+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary resident - Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip

Backspace42

Aug 9, 2024
Hey!
I want to apply for the visa under the "Measures for Israeli nationals, Palestinian passport holders and family members in Canada" act
I'm a tourist in Canada and wondering about the meaning of "Temporary resident" - (A foreign national who is in Canada legally for a short period. Temporary residents include students, foreign workers and visitors, such as tourists.). Do I need to stay within Canada for the whole length of time until approval? Can I apply and leave for a while until I get it back? or spend the majority of the time within Canada? I have friends/family outside of Israel or Canada

thanks!

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hey!
I want to apply for the visa under the "Measures for Israeli nationals, Palestinian passport holders and family members in Canada" act
I'm a tourist in Canada and wondering about the meaning of "Temporary resident" - (A foreign national who is in Canada legally for a short period. Temporary residents include students, foreign workers and visitors, such as tourists.). Do I need to stay within Canada for the whole length of time until approval? Can I apply and leave for a while until I get it back? or spend the majority of the time within Canada? I have friends/family outside of Israel or Canada

thanks!
When did you arrive in Canada and what passport you have? If you leave, you might not qualify.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/israel-west-bank-gaza-2023/canada-tr-measures.html

Backspace42

Aug 9, 2024
not long ago, but I have not been in Israel since the war started, and have an Israeli passport.

it says:
  • be in Canada with valid temporary resident status when
    • you apply
    • a decision is made on your application
So it looks like I need to be there when applying and back before approval, if I'm not there probably miss the opportunity,
the real question would be, how long does it take haha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey!

thanks!
This is nuts. Why does Canada keep implementing these policies when they were abused with the Iran and Turkey programs.

Backspace42

Aug 9, 2024
This is nuts. Why does Canada keep implementing these policies when they were abused with the Iran and Turkey programs.
Well I'm not so sure, the target for amount of immigrants is crazy high, I don't think it's really good for the country in the long run, at least I'll bring something to the table as an engineer, but most refugees and so are economically negative for most of their lifes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well I'm not so sure, the target for amount of immigrants is crazy high, I don't think it's really good for the country in the long run, at least I'll bring something to the table as an engineer, but most refugees and so are economically negative for most of their lifes
Canada has a surplus of most types of engineers. The issue with these specific programs they have been exploited by anyone who wants a work permit not the actual people in danger or affected by a crisis.

Backspace42

Aug 9, 2024
One would imagine that these policies would restrict visitor visa holders, but nope, they are as dumb as they could be.
Well I'm fairly lucky to have the funds to travel, while where my original home is a closes war zone atm...
But you know, money runs out, so I do understand why it is a possibility, should there be more screening, yeah probably.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
I think the overall idea behind the policy is good but as always, the govt doesn't implement enough checks and balances to maintain the integrity of the program.

Reactions: canuck78

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I think the overall idea behind the policy is good but as always, the govt doesn't implement enough checks and balances to maintain the integrity of the program.
“the govt doesn't implement enough checks and balances to maintain the integrity of the program.”

……that ship sailed long long time ago

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well I'm fairly lucky to have the funds to travel, while where my original home is a closes war zone atm...
But you know, money runs out, so I do understand why it is a possibility, should there be more screening, yeah probably.
There are likely more job opportunities in Israel given the amount of people having been called up to fight than in Canada. Given the amount of conflict in the world and the ability for Israel to resettle people within the country not sure how we can justify creating immigration programs for any conflict or natural disaster. Canada can’t absorb this many people especially given our economy struggling, lack of housing, insufficient infrastructure, etc.

Backspace42

Aug 9, 2024
There are likely more job opportunities in Israel given the amount of people having been called up to fight than in Canada. Given the amount of conflict in the world and the ability for Israel to resettle people within the country not sure how we can justify creating immigration programs for any conflict or natural disaster. Canada can’t absorb this many people especially given our economy struggling, lack of housing, insufficient infrastructure, etc.
For sure... Though I don't feel safe there... Don't want to come back you know... I think the problems in Canada are much easier to fix than the ones in Israel
Generally I agree with you, doesn't mean I won't use it for my benefits, I think we can change the government to change the policy, at least I hope.