12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
steerpike said:
If they want a cover letter then *ask for* a cover letter. The Government of Canada has spend thousands of man hours and millions of dollars of OUR taxes designing this system. Its completely inexcusable for there to be "unspoken rules" or purposefully misleading directives (although both are common).
[/quote

I personally think the cover letter is unnecessary. If someone working at a VISA OFFICE can't see the IMMIGRATION FORMS and figure out what's going on..... well...... that person probably needs a new job..... We all do silly things from time to time, but I'm pretty sure that one isn't going to confuse anyone.

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
I stand true that a cover letter makes NO difference.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
sariss said:
I stand true that a cover letter makes NO difference.
Exactly.

Send them what they request and extra stuff only if your proof of your relationship is lacking. Ask yourself the who, what, where, when, why and how of your own relationship and if you can provide substantiated answers to all 6 queries then that is a good application.

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
We didn't enclose a cover letter either may be we should :( This information only a lawyer may know anyway.

Peachnibbler

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2013
Interview........
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Declined
We did not submit a cover letter with our application but hit the rest of your 10 points. Do you think it would be worthwhile to bring a cover letter to the interview? We have one scheduled for August 28th, 2013.

Peachnibbler

gladiateur19 said:
Hi again,,i hope this could help you to understand better.

7 Essential Elements In a Sponsorship Cover Letter
Posted on March 7th, 2013 in Canada Immigration Success, Immigration - Canada
You're going to apply under one of the Canadian immigration categories. You've collected the forms. You've reviewed our video tutorials (hopefully). You've also followed the CIC checklists and instructions, collected your evidence and supporting paperwork for your category.
Ready to submit, right?
Wrong.
You need a cover letter. Well, you don't need one in the sense that it's a required document, but it can sure help your application. A visa officer is a human being, and a cover letter that sets the stage for your application puts him or her in a better mood, as all the pertinent facts are summarized right at the beginning, so he or she knows how to approach the file.
More importantly, a cover letter lets you put your most compelling facts or evidence before the visa officer from the outset. It can make a positive impression on the officer, and hopefully that positive impression influences his or her review of your application.
But what do you put in a cover letter?
Here are the top XX things you should put in a cover letter. I'm going to use a sponsorship application for a married couple as an example in this post (I'll cover other applications in future posts). These aren't the only things (each cover letter is unique to an individual's specific facts and exact category of immigration), but they are essential.
1) Names and dates
It's a good idea to open your cover letter with the name of the sponsor (with “sponsor” after the name) and the principal applicant (with “sponsored spouse” after the name), including ages and birth dates. Include the category under which you are applying (“family class, spousal”) to immigrate, and the names, birth dates of any accompanying dependents. This way, the visa officer knows (for example), that this is a family of four, with a male Canadian sponsor and one minor child applying for sponsorship.
2) In-Canada or Out-of-Canada
There are two processes for sponsorship. Indicate if you are applying under the in-Canada or out-of-Canada stream. Each uses different forms, and has different evidentiary requirements.
3) Ask for an opportunity to address outstanding issues
As an element of procedural fairness in immigration law, it is often the case that applicants should have an opportunity to address concerns that visa officers may have. Politely reminding the visa officer of this fact is a good idea, and it puts it on the record.
4) Summary of period before the wedding
Although you've provided some of this information in your forms, it is good practise to summarize it in the cover letter as well. How did you meet? What did you do after meeting? What did your dating life look like? At what point did you get serious enough to consider marriage? Who proposed and when? How much time did you spend together before the wedding?
Why write all this information? You're beginning to address the question of whether this is a genuine marriage or one made primarily for immigration purposes. The more detail you have, the better.
5) Summary of wedding
Again, even though this information is in the forms, summarize it in your letter as well. Where was it? Who attended? Religious or civil ceremony? Why?
You're telling a story here that the visa officer can follow and understand. Visa officers who follow and understand are more likely to approve if all the evidence is in order.
6) What happened after the wedding?
So you got married, great. What happened next? If there was a honeymoon, describe it in detail. If not, then give a compelling reason why. Perhaps funds are tight, maybe one of you had to get back to work. Whatever the reason, be sure to say something about the absence of a honeymoon.
7) Where do you plan to live after permanent residence is approved?
Permanent residence is not granted if the visa officer believes that the couple won't immediately live together in Canada after permanent residence is approved. So state that you plan to live at 123 Cherrywood Lane, Toronto, Ontario (or whatever your address is) as soon as permanent residence is approved.
This step is critically important for those couples living abroad, where a Canadian citizen is sponsoring his or her spouse and the sponsor does not reside in Canada. In this case, you need a pretty detailed plan detailing why you won't stay in your home country, why you want to move to Canada, and your detailed plan to move to Canada. In fact, I often prepare affidavits and other evidence in this instance, as this is such a crucial part of the application.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Peachnibbler said:
We did not submit a cover letter with our application but hit the rest of your 10 points. Do you think it would be worthwhile to bring a cover letter to the interview? We have one scheduled for August 28th, 2013.

Peachnibbler
i really have no idea,,,i just found this topic on one of the immigration website,and wanted to share it with you guys,i do think you are fine,,,no need to bring one to the interview
which visa office you are dealing with?

sariss

Jan 18, 2011
Collingwood Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2012
AOR Received.
August 22, 2012
File Transfer...
August 22, 2012
Med's Done....
April 4, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
November 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
December 10, 2012
LANDED..........
December 12, 2012
ekaterina1984 said:
We didn't enclose a cover letter either may be we should :( This information only a lawyer may know anyway.
Don't stress. We did not submit a cover letter and we were processed entirely in 7 months, with no hitches.

Peachnibbler

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2013
Interview........
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Declined
We are dealing with Ghana and I see that some people have had an easy time while others have had a horrific time. I have used a template to write a cover letter for my husband to bring with him to the interview. Just to clarify, on your list of 10 mistakes, we did not make any of these other than not supplying a cover letter. I think we will be fine but it is such a stressful process anyway and it is easy to start second guessing everything.

When we got the interview letter, I was annoyed to see that they wanted to see originals of everything that we had already sent (other than originals that they had asked for initially). We plan to bring updated information (emails since our application was sent, the original marriage certificate, original photos, originals of my trip to Nigeria and some copies of other photos, emails etc that we already sent (email, phone records etc.).

But the word is, just do what they ask.

Mostly I am worried about two things. We have the wrong birthdate for my father-in-law (by one month) and we have no original of the Medical Certificate signed by the physician in Lagos. I only have the original receipt of payment for the medical exam. My husband was asked to come to the clinic several times but each time he got there, they did not have the information ready for him, and in the end, told him he didn't need it. Very confusing.

Peachnibbler.

gladiateur19 said:
i really have no idea,,,i just found this topic on one of the immigration website,and wanted to share it with you guys,i do think you are fine,,,no need to bring one to the interview
which visa office you are dealing with?

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
Peachnibbler said:
We are dealing with Ghana and I see that some people have had an easy time while others have had a horrific time. I have used a template to write a cover letter for my husband to bring with him to the interview. Just to clarify, on your list of 10 mistakes, we did not make any of these other than not supplying a cover letter. I think we will be fine but it is such a stressful process anyway and it is easy to start second guessing everything.

When we got the interview letter, I was annoyed to see that they wanted to see originals of everything that we had already sent (other than originals that they had asked for initially). We plan to bring updated information (emails since our application was sent, the original marriage certificate, original photos, originals of my trip to Nigeria and some copies of other photos, emails etc that we already sent (email, phone records etc.).

But the word is, just do what they ask.

Mostly I am worried about two things. We have the wrong birthdate for my father-in-law (by one month) and we have no original of the Medical Certificate signed by the physician in Lagos. I only have the original receipt of payment for the medical exam. My husband was asked to come to the clinic several times but each time he got there, they did not have the information ready for him, and in the end, told him he didn't need it. Very confusing.

