+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pseudowolf said:
Is this true or is it only true for New York? I will be exporting my car to Canada when I get my PR to live with my wife in Alberta. When the times comes, we will be crossing at the Coutts border crossing from Montana into Alberta. Will they accept the export of my car there or do i seriously have to drive to New York?
You can import your car at the Coutts crossing.

pseudowolf said:
Additionally, do I have to go in person to Buffalo to pick up my PR card or is that a choice to not further delay a landing?
As the other poster said, it's your choice. And it's the PR visa counterfoil stamped in your passport. Your PR card will be mailed to your address in Canada after you land as a PR.

pseudowolf said:
Lastly, I understand that Seattle would be my satellite office should they request an interview (I'm in Utah) but where would my fiance's interview be held as she is in Alberta? Would we interview at the same time inthe same place? Would she have to travel to the office in Ontario?
Your wife will not be interviewed. If the VO that is assessing your file has any questions for your wife, they will normally call them by telephone or request additional documents by email or letter mail.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all of your replies that cleared up my questions! Though I'm sure there will be more questions as the process moves forward I want to say how much I appreciate this forum and its members. It has and will continue to make this process much less painful.

Good luck and speedy apps to all!

-Wolf

fafi

Sep 17, 2010
kingston, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2010
BeShoo said:
This is a fairly standard question. You have to learn not to let it freak you out. The first time I was asked this I was going though U.S. customs and immigration at the Toronto airport. They asked, "Have you ever been denied entry before?" I was thinking, "I'm being denied now?" but they did let me go. I was almost late for the plane, so I was freaking out inside.

I can hardly believe the "anyone can print this stuff" comment. They're not all anything. Some of them are good. Some are bad. I was very afraid to tell them I was gay, but my avoiding the reason I was going to Florida so often to visit a guy for no apparent reson started to wear thin and I finally admitted it (more or less). I gave the wishy-washy answer, "He's kind of a boyfriend." The U.S. border guard said, "Cool!" but later warned me I couldn't just move to Florida. (Why would I want to live there? They seem to hate gay people. But I suppose if that's the only way we could be together... Well, he's here now and I'm not letting go of him.)
don't believe it if you don't want to :p out of the MANY times i have crossed, i remember only three times being easy/with no further questions. and everytime they ask said 'fairly standard question', we get taken into immigration and questioned for 40 min to two hours. it doesn't freak me out as much as it just annoys me! i feel you on the FL thing though, that's where i was lucky enough to just immigrate from, haha. everytime they question my girlfriend they ask why she's trying to move to FL when we go there to see my family (even when i'm crossing w/ her and we have return tickets and everything, ugh.). she once said, why would i give up my job, home, and healthcare to move to FL and pick oranges for a living? to which one of the guards responded, lots of people do it, you'd be surprised. i personally don't know why anyone would leave canada for the states, especially FL :p

and yeah, lewiston is the only place in NY, or that's what i was told from the border guards at the buffalo crossing.

i've been wanting to go get my driver's license but it's been so crappy out. for anyone else that has gotten theirs, do i have to retake the driving test or do i just swap them out?

ocu_canadian

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/01/2011
Doc's Request.
none needed
AOR Received.
29/05/2011
File Transfer...
08/02/2011
Med's Done....
16/11/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11/07/11
VISA ISSUED...
12/07/11
LANDED..........
12/07/11
I have had just a complete headache entering the US since August 30th. My wife and I came to Canada to visit my parents and so I can play in a golf tournament. Upon returning to the US we are made aware that the lady at my US school (which I graduated in May) screwed up my post graduation visa. When I was denied at the border that day we were both devastated, I mean I had no idea I was living in the US illegally, I would not do that knowingly. When we went inside the border guys joked at me wearing my Vikings Brett Favre jersey and said if it was a Lions jersey they would have let me thru. I thought to myself you inconsiderate prick. My wife is beside me balling her eyes out and you say that? I already wasn't very satisfied living down there, but ever since then i have lost so much respect for the USA

C

calmpersonality

my partner has his PR VISA now and he's already in canada legally. We called the local office in Alberta to book appointment to land but it's been a good 2MONTHS, 2 WEEKS , and no response.
we do not want to Flagpole for other reasons I cannot explain in this forum. I want to find out FROM THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY LANDED , whether it's
1. possible to go to the canadian side of ANY OF THE BORDERS without going through the US to flagpole. Sort of a u-turn? I need info more on boarders in ALberta, Ontario and BC.

