+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

capermanet

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Just piss me off, when I read some reviews. every one thinks that has more bad situation to another. They think is just and blessing to be here,
Some people just don't realize that some ppl sold everything what they have to settle here to plan they future life in Canada.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Selling one's property does not entitle someone to get citizenship. Citizenship is a privilege not a right.

This country has some laws which need to be abided by regardless of our situation.

Yes the process is frustrating, but the best way to overcome it is to speak to your local MP or reach out to a senator.

I have tweeted senators, emailed my local MP and reached out to the immigration minister. Lets all collectively make our voice heard that way hopefully C-6 gets implemented & ask that CIC makes the appropriate provisions to handle the influx of applications.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
pk10 said:
I've been in Canada for 15 years and still not a citizen. Have to wait another year before I can apply.
How come you've been here that long and didn't qualify for citizenship earlier, what was your status during those years?

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
It's almost 5 weeks since senate is in session. What does everyone 'feel' about C-6 getting royal assent this year OR getting totally disbanded?

C-24 was passed in a breeze compared to so much of discussion. I know Conservatives were in majority etc BUT still....it's too much time since this got stuck in second reading.

Thoughts?

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017
What was outcome of today's session

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
amitshipra said:
It's almost 5 weeks since senate is in session. What does everyone 'feel' about C-6 getting royal assent this year OR getting totally disbanded?

C-24 was passed in a breeze compared to so much of discussion. I know Conservatives were in majority etc BUT still....it's too much time since this got stuck in second reading.

Thoughts?
It's clear by now that Bill C-6 will see delays due to a possible amendment. Senators in support of the bill hoping that it gets moved to the committee by next week or so. I think C-6 will get royal assent sometime next year. Very low chance of being disbanded.

myYahoo

Star Member
Aug 4, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-07-2013
AOR Received.
26-09-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2014
Med's Done....
05-03-2014
Passport Req..
17-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2014
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2016/10/27/prime-minister-announces-intention-recommend-appointment-nine-new-senators

Anvatrix

Star Member
Oct 22, 2016
zzzzzzzz said:
It's clear by now that Bill C-6 will see delays due to a possible amendment. Senators in support of the bill hoping that it gets moved to the committee by next week or so. I think C-6 will get royal assent sometime next year. Very low chance of being disbanded.
What kind of possible amendment will it be? Are senators thinking of shooting down some of the provisions of the Bill C-6?

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Anvatrix said:
What kind of possible amendment will it be? Are senators thinking of shooting down some of the provisions of the Bill C-6?
I'm no expert, but I think Sen. Omidvar intends to include an amendment about that changes the government's authority of repealing citizenship of those who misrepresent details (or something like that). This is in part due to a liberal MP Maryam Monsef recently learning that her country of birth was Iran, not Afghanistan, and she came to Canada as an Afghani refugee. Current laws don't protect her and may lead to stripping off her citizenship. The latest delays in the reading of the Bill either all seem to point towards an amendment, or a wait till the rest of the empty Senate spots are filled up, and the Senate has a non-Conservative majority.

amitshipra

Apr 28, 2016
zzzzzzzz said:
I'm no expert, but I think Sen. Omidvar intends to include an amendment about that changes the government's authority of repealing citizenship of those who misrepresent details (or something like that). This is in part due to a liberal MP Maryam Monsef recently learning that her country of birth was Iran, not Afghanistan, and she came to Canada as an Afghani refugee. Current laws don't protect her and may lead to stripping off her citizenship. The latest delays in the reading of the Bill either all seem to point towards an amendment, or a wait till the rest of the empty Senate spots are filled up, and the Senate has a non-Conservative majority.
That's interesting as well as probable. There is lot of discussion within last week - probably every alternate day. Let's hope appointing senators would cut short this debate. Getting fed up with this.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
zzzzzzzz said:
I'm no expert, but I think Sen. Omidvar intends to include an amendment about that changes the government's authority of repealing citizenship of those who misrepresent details (or something like that). This is in part due to a liberal MP Maryam Monsef recently learning that her country of birth was Iran, not Afghanistan, and she came to Canada as an Afghani refugee.
I don't think that she just learned that she was born in Iran. She had mentioned being of Persian descent it in earlier appearances. This is just a pure political cover-up and it exposes the true hypocrisy of Trudeau's government that they are treating her differently than all other immigrants.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
I don't think that she just learned that she was born in Iran. She had mentioned being of Persian descent it in earlier appearances. This is just a pure political cover-up and it exposes the true hypocrisy of Trudeau's government that they are treating her differently than all other immigrants.
Half of Afghan people are of Persian descent. Being born in a country doesn't mean at all that you are of that country's descent. Usually this has to do with ethnicity and family.

But I agree with you on the fact that she didn't learn that just now, it seems too theatrical and fake and the Liberals lost a lot of credit (with me at least) by how they handled this case.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zzzzzzzz said:
It's more the preparation of the amendment. In my opinion.
And even if changed, they law won't protect her more than it does know. Actually, it will remove the power from the hands of McCallum (who is protecting her), and put it in the hands of a more impartial body (most likely the Federal Court. She will just have a hearing and an appeal process. If the misrepresentation was material, then she will lose her citizenship, whether it's now or in 10 years.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
admontreal said:
Half of Afghan people are of Persian descent. Being born in a country doesn't mean at all that you are of that country's descent. Usually this has to do with ethnicity and family.
By that logic, we are all of African descent, since the remains of the earliest humans were found there. But how many times have you said that to refer to your origins?

Being from that part of the world, I can assure you that nationalism runs high and no one says they are of Persian descent unless they are actually from Iran.