+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thailand advice

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am new to this site and would like to get as much advice and guidance as possible.

I have fallen for a woman who currently lives in Thailand. I plan on going to Thailand in the fall after we establish more of a understanding of one another and hopefully marry her.

My questions are:

Does it matter how long I knew someone when it comes down to applying for PR in Canada?
What is the average from start to finish from someone from Thailand to get here?
Anything I should be aware of?
Do many people get denied?

I am a Canadian born man with a good stable job, own my own house, with no criminal record or health problems.

I just hear that the Singapore part takes long.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey there,

does it matter? yes and no. You have to be able to prove to CIC that you are in a genuine relationship. So if you have been talking on the internet for 2 months, then you go to Thailand, marry her the first week and go back to Canada, it will be hard to prove.
On the other hand, if you have been talking over the internet for a while, you go and live there, take the time to see if it's the right fit, meet her family, spend time with her, then decide to marry her, have a traditional wedding (with her family, and possibly yours and friends), stay a little in Thailand and THEN file for PR, then - you have a better chance. Make sure that you keep all the proofs of communication, gifts, money support, travels, etc that you can. Pictures, receipts, phone bills, Skype log, chat logs etc.

As you are Canadian ( and not a PR) you can choose to stay in Thailand while the PR process is being done. It will also increase your chances of getting accepted, because it shows that your marriage is genuine. I understand that it might be difficult for your job to stay away, but the longer you spend with her, the more chances your application will be accepted. You don't have to reside in Canada to apply for her PR, so if you can - stay in Thailand.

Her file will be going through 2 stages : stage 1 is about you, the sponsor, and is currently listed as 29 days - pretty easy. The times go up and down, but hopefully will stay like this. Then her file will go to Singapore, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp which according to the website is 26 months. It's long indeed. However, that's the time it takes to go through 80% of the applications, so if you have a well prepared, well documented, complete application, and a straight forward case (first sponsorship for you, no kids to sponsor from her side, etc), then you most likely will be done before that. But it's a long wait nonetheless (that's also why going to Thailand will be easier, if you can).
Good luck,
Sweden

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I know a man who did this who completed the process in about a year, with him in Canada and his wife in Thailand -- but it wasn't easy, and he spent a lot of money.

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Sweden and On-Hold.

I have been talking to her for a few months now. I was pretty much asking for advice on the whole system. You were a lot of help! Thanks!

I have been keeping every document from Skype, email, and phone. Read that earlier today and decided to copy and paste to Micro Word.

Also, I don't plan on jumping in too soon. I really need to get to know her first because I realize it is not a game. There is big responsibilities. I talked with her about 10 minutes ago and we agreed that I should come there for a visit soon. I plan to see her in the next few months and maybe another visit later in the year.

Unfortunately, I only have four and a bit weeks of holidays a year and living there is not much of an option. I figure if things go well over the next year, I can pop the question. Then next year I can stay there for a month and get married to her.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row in case this turns out to be the one. She really has stolen my heart and we talk every day on Skype or by email. I am 40, never married, no kids. She is 34, never married, no kids.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

mythailove

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
It seems like you have a good plan, and a very reasonable "pace" to your relationship. The fact that you are both not married, no kids, and similar ages, and that you are both willing to take it "very slow" will play in your favor if you decide later on to apply for PR. What CIC wants to see is that the relationship is genuine, and that the applicant is not trying to scam the Canadian to gain access to the country. Getting to know her will "protect" you for sure, but also will make it easier in the long term.

As you are already aware of what is necessary to apply later on, you can start collecting proofs etc, and once it comes time for you to apply, it will be easy enough to gather everything. Get familiar with the forms, and see what type of proofs CIC is looking for (there is a list in the guideline), and see what you have. Of course - don't make anything extra (staged pictures etc!) just for CIC, but let the relationship develop, and keep in mind what you will need to prove in the future, and it should go well.

Wish you the best of luck - with the relationship first of all, and the PR later on!
Sweden

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well, for what it's worth, these relationships are easy to start but sometimes hard to maintain. I am an anthropologist who has lived in Thailand for many years, starting when I was 18 -- if you want, you can ask me questions about the number of important decisions that you're going to be making, including the dowry and other cultural issues. Which province does your fiance live in and what does her family do?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mythailove said:
Does it matter how long I knew someone when it comes down to applying for PR in Canada?
As others have answered, yes it does. The longer you have a genuine relationship before getting married and the more times you meet in person... the better chance the application will be approved. Sounds like you have a good plan though and aren't rushing things. This is good from PR perspective, as well as for the relationship in general!

What is the average from start to finish from someone from Thailand to get here?
Unfortunately if you apply outland (your partner would remain in Thailand during process), she is stuck using the Singapore office which is one of the worst out there. The worst-case time to complete 80% of applications is currently at 26 months. Just a few months ago this was at 24 months, so they seem to be getting worse and not better.

If you want more of an "average" time, you should check out the thread on this site of people using Singapore visa office, and you can get a sense of the actual times people are seeing. I'm sure the majority get much less than 26 months. Many are completed in less than a year.

When the time comes to sponsor, if your wife can show a strong tie to Thailand she should apply for a visitor visa to come to Canada, where you can do an in-land application. Seems to be quicker than using Singapore office. The only main negative here is during processing she will not be able to return to Thailand for any reason whatsoever.

Do many people get denied?
Based on last year's stats, the approval of Singapore office for spouse/partner was 73% (1,157 people passed, 418 refused). Although Singapore is responsible for around a dozen countries, so no telling if certain countries make up a higher portion of those rejected.

