+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit or Tourist Visa

ashishsharma

Mar 14, 2015
I had a TRV refusal earlier, probably as a potential immigrant (applied from India). I am currently working in U.S.

I want to apply for TRV to Canada. I am little scared of getting rejected again. I was thinking in order to increase my chances of approval, I should apply for a transit visa first (maybe book flight to India going through Canada or book cruise ship which goes through Canada). Once I have one transit visa approval, subsequent TRV approval should be easy.

I heard that chances of approval of transit visa are higher than regular Visitor visa. Is that correct?

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
ashishsharma said:
I had a TRV refusal earlier, probably as a potential immigrant (applied from India). I am currently working in U.S.

I want to apply for TRV to Canada. I am little scared of getting rejected again. I was thinking in order to increase my chances of approval, I should apply for a transit visa first (maybe book flight to India going through Canada or book cruise ship which goes through Canada). Once I have one transit visa approval, subsequent TRV approval should be easy.

I heard that chances of approval of transit visa are higher than regular Visitor visa. Is that correct?
Lol. Each application is treated as different. What was the refusal in the first case? I think as you are staying in US, your case for TRV should be stronger. You can say that you want to visit friends, and as your Staying in US it makes more sense to visit them now than going to India and visiting them back. Now you can show you have strong reason to return to US as you work there.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I was thinking in order to increase my chances of approval, I should apply for a transit visa first (maybe book flight to India going through Canada or book cruise ship which goes through Canada). Once I have one transit visa approval, subsequent TRV approval should be easy.
An unusual visa strategy :) I would not try this route because TRVs and transit visas are two different scenarios.

The visa officer will also question why you want to take a detour via Canada (transit visa scenario) when there are direct flights to the US from India.

You must address your TRV refusal reasons + apply for a TRV instead
1. What were the reasons for your previous refusal?

2. When were you refused?

3. What ties can you demonstrate to both India and the US? Employment + property ownership + family ties + travel history, etc

4. What is your purpose to visit Canada? Do you have a Canadian host/family?

ashishsharma

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

Explaining little more about my situation. I recently got married and my spouse has a Canadian PR. She is living and working with me in US. My TRV rejection was before our marriage. Now, my spouse having Canadian PR might weaken my TRV chances (plus I already have TRV rejected once).

Bryanna said:
The visa officer will also question why you want to take a detour via Canada (transit visa scenario) when there are direct flights to the US from India.
Yes, I agree flight is the bad idea, I was thinking mostly about cruise ship to Alaska from Seattle. All alaska cruises go through Canada and require Canadian transit visa. I went on a cruise trip to Bahamas few months back, and I can explain that we want to go for Alaska cruise this time.

1. What were the reasons for your previous refusal?
"Given economic condition, employment prospect, considering your travel history, economic establishment and family ties, I am not satisfied that you would respect the term of your admission as a temporary resident in Canada"

Bryanna said:
2. When were you refused?
7 months back.

3. What ties can you demonstrate to both India and the US? Employment + property ownership + family ties + travel history, etc
Employment in US, no property. Currently Improving travel history by getting few more visa (Australia, new zealand, bahamas, schengen, U.K. etc.)

Bryanna said:
4. What is your purpose to visit Canada? Do you have a Canadian host/family?
That's the most important question. The real reason is that me and my spouse want to enter Canada and apply for my Inland spousal PR application. We don't want outland spousal application since that would require us to live separately (me outside Canada and her inside Canada). However, to apply for inland, i need a visa to enter Canada once. I can't mention this as a reason to apply for TRV, as that would be an immigrant intent and govt. also prefer outland applications over inland.

For the purpose to mention in my TRV application, one reason could be that I want to do a vacation for a week in Vancouver. Another one can be cruise trip to Alaska requiring transit visa. Given all other factors are same, would a transit visa (for cruise trip to alaska) would be easier to get approved as compared to visitor visa for a regular week long vacation trip (via flight) to Vancouver?

I know there are multiple aspects of this situation. Currently, my question is specifically about Transit (cruise) vs TRV. However, if you have any other suggestions, that are welcome too.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Typically cruises to Alaska have Canadian ports of call and so you would require a TRV (transit visa won't be accepted - even if you plan to stay on the ship).

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Scylla is right. You need a TRV (and not a Transit Visa) if you take a cruise that will stop at a Canadian port. IRCC clearly states this requirement. So, the cruise/transit visa idea is a non-starter.

Assuming you still want to take a detour/fly via Canada, you'll have to declare your Canadian PR wife in the Family Information form = weakens your chances of approval + there are several direct flights to the US from India.

My advice:
1. Drop the idea of a Transit Visa. It won't help you to get the TRV.

2. The inland PR route is also not a good idea.

3. Your wife may want to consider moving back to Canada for a few months..... then apply for your PR (outland process).... when your file is transferred then you can apply for a TRV. This could help you to get a TRV

Cheers