+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The Outland Sponsorship Process

deeds

Mar 3, 2020
My immigration lawyer said that different visa offices have been sending COPR differently due to varying COVID protocols - some of them have simply been sending the COPR digitally, in which case you need to print it yourself to have it when you land in Canada. Other offices have been using courier to send a physical copy of the COPR.

Our visa office in New York sent us physical COPR via courier, and it was not shown on ECAS or on GCKey. They did, however, have the FedEx tracking information available to us. I am not sure what the London office would do though since I do not have personal experience there.

Thank you, makes sense.

OK so i would imagine that its sent tracked here, where did you get your tracking number from, was it sent to you when it was dispatched from them ?

What lawyer did you use ? something you can recommend, i really feel like hiring someone to investigate for me, because our current laywer is not doing much of anything, and ever since final payment was made it was obvious that we were not recieving anything above the bare minimum

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
OK so i would imagine that its sent tracked here, where did you get your tracking number from, was it sent to you when it was dispatched from them ?
Did you send directly to the visa section of the embassy or through the visa application centre?

deeds

Mar 3, 2020
Did you send directly to the visa section of the embassy or through the visa application centre?
We are in Denmark(visa exempt), so we sent it here via DHL express

VPU Processing (LDN)
Immigration Division - High Commission of Canada
Canada House
Trafalgar Square
London, SW1Y 5BJ
United Kingdom

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are in Denmark(visa exempt), so we sent it here via DHL express

VPU Processing (LDN)
Immigration Division - High Commission of Canada
Canada House
Trafalgar Square
London, SW1Y 5BJ
United Kingdom
Okay, unfortunately I've no idea how to get more information. In many countries this is handled through VFS (company) visa application centres - that both receive and send to embassy/high commission and then back to applicant - and while not particularly competent, it is possible to ask them how they return (depends on country).

deeds

Mar 3, 2020
Okay, unfortunately I've no idea how to get more information. In many countries this is handled through VFS (company) visa application centres - that both receive and send to embassy/high commission and then back to applicant - and while not particularly competent, it is possible to ask them how they return (depends on country).
yeah, thanks for your reply though, logically thinking over Xmas and during covid delays are expected obv, but i wish it would just say the landing date is not dependant 100% on the date of the medical, then we could just wait it out no problem.

But i see a lot of horror stories about expired medicals and getting them reapproved.

Ill try and write ldnimmigration in London again- but it states i wont get an answer unless my application is being proccessed there, and its not, only my COPR is', but my application is being proccessed in Canada.

such a mess :(

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But i see a lot of horror stories about expired medicals and getting them reapproved.
All I can say is that they seem to be extending validity of medicals without requiring anew - but I do not know how consistently that is. (Too bad if they are making this decision that they're not just issuing longer-dated COPRs, but bureaucracies work in mysterious ways)

deeds

Mar 3, 2020
All I can say is that they seem to be extending validity of medicals without requiring anew - but I do not know how consistently that is. (Too bad if they are making this decision that they're not just issuing longer-dated COPRs, but bureaucracies work in mysterious ways)
I agree and a simple post to the CIC website would help a lot of people.

Do you know if the people recieving extending validity only happened if they recieved their COPR after their medical expired ?

Mine doesnt expire until April 10th (1 year old that day) - but if i have to land before april 10th i have to give word by friday to where we live, job, daycare and so on. So if we dont give notice and recieve COPR in the beginning of Feb and still have to land before april 10th, it will cost us on the scary side of $10000 in lost payments to apartment, daycare, and so on.

So right now it seems like the tickets we looked at for March 31 is the way to go

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you know if the people recieving extending validity only happened if they recieved their COPR after their medical expired ?
Not sure I understand your question. The cases I'm aware of are only covid related - copr received with short validity and recipients couldn't travel. The more common case (before covid) was people who got medical early and long process (for whatever reason) meant medical had expired by time final decision was to be made.

Mine doesnt expire until April 10th (1 year old that day) - ...