I believe in-land approval rates are much higher than this, but not sure the actual stats here.

Rusty53

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mythailove said:
Thanks Sweden and On-Hold.

I have been talking to her for a few months now. I was pretty much asking for advice on the whole system. You were a lot of help! Thanks!

I have been keeping every document from Skype, email, and phone. Read that earlier today and decided to copy and paste to Micro Word.

Also, I don't plan on jumping in too soon. I really need to get to know her first because I realize it is not a game. There is big responsibilities. I talked with her about 10 minutes ago and we agreed that I should come there for a visit soon. I plan to see her in the next few months and maybe another visit later in the year.

Unfortunately, I only have four and a bit weeks of holidays a year and living there is not much of an option. I figure if things go well over the next year, I can pop the question. Then next year I can stay there for a month and get married to her.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row in case this turns out to be the one. She really has stolen my heart and we talk every day on Skype or by email. I am 40, never married, no kids. She is 34, never married, no kids.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

mythailove
mythailove, I think I can help you. My wife is Thai and we are part way through. Our stories are similar. I would like to talk to you off line. In order for you to send me a personal message you need to reach 10 posts. Ask me a few more questions till you get to 10 posts and then we can talk off line. Sawadee!

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Well, for what it's worth, these relationships are easy to start but sometimes hard to maintain. I am an anthropologist who has lived in Thailand for many years, starting when I was 18 -- if you want, you can ask me questions about the number of important decisions that you're going to be making, including the dowry and other cultural issues. Which province does your fiance live in and what does her family do?
She lives in Bangkok. Her parents are both deceased, but she has a sister who is older.

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rusty53 said:
mythailove, I think I can help you. My wife is Thai and we are part way through. Our stories are similar. I would like to talk to you off line. In order for you to send me a personal message you need to reach 10 posts. Ask me a few more questions till you get to 10 posts and then we can talk off line. Sawadee!
How long have you known your wife before you asked for her hand in marriage?

mythailove

Mar 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Unfortunately if you apply outland (your partner would remain in Thailand during process), she is stuck using the Singapore office which is one of the worst out there. The worst-case time to complete 80% of applications is currently at 26 months. Just a few months ago this was at 24 months, so they seem to be getting worse and not better.

If you want more of an "average" time, you should check out the thread on this site of people using Singapore visa office, and you can get a sense of the actual times people are seeing. I'm sure the majority get much less than 26 months. Many are completed in less than a year.

When the time comes to sponsor, if your wife can show a strong tie to Thailand she should apply for a visitor visa to come to Canada, where you can do an in-land application. Seems to be quicker than using Singapore office. The only main negative here is during processing she will not be able to return to Thailand for any reason whatsoever.

Based on last year's stats, the approval of Singapore office for spouse/partner was 73% (1,157 people passed, 418 refused). Although Singapore is responsible for around a dozen countries, so no telling if certain countries make up a higher portion of those rejected.

I believe in-land approval rates are much higher than this, but not sure the actual stats here.
Is it at all possible for me to just use the office here in Canada? Or is it a must that she has to use the Singapore office due to the fact she lives in Thailand now? I live in Canada permanently.

Rusty53

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mythailove said:
How long have you known your wife before you asked for her hand in marriage?
I met my wife in January 2010 and we were married in Canada in July 2012. She is originally from Issan but was living in Samui when I met her.

Rusty53

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
mythailove said:
Is it at all possible for me to just use the office here in Canada? Or is it a must that she has to use the Singapore office due to the fact she lives in Thailand now? I live in Canada permanently.
If you wish to apply inland then the applicant must be in Canada.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mythailove said:
the tricky part is to get your wife/future wife to Canada. She would have to apply for a tourist visa, and there is a good chance she will be refused, because CIC doesn't believe that she will leave the country at the end of the visa - and for good reasons.
BUT - if she has very good ties ( a job, a property, obligations etc) you can always try to get her a visa. But you have to know that a lot of spouses of Canadians are denied... If she does get to Canada, then you can file an "inland" application - it takes currently about 14 months, but she would be allowed to stay in Canada with you, even past the expiry date of her tourist visa (you file the application before the visa expires, and she will get implied status). She would have to include an open work permit application, and after stage 1 (6 months currently for inland) she would be able to work, until she gets her PR ( stage 2 is currently 8 months). The main advantage is that you could be together.
One thing though - if you do inland application, she is not supposed to leave the country at all ( not for holidays, or family emergency etc).
Good luck,
Sweden

Rusty53

Jul 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Sweden said:
the tricky part is to get your wife/future wife to Canada. She would have to apply for a tourist visa, and there is a good chance she will be refused, because CIC doesn't believe that she will leave the country at the end of the visa - and for good reasons.
BUT - if she has very good ties ( a job, a property, obligations etc) you can always try to get her a visa. But you have to know that a lot of spouses of Canadians are denied... If she does get to Canada, then you can file an "inland" application - it takes currently about 14 months, but she would be allowed to stay in Canada with you, even past the expiry date of her tourist visa (you file the application before the visa expires, and she will get implied status). She would have to include an open work permit application, and after stage 1 (6 months currently for inland) she would be able to work, until she gets her PR ( stage 2 is currently 8 months). The main advantage is that you could be together.
One thing though - if you do inland application, she is not supposed to leave the country at all ( not for holidays, or family emergency etc).
Good luck,
Sweden
It is possible to get a visitor visa for your girlfriend, we did it 2 times. The biggest thing the visa office in Bangkok looks for when they ask for ties to Thailand is if she owns land.