+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Acrra Ghana applicants

J.Kadi

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm so thankful I found this site before sending my application. I'm a Canadian Citizen and sponsoring my husband in Ghana. I'm at the very early stages of preparation and gathering all my documents.

Does any one have experience with sponsoring while unemployed? I recently learned that I can still sponsor although I'm unemployed and accepting employment insurance benefits. I am actively searching for a job though. Would it be best that I secure employment before sending my application?

TeamCMOR

Star Member
Nov 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2016
Doc's Request.
Waived
AOR Received.
05-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA August 11,2016
Med's Request
Passed
Med's Done....
03-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 16, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2017
LANDED..........
April 25 2017
Ugoswife said:
Hi guys. How long does AVO usually give for submission of passport when they issue PPR? Hoping we still hear some good news on the forum tomorrow.
my love is from Ghana and we had 10 days to submit our passport. Nigerians they have 15 days

TeamCMOR

Star Member
Nov 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2016
Doc's Request.
Waived
AOR Received.
05-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA August 11,2016
Med's Request
Passed
Med's Done....
03-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 16, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2017
LANDED..........
April 25 2017
J.Kadi said:
I'm so thankful I found this site before sending my application. I'm a Canadian Citizen and sponsoring my husband in Ghana. I'm at the very early stages of preparation and gathering all my documents.

Does any one have experience with sponsoring while unemployed? I recently learned that I can still sponsor although I'm unemployed and accepting employment insurance benefits. I am actively searching for a job though. Would it be best that I secure employment before sending my application?
Hey Kadi and welcome to the forum. if your married there is no minimum or maximum income required. you just can't sponsor if your a welfare recipient .

becos

Aug 25, 2016
J.Kadi said:

Hi J.Kadi, welcome to the house. :) It is a very helpful community.
TeamCMOR is correct, there is no minimum income required for the spousal application. I am also a Canadian citizen and my husband is from Ghana. When we started putting our application together I was a full time graduate student, working part time as a research assistant and another part time job off campus. By the time we submitted our application however, I was able to find a full time contract, while continuing to be a grad student. I didn't do this with the intention of it looking good on our application, I was just ready to get back to working. Our lawyer however, (who we used for personal preference) encouraged submitting my proof of employment letters. I submitted ones from my job at the university, my part time job and my new full time contract. Secured employment, although not required, does help fill the requirement for proof of intention to stay in/connection to Canada. If you can show an active job search, that would be great, and if you can swing it and are able to have a job when you submit, that definitely helps. I had friends that were Canadian Ghanaian for example and living in the UK and they were required to provide employment proof for the Canadian in Canada as additional documentation request. But in saying that, I had other friends who were living in Ghana and were only required to demonstrate an active job search. So as long as you can show intent to stay in and connection to Canada you should be fine, while you continue to job search.
I took the long way around to explain all of that :) haha. I hope it helps. Good luck to you! And again, welcome!

J.Kadi

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TeamCMOR said:
Hey Kadi and welcome to the forum. if your married there is no minimum or maximum income required. you just can't sponsor if your a welfare recipient .
Thanks for the response TEAMCMOR. I did read about that so I wouldn't have an issue. I was just thinking that perhaps securing a job would be best.

J.Kadi

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
becos said:
TeamCMOR is correct, there is no minimum income required for the spousal application. I am also a Canadian citizen and my husband is from Ghana. When we started putting our application together I was a full time graduate student, working part time as a research assistant and another part time job off campus. By the time we submitted our application however, I was able to find a full time contract, while continuing to be a grad student. I didn't do this with the intention of it looking good on our application, I was just ready to get back to working. Our lawyer however, (who we used for personal preference) encouraged submitting my proof of employment letters. I submitted ones from my job at the university, my part time job and my new full time contract. Secured employment, although not required, does help fill the requirement for proof of intention to stay in/connection to Canada. If you can show an active job search, that would be great, and if you can swing it and are able to have a job when you submit, that definitely helps. I had friends that were Canadian Ghanaian for example and living in the UK and they were required to provide employment proof for the Canadian in Canada as additional documentation request. But in saying that, I had other friends who were living in Ghana and were only required to demonstrate an active job search. So as long as you can show intent to stay in and connection to Canada you should be fine, while you continue to job search.
I took the long way around to explain all of that :) haha. I hope it helps. Good luck to you! And again, welcome!
Hey becos...thanks for the detailed response. That was very helpful!! It does make sense to secure employment to show proof of intention to stay in Canada. I am actively searching and have had interviews including 1 upcoming. I'll probably create a job search document/file along with email communication from employers to show my active job hunt. My application will most likely be ready late April to early May so I'm praying I will have a job by that time...this whole thing is rather stressful but I'm determined to get everything in order. Thanks again for your response.

