+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Outside Canada on maintained Status

karan239

Jan 14, 2022
My work permit has expired on 1st December 2023. I have to travel to India on 14 January 2024. I already applied for extension of my work permit on 19 October 2023. I have no other option other than visiting India in January since it's my own marriage. When I come back in February and I don't have work permit, what would happen?
Please give me options
Note: I have TRV till 2026.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
My work permit has expired on 1st December 2023. I have to travel to India on 14 January 2024. I already applied for extension of my work permit on 19 October 2023. I have no other option other than visiting India in January since it's my own marriage. When I come back in February and I don't have work permit, what would happen?
Please give me options
Note: I have TRV till 2026.
you are currently on implied status with your WP
You can travel and return as a visitor - But may not be able to work during that time

Jun 17, 2024
Hey , Since you have some simillar situation like me , please let me know if you have any idea about following ? I just have one question regarding post graduation work permit will you able to help me ? My studies gonna complete on august 7 and my official transcript would be supposed to receive on September 7. So, in how much days I will receive my work permit according to your experience? After that how much time does it take to receive my TRV ? If I dont receive my work permit on time Is it okay to travel on Maintained status ? Moreover, I have TRV which gonna expire on 31 december 2024 , Is it okay to travel if my trv is expiring on 31st december and I am returning canada on 19th december ? I am confused because I think that border officer gonna ask me that If your TRV is expiring in 10 days then why you are going to canada? Can you explain me this please?

karan239

Jan 14, 2022
Hey , Since you have some simillar situation like me , please let me know if you have any idea about following ? I just have one question regarding post graduation work permit will you able to help me ? My studies gonna complete on august 7 and my official transcript would be supposed to receive on September 7. So, in how much days I will receive my work permit according to your experience? After that how much time does it take to receive my TRV ? If I dont receive my work permit on time Is it okay to travel on Maintained status ? Moreover, I have TRV which gonna expire on 31 december 2024 , Is it okay to travel if my trv is expiring on 31st december and I am returning canada on 19th december ? I am confused because I think that border officer gonna ask me that If your TRV is expiring in 10 days then why you are going to canada? Can you explain me this please?
You can travel on maintained status. But when returning you must return as a visitor and you won't be allowed to work if the application is not approved.
If it is approved, you can enter as a worker.
Work permit takes about 4-6 months and TRV about 1-2 months. Its really risky to travel when your trv is about to expire.
According to me you must have your work permit and trv and then only travel