+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel eligibility in covid situation

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
Hi,
First message. If the forum is wrong, pls suggest correct one.
Running the risk of tl;dr. Thanks in advance if you do read in full :)

My background: I have a work permit that was issued in early February. The Canada Immigration web site assert that I'm allowed to travel to Canada. I live in India currently.

Issues:
- India has banned international travel since mid-March.
- It operates flights to evacuate Indian citizens from number of countries. Instead of taking empty flights from India, it allows anyone meeting certain criteria to travel on that flight to destination country.
- Canada itself has banned certain class of travelers like tourists and 'some' student permits.
- Recently, under US govt pressure, India started allowing few airlines to operate flight under repatriation scheme (still no open access).

Unfortunately, each airline seems to have different interpretation of who is eligible to travel to Canada by these flights.
- Air India seems to allow foreign citizens or Permanent Residents or Work Permit holders. There have been reports of Student Permit holders being barred to board the flight.
- KLM seems to allow foreign citizens or Permanent Residents. Customer Service (one of few still operational) explicitly told me Work Permit holders are not allowed to board under instructions from Indian government.
- Operators like Lufthansa talk in the same language as KLM on their web site. In addition it requires a transit visa to fly via Frankfurt.
- United Airlines seems to allow Canada Work Permit holders along with PR and citizens. It seems to require some form of US visa or transit visa.

I have two choices
- Book Air India ticket. Unfortunately, there is such scarcity of ticket availability and such a poor management of ticket allocation that it seems like a lottery to purchase a ticket. Indira License Raj back in full force.
- I have a valid US B1 visa. It seems like I can book a ticket on United Airlines.

Few questions:
- Why different interpretation across airlines? Which one is correct?
- If I go by above guidance and book a ticket with airline which seems to allow Canada Work Permit holder to travel, but for whatever confusion I'm barred at the airport from boarding, what are my choices besides rescheduling the flight? I'm certain about Canada immigration allowing my entrance. Can I show the online content to reason with these folks?
- Is there any risk in booking and travelling via UA via Newark to Toronto, given my Canada Work Permit and US B1 visa? Do I need to go through customs and recheckin at Newark before I catch connecting flight to Toronto?
- Why do I require transit visa on these repatriation flights?
- Is there any other airline that would allow my case to fly to Canada?
- Anyone out there with similar case as mine and traveled by airline other than Air India? Can you share your experience?

Thanks,
_shailesh

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I will answer at least the US transit question in that anyone transiting the US has to pass through US immigration. If you have a through ticket to Toronto generally apart from passing through US immigration you would normally expect to be checked all the way through and stay airside for the connection. You should double check that the US continues to allow travel from India given the US often changes which countries are allowed to travel to the US even transit due to COVID

As for boarding in India then can only quote what others have said on this forum in that airline checkin desks have the capability to verify directly with CBSA who they can allow to board or not. Airlines having different interpretations of rules is nothing new unfortunately but has just become more obvious with COVID.

As for Indian government restricting who can board flights maybe they are exercising that right if they are in some way paying towards cost of repat flights, I have no idea.

Hopefully others will comment as well in more detail given things are changing all the time

Reactions: Shailesh M

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will also need to prove that you still have a Canadian job waiting for yo7 on your arrival after waiting so long to travel. It would be much better to travel to Canada directly.

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
You will also need to prove that you still have a Canadian job waiting for yo7 on your arrival after waiting so long to travel. It would be much better to travel to Canada directly.
Thanks for responding.
Any reason you mentioned about traveling directly to Canada? Is it just to avoid transit questions?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for responding.
Any reason you mentioned about traveling directly to Canada? Is it just to avoid transit questions?
The staff will be more familiar with the travel requirements to get to Canada. You also won’t have to spend 14 days in the US.

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
The staff will be more familiar with the travel requirements to get to Canada. You also won’t have to spend 14 days in the US.
You mean to say, even at transit airport they enforce 14 days quarantine? I know many US airports do not have direct transit facility and require to do immigration, customs check. But quarantine requirement for transiting? Do you have any link?

Aug 14, 2020
Hi,
First message. If the forum is wrong, pls suggest correct one.
Running the risk of tl;dr. Thanks in advance if you do read in full :)

My background: I have a work permit that was issued in early February. The Canada Immigration web site assert that I'm allowed to travel to Canada. I live in India currently.

Issues:
- India has banned international travel since mid-March.
- It operates flights to evacuate Indian citizens from number of countries. Instead of taking empty flights from India, it allows anyone meeting certain criteria to travel on that flight to destination country.
- Canada itself has banned certain class of travelers like tourists and 'some' student permits.
- Recently, under US govt pressure, India started allowing few airlines to operate flight under repatriation scheme (still no open access).

Unfortunately, each airline seems to have different interpretation of who is eligible to travel to Canada by these flights.
- Air India seems to allow foreign citizens or Permanent Residents or Work Permit holders. There have been reports of Student Permit holders being barred to board the flight.
- KLM seems to allow foreign citizens or Permanent Residents. Customer Service (one of few still operational) explicitly told me Work Permit holders are not allowed to board under instructions from Indian government.
- Operators like Lufthansa talk in the same language as KLM on their web site. In addition it requires a transit visa to fly via Frankfurt.
- United Airlines seems to allow Canada Work Permit holders along with PR and citizens. It seems to require some form of US visa or transit visa.