THANKS

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Um......what's flagpole? LOL - sorry maybe I'm being a little duh but I've seen it before in this forum and I don't know what it is. Thanks.

-Wolf

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
calmpersonality said:
my partner has his PR VISA now and he's already in canada legally. We called the local office in Alberta to book appointment to land but it's been a good 2MONTHS, 2 WEEKS , and no response.
Call again and again and again.

calmpersonality said:
1. possible to go to the canadian side of ANY OF THE BORDERS without going through the US to flagpole. Sort of a u-turn? I need info more on boarders in ALberta, Ontario and BC.
No. In order to flagpole, you must go to the US side of the border, tell them you do NOT want to enter the US and advise them you are trying to do landing procedures in Canada. They "refuse" you entry (it's not a refusal that will affect your ability to enter the US in the future) and give you a turn around slip to take to the Canadian side of the border. With that, you go to the Canadian side and land.

C

calmpersonality

thanks Rhesomme.
We 've called about 5 times. Finally, the call centre agent told us last week that we should not call again and that her supervisor will contact the calgary office. after that, the supervisor will call us to let us know the date soon.
how soon? she could not tell .
I think this whole idea of being able to land with your local office is some sort of political talk/ policy. what sense does this policy make if you have to wait 3-4 months to get a date?

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
ocu_canadian said:
I have had just a complete headache entering the US since August 30th. My wife and I came to Canada to visit my parents and so I can play in a golf tournament. Upon returning to the US we are made aware that the lady at my US school (which I graduated in May) screwed up my post graduation visa. When I was denied at the border that day we were both devastated, I mean I had no idea I was living in the US illegally, I would not do that knowingly. When we went inside the border guys joked at me wearing my Vikings Brett Favre jersey and said if it was a Lions jersey they would have let me thru. I thought to myself you inconsiderate prick. My wife is beside me balling her eyes out and you say that? I already wasn't very satisfied living down there, but ever since then i have lost so much respect for the USA
US border officials are out of control. Here's one of the more objectionable comments I've received recently:

Upon explaining that I was in Mexico visiting my in-laws:

Official: "Why are they there of all places?" [look of disgust and disdain]
Me: Because they are Mexican.
Official: [look of disgust] So your husband is illegal. Most of the Mexicans in Canada are illegals come up from Detroit.
Me: Let me assure you that that is not the case.
Official: Oh, I'm just joking! Ha ha!

Every time I travel through the US on the way to Mexico I get at least one racist comment about my partner being Mexican, usually that he's an illegal fruit picker or using me for citizenship. Usually I get some kind of inappropriate "Hey pretty girl, nice legs" kind of remark at the same time.

I've started to think that being an inconsiderate, power-hungry, abusive prick is one of the job requirements. It's definitely coloured how I view that country, for the worse.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Mexicana I can't believe they can get away with such rude behavior. They should have to follow a specific code of conduct.

parceromiguel

Star Member
Dec 27, 2010
Unites States
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota, Colombia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-May-2011
AOR Received.
23-Aug-2011
Med's Done....
28-Jan-2011
Passport Req..
December-2013
VISA ISSUED...
14-Feb-2014
LANDED..........
22-Feb-2014
Hey there

I just wanted to ask you a few questions.

This is for anyone who would like to share!!!

When did you file your application?
How long did it take to be transferred to buffalo?
What kind of proves did you include?

Thank you.

