+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temp Visitor Visa - opinions/votes welcomed

fjto

Oct 23, 2008
Hi folks,

Here's the situation:

me:
1.40 yrs old, born Canadian, lived in Toronto my entire life
2.Finance executive, professional designation, 10 years+ stable employment, v.good salary
3.Never married, no kids, no dependents, parents deceased
4.Never applied/sponsored anyone before
5.Heavily involved in the arts (ie I'm not just some numbers geek)

Applicant:
1.Russian lady, 25, born and lived in St.Petersburg (large city) her entire life
2.works 2 jobs, has letters from employers she's asked for a 2 week vacation
3.never married, no kids, but close ties to extended family in St.Pete's area.

I met her in Russia (while travelling on business), would like to sponsor her Temp Visitor visa application for a 2-week vacation to Canada.

I'm well aware of the many abuses in the system, and I'm entirely confident that she'll return to home at the end of her vacation. At the same time (obviously) I've got a "personal" interest in her, but she is not my fiancee and I entirely trust that she will return home. (and I am not a naive man :)

My question for you based upon your experiences/knowledge:

Is this:
A)a slam dunk denial?
B)a likely approval?
C)no way to know?

VOTE NOW!!!
thx :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think denial more likely than not but hey, be optimistic and give it a go.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Like they say on the website...you might be confident she will return but you have to convince them.

Three main things they look for:
1. Danger to Canada, health or criminality.
2. Can support herself while here.
3. Will return.

First two are easy to prove. Third one is the tricky one. And unfortunately because of historical patterns the burden of proof might be very high indeed for your situation. I know because my situation was almost the same as yours and we were refused for a temp visa a a year ago.

Things that might help prove she will return:
-property back home
-previous travel to any other countries where she returned
-financial or other obligations that she has to return for

Or go here and read the section starting on page 11...Assessing the application and look at the areas of concern and things to consider.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11e.pdf

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
fjto,
Also... mentioning that you are her boyfriend is not a good idea. If immigration gets any wind of you and her being an item, say goodbye to her chances of a TRV. You may as well plan to marry if that is something in your plan!

Also, if immigration finds out that she has lied on a form, she will be blacklisted in the system and that will make it impossible for her to ever come to Canada. Sorry to be blunt!

Good luck!

canthai

fjto

Oct 23, 2008
Hmmm...ok...not the answers I wanted, but thanks everyone for your input. My main goal in posting was to manage expectations.

ps. Wolverine, as it happens my friend is also from St.Pete's, so at some point in the future I might put her in touch with you via pm.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Yeah I know...I was trying to help you manage your expectations as well. Try very hard, and make sure the paperwork is correct, and then hope. But look at it like a lottery, not a sure thing. You have a small chance to win.

We are further along in our relationship than you two...and are married, and in the middle of the immigration paperwork process, and are trying for a temp visa for her to come for Christmas. I am also planning the backup trip at the same time...me going there for their Christmas. If she doesn't get the visa I just go right after anyway is the plan to manage our disappointment if she is denied. We'll just have to see. :)

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Last year my girlfriend at the time was denied a temp visa in August.

Last night my wife got news she was approved for a temp visa for Christmas now. This is after my sponsorship was approved last month and her permanent residence application is in Moscow now.

Difference between last application and this time was I really tried to address all their concerns from the operational manual I linked earlier. Seems it was sucessful!