I have two choices
- Book Air India ticket. Unfortunately, there is such scarcity of ticket availability and such a poor management of ticket allocation that it seems like a lottery to purchase a ticket. Indira License Raj back in full force.
- I have a valid US B1 visa. It seems like I can book a ticket on United Airlines.

Few questions:
- Why different interpretation across airlines? Which one is correct?
- If I go by above guidance and book a ticket with airline which seems to allow Canada Work Permit holder to travel, but for whatever confusion I'm barred at the airport from boarding, what are my choices besides rescheduling the flight? I'm certain about Canada immigration allowing my entrance. Can I show the online content to reason with these folks?
- Is there any risk in booking and travelling via UA via Newark to Toronto, given my Canada Work Permit and US B1 visa? Do I need to go through customs and recheckin at Newark before I catch connecting flight to Toronto?
- Why do I require transit visa on these repatriation flights?
- Is there any other airline that would allow my case to fly to Canada?
- Anyone out there with similar case as mine and traveled by airline other than Air India? Can you share your experience?

Thanks,
_shailesh
Hi Shailesh,

I too have a similar issue. Just one question - Is your work permit open or closed?
If you don't mind me asking, if you have a closed WP, is your company allowing you to travel in this current situation?

Thanks & regards,
Abhishek

Reactions: RnDtech

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
Hi Shailesh,

I too have a similar issue. Just one question - Is your work permit open or closed?
If you don't mind me asking, if you have a closed WP, is your company allowing you to travel in this current situation?

Thanks & regards,
Abhishek
Hi Abhishek,
Mine is closed WP. I'm fortunate to have a very supportive manager and the org.

I booked a ticket on Air Canada. Fingers crossed.

regards,
_shailesh

Krdk

Jul 14, 2020
@shailesh please do share your experience once you enter canada.
Could you share what all documents are you carrying with you for your travel.

Thanks
Krdk

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
Besides the usual documents and work permit related docs, I will carry a quarantine plan letter. I saw a youtube video on its content; travel to the place, essential supplies arrangement, medical requirements etc.

RnDtech

Mar 18, 2020
Besides the usual documents and work permit related docs, I will carry a quarantine plan letter. I saw a youtube video on its content; travel to the place, essential supplies arrangement, medical requirements etc.
What are the documents that you will carry along with you to enter?
I will bring the following:

- Employer specific work permit stamp on passport
-Letter from employer saying that they are still open and I will start working after arrival and self-isolation.
-I will prepare a quarantine plan for myself and have hotel reservation .

Do we need anything else to enter to Canada? I will travel as single person who holds the work permit. I do not have a letter of introduction / port of entry.
Will it be enough to have work visa stamp on the passport? or Do I have to obtain Letter of introduction prior to boarding my flight?

Thanks.

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
What are the documents that you will carry along with you to enter?
I will bring the following:

- Employer specific work permit stamp on passport
-Letter from employer saying that they are still open and I will start working after arrival and self-isolation.
-I will prepare a quarantine plan for myself and have hotel reservation .

Do we need anything else to enter to Canada? I will travel as single person who holds the work permit. I do not have a letter of introduction / port of entry.
Will it be enough to have work visa stamp on the passport? or Do I have to obtain Letter of introduction prior to boarding my flight?

Thanks.
Check with your lawyer once.
My company's lawyer told me to carry following
  • Approval letters;
  • Signed Use of a Representative forms;
  • Offer of Employment letter
  • Copy of approved LMIA
  • Copy of our Submission Letter.
  • And now, quarantine plan
Regards,
_shailesh

Reactions: cybertruck

parthgusani

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
App. Filed.......
1 june
Med's Request
13 june
Passport Req..
10 july
VISA ISSUED...
approved
Check with your lawyer once.
My company's lawyer told me to carry following
  • Approval letters;
  • Signed Use of a Representative forms;
  • Offer of Employment letter
  • Copy of approved LMIA
  • Copy of our Submission Letter.
  • And now, quarantine plan
Regards,
_shailesh
did you manage to enter Canada by air Canada? can you share your experience?

Shailesh M

Aug 7, 2020
Yes. Not much hassle except to wear a mask for the whole travel. I found the thick 6 layer mask quite difficult to breath properly. Switched to thinner one at the Delhi airport.
Food was better than I expected.
Flight was packed, but I'm glad I did not give my money to monopolistic and incompetent Air India.
Such non-stop flight can be taxing for your back.
Customs and immigration experience was cordial.
I travelled in Sept. I think now Canada has mandated Covid test before boarding a flight. They may be administering another test upon landing. Not sure if it is mandatory.

parthgusani

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
App. Filed.......
1 june
Med's Request
13 june
Passport Req..
10 july
VISA ISSUED...
approved
Yes. Not much hassle except to wear a mask for the whole travel. I found the thick 6 layer mask quite difficult to breath properly. Switched to thinner one at the Delhi airport.
Food was better than I expected.
Flight was packed, but I'm glad I did not give my money to monopolistic and incompetent Air India.
Such non-stop flight can be taxing for your back.
Customs and immigration experience was cordial.
I travelled in Sept. I think now Canada has mandated Covid test before boarding a flight. They may be administering another test upon landing. Not sure if it is mandatory.

did they ask for job letter or any other proofs?