all still TRVs.

electrolychee

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 17, 2015
AOR Received.
July 20, 2015
File Transfer...
August 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
canuck_in_uk said:
Ignore truesmile's advice.

Yes, you need a TRV to re-enter Canada.

Yes, you filled out the right form.

No, your work permit will NOT BE CANCELLED when you re-enter Canada on this TRV. Absolutely ridiculous to even suggest this.

There is no such thing as a "work visa". TRVs are issued on the basis of a person being a worker, student or visitor and have designations listed on them to that effect (W1, S1 etc.) but they are all still TRVs.
You the man bruh, thanks for clearing things up.

I was pretty skeptical about truesmile's advice, glad I waited for you to come through. Thanks for being the first though truesmile, appreciate that.