+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling abroad for months at a time - what to write in address history?

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have tried to find a post on this forum of someone in a similar situation but haven't found any.

In the past 10 years I have travelled extensively to different countries for months at a time without returning home. Sometimes I stayed in one city just a few days and sometimes I stayed in one city for two to three months. Then, I'd return home for a week or two, and left again to go travelling for a few months. I was unemployed at the time, so I never changed my address (bank statements etc would still be sent to my home address).

What do I write in my address history?
1. Do I keep my home address - however, in that case my personal history would state "travelling for months in country X", but the address history would state an address in my home country, which would be a mismatch - and explain this in my LOE?
2. Or do I write the addresses of the places abroad where I stayed in one place for a few months and write in my LOE that I was still registered at my home address while I was travelling?
3. And what about when I was away for a few months but going from place to place, never staying longer than a few days in one place?

Many thanks for your help!

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Just pick a permenant address (your parents or landing address) and explain in LOE that you in put this so there would be no gaps in the history.

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
kryt0n said:
Just pick a permenant address (your parents or landing address) and explain in LOE that you in put this so there would be no gaps in the history.

Thanks kryt0n, so you would suggest I leave my home address (which is also my parents's address) and explain in the LOE that I was always registered here, even when I was travelling and thus physically home for only maybe 1 or 2 weeks at a time in between months of being abroad?
In the LOE, should I then write "I was registered at my home address but when I was abroad I stayed at address X for three months (insert exact dates)"? Because when they look at my Personal and Travel History, initially see would see a mismatch ("candidate has indicated address in home country but her personal history indicates she was abroad for months at that time, so she was not physically living in her home country") and if there is no explanation or address for when I stayed abroad in city X for a few months I'm afraid they'd think I'm lying or misrepresenting myself.
Another question: these long trips will not only be in my Travel History but also in my Personal History as every month has to be accounted for - do I indicate this in the Personal History as "Activity type: unemployed" in "Country where activity took place: country X"?

I appreciate your help.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
For 3 months I travelled around SEA while moving from NZ to UK. I put down my 'landing' address and explained this in the LOE. "While I was travelling around SEA my address duing that time is my landing address (this is the address we would have returned to if our trip had been cut short)." Etc...

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Oh and in travel history we separated entry and exit to each country (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc)

In personal history I put "Unemployed - Travelling SEA"

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
Thanks a lot, kryt0n, that is helpful. I am doing the same in my personal history. It only allows me to write one city, so I will mention the other cities that I was visiting in my LOE.

As for the address, I think I will do the same as you: mention my home address (which is also the landing address in case my trips were cut short) and in the LOE explain this and mention the addresses of the cities I stayed in for a period of time longer than one month.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
HHope8 said:
Thanks a lot, kryt0n, that is helpful. I am doing the same in my personal history. It only allows me to write one city, so I will mention the other cities that I was visiting in my LOE.

As for the address, I think I will do the same as you: mention my home address (which is also the landing address in case my trips were cut short) and in the LOE explain this and mention the addresses of the cities I stayed in for a period of time longer than one month.
Just make sure that you have the correct PCCs needed. If you are *close* to 180 days cumulative in a country I would suggest getting a police check for that time. In my case I wasn't more than 3 weeks in those countries while I traveled. I mentioned this in my LOE too.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
"The period February 2016 to April 2016 is listed as Unemployed and travelling South East Asia – country Thailand and city “Various”. Exact details of countries and dates entered/exited can be found in Travel History."

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
Perfect, thanks! That's a good way of writing it. And yes, the total accumulated time for some of those countries is more than or close to 180 days, so I already obtained PCCs for all of them.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
HHope8 said:
Perfect, thanks! That's a good way of writing it. And yes, the total accumulated time for some of those countries is more than or close to 180 days, so I already obtained PCCs for all of them.
Good forward thinking! :D

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
Indeed :)

Have you submitted your application already? I am wondering if there's anyone else who has been in a similar situation and who obtained permanent residency already - and if they handled their travelling situation the same or a different way.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
HHope8 said:
Indeed :)

Have you submitted your application already? I am wondering if there's anyone else who has been in a similar situation and who obtained permanent residency already - and if they handled their travelling situation the same or a different way.
No, I'm not here yet but I'm just going by common sense and understanding that the system doesn't allow for unusual circumstances, hence the loe bit. Overall I think that as you have the PCCs already you'll be fine.

I'm not sure I've encountered anyone on the forums with a similar situation yet

HHope8

Mar 4, 2017
kryt0n said:
"The period February 2016 to April 2016 is listed as Unemployed and travelling South East Asia – country Thailand and city “Various”. Exact details of countries and dates entered/exited can be found in Travel History."
Kryt0n, did you mention all the cities within the countries you visited in SEA in your LOE as well?