So right now it seems like the tickets we looked at for March 31 is the way to go
Yes, the typical original validity date of COPR is one year from medical date.

deeds

Mar 3, 2020
Not sure I understand your question. The cases I'm aware of are only covid related - copr received with short validity and recipients couldn't travel. The more common case (before covid) was people who got medical early and long process (for whatever reason) meant medical had expired by time final decision was to be made.

Yes, the typical original validity date of COPR is one year from medical date.

Ok that kinda answeres both my questions. Considering i got DM in beginning of Dec 2020, theres little to no chance once i recieve my CORP that my landing date will be auto-extended beyond the 1 year mark.

so, we should just book the tickets and take the chance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok that kinda answeres both my questions. Considering i got DM in beginning of Dec 2020, theres little to no chance once i recieve my CORP that my landing date will be auto-extended beyond the 1 year mark.

so, we should just book the tickets and take the chance
Well, who knows what they'll do, but so far they seem to have taken the approach of copr validity to one year of medical.

Shahida1825

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
I see you already have an answer for how to order the GCMS notes so I won't repeat that. Here is a site about what GCMS notes are: https://www.justforcanada.com/gcms-notes-understand-guide.html

And regarding your husband's police clearance and medicals expiring, do not get new ones until IRCC asks. It will be up to IRCC whether they decide they want new ones and when they want it, but they will definitely communicate with you at the time that it is decided. If you get them too early they might expire again before they ask for it, so don't take that risk.
Okay thank you.

Shahida1825

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
Okay thank you.
I ordered the GCMS yesterday and they
I am sorry to hear that you guys are in such a difficult situation.
If they say it's pending for an interview it sounds pretty clear that they your husband is going to be interviewed... Unfortunately however, I don't think anyone on these forums or in the IRCC can give you an idea of how long it would take for an interview to be scheduled merely due to how unpredictable things are with the pandemic.
Have you ordered your GCMS notes yet? Given that it sounds like they're going to interview, if you get a copy of the notes, you should be able to get an idea of what their concerns are so that you can prepare responses that will satisfy them and approve your application.
Okay thanx for your reply.

Shahida1825

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
I see you already have an answer for how to order the GCMS notes so I won't repeat that. Here is a site about what GCMS notes are: https://www.justforcanada.com/gcms-notes-understand-guide.html

And regarding your husband's police clearance and medicals expiring, do not get new ones until IRCC asks. It will be up to IRCC whether they decide they want new ones and when they want it, but they will definitely communicate with you at the time that it is decided. If you get them too early they might expire again before they ask for it, so don't take that risk.
This is a short explanation of our application for the sponsorship.

Hi. I am a Canadian citizen, but I am originally from Bangladesh. I have applied for my husband who is a Bangladeshi citizen. We got married in January 2018 after the wedding I stayed with my husband for 7 months.
It is my second marriage. I have 2 kids from my previous marriage. Kids are residing with their father in the UK.
My current husband is 10 years younger than me. This is an arranged marriage. One of my uncle introduced both of us. The moment we met we just connected. We both feel like we are just made for each other, even though we have a huge age gap. We both are in so much love with each other. Furthermore, we both have the same interests and goals.
I have applied in September 2019. We have provided enough evidences to prove that our marriage is genuine.
January 2020 I went to Bangladesh to see my husband. In February 2020 we received an email for his medical examination, before medical he was asked to do his biometric which he did. In March 2020 he did his medical examination. I lived with my husband from January 2020 to August 2020.
Since his medical examination we haven't heard or received any emails from CIC about what's happening or any updates on the application. After a long period of waiting last month I emailed Singapore for the updates on the application. I got an email back saying that his file is on pending for to be interviewed. The CIC will schedule a date they will email us 4 weeks before the interview date.
I know our case is not a straight forward case. I would like to know how long will it take for the CIC to schedule an interview date, and what are the questions my husband can face if he gets interviewed? We are really scared. Please help me. Thank you.

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
Thank you, makes sense.

