+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary resident visa for 10 days holiday turned down, but why?

RV

Apr 5, 2008
Hi,

My wife and me both live and work in the UK. Her nationality is Serbian, mine is Dutch. She is on a temporary resident permit until 2011 (you get permits for max 5 years in the first instance in the UK and she got it in 2006). Her brother (with wife and son) is living in Canada since last Autumn and she planned to visit her brother for 10 days in May, just for a short holiday.

Her visa application ("temporary resident visa", something like a "tourist visa" option does not seem to exist) was turned down as the officials at the Canadian High Commission in London were not convinced she would go back to London after her holiday. At least, that's what the rejection letter said, though she never got an interview at the HC. She was told to wait for an interview by a visa officer at the first instance and after waiting for hours simply got a rejection letter without further explanations, and without this interview she was promised and which seems a logical thing if the officials are in doubt about her application. According to the rejection letter it seems the visa officer was also not convinced of her purpose of visit.

All these reasons for rejections look outragous to me. She would surely go back to the UK as she lives here (with me, we are married!) and as she has a job here (and so do I!). The purpose of her visit was simple; 10 days of holiday to see her brother and his family. I can't really see why they would turn such an application down, nor do I understand the behaviour of the people at the HC as she was left waiting, did not get a chance to explain anything in an interview, and had all the correct supporting documents with her (letter of employer, marriage certificate, etc). Needless to say we also lost the 35GBP application fee...

Does anyone have any advice what to do next? Apply again? Appeal? Give up?

Many thanks,

RV

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You can't appeal a TRV denial. But you can re-apply.

Your wife needs to qualify to visit Canada on her own - your marriage certificate won't help.

The other problems with your wife's application are
* that she is not living in her home country (Serbia), and therefore appears capable of a further move to Canada
* that you provided no evidence of ownership of property/business/family that she would need to return to in Holland/Serbia
* that she has family in Canada - which raises suspicions that she intends to go there to stay

TG

RV

Apr 5, 2008
That's clear, many thanks for your response and help. Should she apply with exactly the same documents, I assume she will get another rejection. Does anyone have a suggestion what to do differently? We are now thinking of adding letters from her employer and myself saying we'll guarantee for her coming back to London after the holiday (the previous letter of her employer 'only' stated she is employed there). Is that a good idea? Any other ideas? Thanks again.

rocket

Apr 18, 2008
Canada is very very strict. If you can provide additional documents it is better for you.
If your wife's relatives in Canada have legal status, I would suggest they go talk to their
member of parliament to help them.

G

girly1141

im was planing to apply for tourist visa but after what i have been reading here im frustrated