+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thinking to visit Canada on student visa, but havno relatives/ friends in Canada

Jewel - BD

Sep 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I need some help to decide/ understand best options for my brother to study & settle abroad. He is 19 and will be applying from Bangladesh, preferably for a Undergraduate Business degree in a cheap/ affordable university or college. We don’t have any relative or friends in Canada, so have no idea on the quality of study/ cost of study/ actual job market/ lifestyle/ easiness on settlement or getting PR etc. I am currently in the UK and I know it will be a wrong decision to bring him in the UK as after completing study, he will have no option to get a good job or get indefinite leave. Again, when I look back to my experience of adapting in the UK, even though I received help from relative, but it was extremely difficult. Therefore, sending my brother to Canada completely on his own is making me think twice.

I can see two options and need help from you guys to see if these are valid or you can suggest me something better.

Option 1: get a student visa in the UK and after gaining a good understanding of study/ general life abroad, he can transfer credits to a college or university in Canada. Questions are:
• Do you think this is possible?
• How easy is it to transfer credits to a Canadian academic institution?
• How long the visa processing will take from London to Canada?

Option 2: directly go to Canada. Questions are:
• What would be the scenario for him, in terms of selecting a good location where he can meet Bangladeshi people/ other international students etc?
• Also, study & living cost-wise, which area in Canada would be best for him?
• I know he can not work for first 6 months, if I cover his tuition fees, would he be able to maintain his living and other study cost by doing a part time job?
• What type of job are available to international students, specially if English is not their first language and they don’t have much of work experience?

I have not been in touch with any consultants or don’t know any expert who can answer my queries. So, I would appreciate if you could contribute towards my queries and help me to make the correct decision for my brother.

Thanks a lot.
Jewel

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Jewel - BD said:
I need some help to decide/ understand best options for my brother to study & settle abroad. He is 19 and will be applying from Bangladesh, preferably for a Undergraduate Business degree in a cheap/ affordable university or college.
I came to Canada as an Int'l student when I was 20, studied Electrical Engineering at uWindsor (Windsor, Ontario) and now settled as a PR. If you're looking for a cheap college for diploma, things may not turn that good. I would strongly advise you to prefer universities over colleges.

Now, I can't comment on Option 1. But I will talk about Option 2.

Option 2: directly go to Canada. Questions are:
• What would be the scenario for him, in terms of selecting a good location where he can meet Bangladeshi people/ other international students etc?
Almost all universities will have int'l students. Large schools will have more (i.e. uToronto, York, uBC, McGill etc.). If your/your brother's sole focus is on education; you shouldn't look for where you can find lots of Bangladeshi students. He is only 19; he won't have much trouble settling down.

• Also, study & living cost-wise, which area in Canada would be best for him?
Among provinces, Ontario and British Columbia would be little more expensive for studying/living although most schools are located here.

• I know he can not work for first 6 months, if I cover his tuition fees, would he be able to maintain his living and other study cost by doing a part time job?
May be. Mind you, any work during study term will seriously hamper one's study. But he can work in the off term. There are also opportunities for co-op (internship) in these terms. But co-op's are mostly available in universities. FYI, I paid my tuition and living from my co-op salary for 3 years out of 5 during my undergrad.

• What type of job are available to international students, specially if English is not their first language and they don't have much of work experience?
Odd/survival jobs. If you can make connections, you may find some campus jobs.

Some other forum topics that you may find helpful...
What is CO-OP: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t132538.0.html
Bangladeshi Students: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/all-bangladeshi-students-applying-for-fall13-join-here-t139436.0.html
Become PR: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.0.html

Jewel - BD

Sep 18, 2013
Hi Rossei, thank you very much for your reply. feeling positive. i will defo think about option 2. would also appreciate if anyone else can suggest on option 1.

best regards

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jewel - BD said:
Hi Rossei, thank you very much for your reply. feeling positive. i will defo think about option 2. would also appreciate if anyone else can suggest on option 1.

best regards
Option 2 has already been well answered by Rosie. So I will talk about option 1.

For credit transfer, you need to check with the college/uni he will be joining. For example, assuming he is moving to BC, then following link may help you have a better understanding;

http://www.bctransferguide.ca/

Though Transfer of Credits shouldn't be much of an issue, but what I am wondering and you must check, assuming he studies for 1 year in UK and moves to Canada for remaining study say of 1 year. So his actual study in Canada will be of just one year and he will get PGWP according to that period. Hence, do double check once you are clear about credit transfer.