Peachnibbler.
when did you apply?for the medical they have changed it,it's a new system now,it's called emedical,i had it just a month ago or so,the doctor emailed me the receipt,it has my medical identification number,that's what they need,,,and for the birth date of your father in law,dont worry about that,it's a small mistake and he can tell them when he goes there for interview...dont worry too much
do you have any red flags?

RyanThomas

Jul 1, 2013
Hi gladiateur19,

Thanks for your posts. Its very useful information. I just have a few questions and would be really grateful if you could provide me with the answers

1. The cover letter you spoke about. Who should this letter be written by ? Sponsor or Sponsored Person ?

2. Also the application package consists of 2 parts .. The immigration forms (filled by the sponsored person) and the sponsorship forms (filled by the sponsor). Should I have these 2 separately in 2 separate envelops ? or should they all be in the same envelop ?

3. They have asked us to submit photos and other documents proving our relationship. How do I send photos ? Can I put the photographs in an envelop and write a brief explanation on the envelop and put this in the main envelop package ? Because they have asked not to put any files or binders etc. So I am not sure if I can put in any sub envelops inside the main envelop.

4. Is there any particular size for the main envelop ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ryan

hucards

Jun 21, 2013
We included a cover letter with a brief thank you for considering the application and an introduction and also listed everything extra we sent with the application. The amount of photos, the appendices, etc. why? Because too many people touch the application and it gets passed around a lot. It's too easy for something to get lost. If there is a list of what's included it's less likely to get lost. And if it does get lost at least I have proof that I sent it.

Would I have sent a cover letter if the processing time was two months instead of a year and it was processed locally vs. being sent to canada first then to a country that happens to be in the same continent as Japan? No. But we spent too much money and too much time to worry about little things. So we did. Better safe than sorry.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
hucards said:
We included a cover letter with a brief thank you for considering the application and an introduction and also listed everything extra we sent with the application. The amount of photos, the appendices, etc. why? Because too many people touch the application and it gets passed around a lot. It's too easy for something to get lost. If there is a list of what's included it's less likely to get lost. And if it does get lost at least I have proof that I sent it.

Would I have sent a cover letter if the processing time was two months instead of a year and it was processed locally vs. being sent to canada first then to a country that happens to be in the same continent as Japan? No. But we spent too much money and too much time to worry about little things. So we did. Better safe than sorry.

LOL.....I think he just dissed the Philippines......

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
RyanThomas said:
Hi gladiateur19,

Thanks for your posts. Its very useful information. I just have a few questions and would be really grateful if you could provide me with the answers

1. The cover letter you spoke about. Who should this letter be written by ? Sponsor or Sponsored Person ?

2. Also the application package consists of 2 parts .. The immigration forms (filled by the sponsored person) and the sponsorship forms (filled by the sponsor). Should I have these 2 separately in 2 separate envelops ? or should they all be in the same envelop ?

3. They have asked us to submit photos and other documents proving our relationship. How do I send photos ? Can I put the photographs in an envelop and write a brief explanation on the envelop and put this in the main envelop package ? Because they have asked not to put any files or binders etc. So I am not sure if I can put in any sub envelops inside the main envelop.

4. Is there any particular size for the main envelop ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ryan
Hi Ryan
1- the cover letter i believe it's the sponsor who should write it.
2-you can put the applicant forms in one envelope and the sponsor forms in another form,and put both of them in one big envelope,dont send them separately
3-yes you can Iput the photographs in an envelop and write a brief explanation on the envelop and put this in the main envelop package...dont forget to write on the back of each photo,who was in it and the date
4-i really have no idea,i dont know the answer for this question,but i dont think there is a particular size for the main envelope
i really hope if one of the guys here could answer that question
which visa office your file will be sent to???
thank you
Mohamed

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
The main envelope you may want to make sure it is durable and can be sealed with more than just licking it.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
hucards said:

We didn't do the cover letter, just table of contents, very specific. IE Page 1, This form, signed by this person. Page 4, This form, signed by this person, with extra sheet for extra information so on and so forth.