+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time for Criminal

KittyPolar

Jul 20, 2009
Hello,

I'm new here because I decided to get information outside of my representative because I doubt that he did his job right.

My husband applied for PR a year ago, I sponsor him. I'm canadian and I was accepted as a sponsor. The problem is that my husband as a minor criminal record that closed in 1996 (13 years ago)

Only last April, they decided that we had to apply for the Criminal Rehabilitation.... this can take up to a year!!!! So this mean another year to wait? It's been a year that my Husband did not see my kids....

Anyone had to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation? and how long did it took?

Thank you for your responses

A desperate wife.....

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By 'closed' do you mean 'expunged'? In some US states, an expunged record means that the record is sealed and never to be publicy seen again by anyone. Background checks will then show no criminal record and you can, legally, say that you have never been convicted and arrested. It is a 'technical pardon'. Only certain offenses can be eligible for expungement.

If the record is not expunged, you will have to consult a lawyer to see if you can get the record expunged in your state. I believe if you have an expunged record, the CIC will honor that expungement based on the criteria used to expunge the record. However, this is for the United States and I do not know about any records outside the States.

KittyPolar

Jul 20, 2009
Sorry for the confusion... by closed, I mean that he purged his sentence (only fees and 3 years probation), the probation was removed before therm for good behavior... We already asked the governor of his state and since it's a minor offence, they do not give pardon...

StressedT

May 15, 2009
Hi Kitty - sorry to give you bad news - but we have been waiting since May/Jun 2007 - yes 2007 - for a conjugal partner sponsorship with a minor criminal offense. We were denied in 2008 on the basis they didnt accept the relationship - we appealed as we have been together over 5 years - and we won in Oct 2008. Its now end July 2009 and we are still waiting - the CAIPS notes show that the file is in front of a immigration officer since May 2009. The criminal rehab paperwork was submitted in 2007. I dont know what else to say - its just so frustrating waiting and never hearing back from the visa office.