We are new at this and we are just now getting everything together and organized.
I am just asking so i can have some sort of idea on how long everything takes.

Thank you.

ibrah1m

Jan 16, 2011
Summary of Your File (Caips Notes

Case type: immigrant
Class: family
Number of persons: 1
Application received: 30-Mar-2010
Paper screening decision: 08-Sep-2010 (passed)
Interview date: waived
Selection decision: 08-Sep-2010 (passed)
Final decision: not entered
Medical stage validity 14-Mar-2011
Bring forward date: 15-Feb-2011 Is this the next date when Immigration will going to review my file? Because i was wondering that how come my CAIPS notes state that still waiting for FBI clearance report where Canadian consulate general has received my FBI clearance on 28th Dec, 2010. Should I fax them again with the copy of My FBI clearance report. Please guide me with it

Assessment of Your File

On 06-Jan-2011 (page 3 of your CAIPS file), the date of the last note, Buffalo received communication from you that you had applied for the FBI certificate. Prior to that, on 08-Sep-2010 your file was assessed and your selection decision was interview waiver. Buffalo sent you a letter on
that date notifying you of the interview waiver and the additional documentation required for the
final decision.

There are some wiped-out entries in the file, partially or totally. These wiped-out entries are exempt from disclosure pursuant to section 15(1) of the Access to Information Act.Please check whether all the information presented here coincides or not with what you know about
the case history. Kind of confuse with this last para.

Seniors please shed some light on it. I am really confuse and irritate as well since my case started in march 2010.

I will appreciate your act of kindness in this regard.

FleetingDasein

Star Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
07-03-2011
File Transfer...
23-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
30-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2011
LANDED..........
19-04-2011
Just got this in the mail:

This letter refers to the application to sponsor a member of the family class you submitted on behalf of [...]. We are pleased to advice have you met the requirement for eligibility as a sponsor.

One step closer! So excited! How long does it take for Buffalo to look at it, and set an interview date?

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
FleetingDasein said:
Just got this in the mail:

This letter refers to the application to sponsor a member of the family class you submitted on behalf of [...]. We are pleased to advice have you met the requirement for eligibility as a sponsor.

One step closer! So excited! How long does it take for Buffalo to look at it, and set an interview date?
Congratulations FleetingDasein!

It's anyone's guess how long it'll be before Buffalo looks at it, unfortunately. I (and others from November) are still waiting; we've heard nothing since the sponsor approval from Mississauga. A couple people have heard from Buffalo from the October thread, but it's still pretty quiet. I'd say you probably have a good month or more before your sponsored family member will hear anything, either in the form of an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR - letter saying they received your application from Mississauga), and or an update on your eCas, saying 'InProcess'.

My advice to you: take some time to celebrate this milestone, and enjoy life the way it is currently. You're halfway done with this process. If you're lucky, there won't be an interview, so all you'll be waiting on is an email/letter asking for a passport (to stamp the visa on), then you and your family member will be together!

FleetingDasein

Star Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
07-03-2011
File Transfer...
23-01-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
30-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19-04-2011
LANDED..........
19-04-2011
Pharoh said:
Congratulations FleetingDasein!

It's anyone's guess how long it'll be before Buffalo looks at it, unfortunately. I (and others from November) are still waiting; we've heard nothing since the sponsor approval from Mississauga. A couple people have heard from Buffalo from the October thread, but it's still pretty quiet. I'd say you probably have a good month or more before your sponsored family member will hear anything, either in the form of an Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR - letter saying they received your application from Mississauga), and or an update on your eCas, saying 'InProcess'.

My advice to you: take some time to celebrate this milestone, and enjoy life the way it is currently. You're halfway done with this process. If you're lucky, there won't be an interview, so all you'll be waiting on is an email/letter asking for a passport (to stamp the visa on), then you and your family member will be together!
That's great advice. Thank you! Hopefully people from October and November will hear back from Buffalo soon enough. There's nothing worse than waiting.