IuliaMB

Mar 13, 2017
J.Kadi said:
Thanks for the response TEAMCMOR. I did read about that so I wouldn't have an issue. I was just thinking that perhaps securing a job would be best.
When I applied as a sponsor, although i was working, i also sent a statement of my savings account, indicating that those funds could be used to help my husband and i support ourselves for a period of time after he gets here, before he can get a job and so on. If by chance you do have any savings at all, i would advice doing that as well.

As far as i know, if you are not on welfare it should not be a problem anyways.

becos

Aug 25, 2016
J.Kadi said:
Hey becos...thanks for the detailed response. That was very helpful!! It does make sense to secure employment to show proof of intention to stay in Canada. I am actively searching and have had interviews including 1 upcoming. I'll probably create a job search document/file along with email communication from employers to show my active job hunt. My application will most likely be ready late April to early May so I'm praying I will have a job by that time...this whole thing is rather stressful but I'm determined to get everything in order. Thanks again for your response.
No problem! :D we're all happy to help. And as everyone is saying, not having a job is not going to be grounds they can deny you on, having one/searching only just helps. And the savings part might be a good idea for you too. What you could also do for documentation sake is register with an employment agency, that way you can at least track and prove your job search officially. You can take photocopies of your registration papers, job logs and action plans, etc as documentation proof for your application. I'm sure you'll be able to find something before May. :) Did you have a seasonal layoff?

bbccanada

Jul 19, 2012
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
05-01-2017
Doc's Request.
none
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
File Transfer...
20-01-2017 in process Accra 02-02-2017
Med's Request
upfront
Interview........
No interview
Passport Req..
21-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2017
becos said:
No problem! :D we're all happy to help. And as everyone is saying, not having a job is not going to be grounds they can deny you on, having one/searching only just helps. And the savings part might be a good idea for you too. What you could also do for documentation sake is register with an employment agency, that way you can at least track and prove your job search officially. You can take photocopies of your registration papers, job logs and action plans, etc as documentation proof for your application. I'm sure you'll be able to find something before May. :) Did you have a seasonal layoff?

Does anyone knows which month of application the Accra office is working at the moment? Honestly, this process is become hell as you wake up every morning checking Ecas and Mycic account you see no progress. I think this process should not take more than 4 months to process.

becos

Aug 25, 2016
bbccanada said:
Does anyone knows which month of application the Accra office is working at the moment? Honestly, this process is become hell as you wake up every morning checking Ecas and Mycic account you see no progress. I think this process should not take more than 4 months to process.
I hear you. I have seen no progress what so ever since our file transfer in September. We're almost at 7 and a half months of waiting. Our medicals haven't even been recorded as received and they will expire in two months. I believe we have a long while yet to wait. :(

jay9132

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Accra
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/06/2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
11/08/2016
IELTS Request
N/a
File Transfer...
11/08/ 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
27/04/2016
Interview........
weaved
Passport Req..
3/04/ 2017
VISA ISSUED...
10/04/2017
LANDED..........
24/04/2017
I think they still working on previous applications from January and currently on June applications.i think everyone should expert to hear from cic after 9months.either finalizing the application,documents request or interview

becos

Aug 25, 2016
jay9132 said:
I think they still working on previous applications from January and currently on June applications.i think everyone should expert to hear from cic after 9months.either finalizing the application,documents request or interview
I hope so. I sent an insane amount of relationship proof and documentation in general. I'm sure they have more than they need. Other than re medical, I can't think of what else they could possibly need to make their decision. Fingers crossed we hear by 9 months.

jay9132

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Accra
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/06/2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
11/08/2016
IELTS Request
N/a
File Transfer...
11/08/ 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
27/04/2016
Interview........
weaved
Passport Req..
3/04/ 2017
VISA ISSUED...
10/04/2017
LANDED..........
24/04/2017
for sure,you will hear from them.its very stressful but remember nothing good comes easy

TeamCMOR

Star Member
Nov 27, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2016
Doc's Request.
Waived
AOR Received.
05-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA August 11,2016
Med's Request
Passed
Med's Done....
03-05-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 16, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 6, 2017
LANDED..........
April 25 2017
becos said:
I used the old application as we applied in June 2016. If you are working a letter from your employer was required detailing specific information required for immigration, and if you are not working, if my memory serves me correctly you had to write a letter stating why. I don't know if that is any different on the new application. I would encourage you to follow accordingly as stated in the instructions.

J.Kadi

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IuliaMB said:
When I applied as a sponsor, although i was working, i also sent a statement of my savings account, indicating that those funds could be used to help my husband and i support ourselves for a period of time after he gets here, before he can get a job and so on. If by chance you do have any savings at all, i would advice doing that as well.

As far as i know, if you are not on welfare it should not be a problem anyways.
Thanks for the advice. I planned to include a statement of all my saving accounts.