What lawyer did you use ? something you can recommend, i really feel like hiring someone to investigate for me, because our current laywer is not doing much of anything, and ever since final payment was made it was obvious that we were not recieving anything above the bare minimum
Specifically about the tracking number for the courier to/from the New York visa office (which has contracted VFS Global), we obtained the tracking number because the way VFS Global at the New York VO operates is they make you pay them to set up two-way courier labels through FedEx, and then they e-mail you the FedEx two-way labels and tracking once it is set up. Not sure how they operate in London though.

To be fair about your current lawyer not doing much, there is unfortunately not a lot that can be done about cases.
Webmail inquiries can be sent, which my immigration lawyer said currently the response delays have been 30 days when it used to be about a week.
You can also call the IRCC, but hold times have historically been literally hours, and it's doubtful that it's any better right now.
The spouse/partner who is doing the sponsoring can also contact their MP (Member of Parliament) if they are residing within Canada and ask the MP to follow up on the case. The MP basically just calls the IRCC (at least that's what mine in Calgary did) to ask about the case, but they basically get the same answers that you would get from calling the IRCC. My MP was kind enough to call IRCC about our case every 3 months without us asking repeatedly, and they did that until my husband landed in Canada, though I'm not sure if all MPs do that much follow-up.
The most informative thing you can do is get GCMS notes so you can have the most precise picture of what is going on (though the notes often still leave questions unanswered), but that hasn't been proven to speed up case processing.

I can PM you the lawyer I used if you are still interested, but if you are at the stage of waiting on COPR, you are so far along in the application process that it is probably not worth it to pay for the new lawyer fees when you are basically at the last leg of the journey.

In any case, all the best and hope that you are able to have a happy end to the immigration process soon!

Reactions: armoured

StellaArtois

Aug 4, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-05-2019
AOR Received.
13-07-2019
File Transfer...
08-08-2019
Med's Request
16-07-2019
Med's Done....
23-07-2019
Passport Req..
26-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2020
LANDED..........
06-12-2020
This is a short explanation of our application for the sponsorship.

Hi. I am a Canadian citizen, but I am originally from Bangladesh. I have applied for my husband who is a Bangladeshi citizen. We got married in January 2018 after the wedding I stayed with my husband for 7 months.
It is my second marriage. I have 2 kids from my previous marriage. Kids are residing with their father in the UK.
My current husband is 10 years younger than me. This is an arranged marriage. One of my uncle introduced both of us. The moment we met we just connected. We both feel like we are just made for each other, even though we have a huge age gap. We both are in so much love with each other. Furthermore, we both have the same interests and goals.
I have applied in September 2019. We have provided enough evidences to prove that our marriage is genuine.
January 2020 I went to Bangladesh to see my husband. In February 2020 we received an email for his medical examination, before medical he was asked to do his biometric which he did. In March 2020 he did his medical examination. I lived with my husband from January 2020 to August 2020.
Since his medical examination we haven't heard or received any emails from CIC about what's happening or any updates on the application. After a long period of waiting last month I emailed Singapore for the updates on the application. I got an email back saying that his file is on pending for to be interviewed. The CIC will schedule a date they will email us 4 weeks before the interview date.
I know our case is not a straight forward case. I would like to know how long will it take for the CIC to schedule an interview date, and what are the questions my husband can face if he gets interviewed? We are really scared. Please help me. Thank you.
Given the details you have provided for your case, sounds like there could be a lot of reasons that IRCC requested an interview. I saw you said that you ordered your GCMS notes, so wait for those to arrive. Once they do, you will have to really read through it ,and you should be able to find a comment from one of the officers on the case stating exactly why they have decided to request an interview for your case. Take careful note of it and gather as much evidence as possible to address their comments.

Unfortunately no matter how much detail you tell us about your case, there is still no one in the entire world who can predict the delays due to the nature of the pandemic. They have put thousands of couples into a similar situation to what you are going through - all stuck in a limbo without the faintest idea of a timeline for when the process will be completed. It is terrible that this is happening and I am sorry that you guys have to go through this, but unfortunately no one has any idea of the future at this point.

Last edited: