May 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-05-2017
Hi DianaB,

I'm bilingual and have native fluency in English and French with a dual Masters (Modern Languages, English and French literature). I gave the TEF and managed 8 additional points even with a C1 on two of the components. All I can say is, TEF is designed such that one just CAN'T get a score good enough to get all 24 points. It is incredibly challenging and there's negative marking. Also, there isn't much helpful materiel available. It's crazy expensive. I gave it since there was no other way to prove my proficiency and all of my work experience has been bilingual and I waned to substantiate my capabilities. If you do end up deciding to take it, I could share some materiel that I came in handy during my prep. Good luck! x
Please share the prep material. varunmuriyanat@gmail.com

Thanks a ton!!!

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,
I took the TEF last December and will share some of my experience.

I had studied French when I was at the university. I had a good level back then, I even spent some months in France studying. But after that 15 years passed seeing close to no French at all.

First thing I did was to hire a private teacher. I took 25 - 30 1,5h classes before the exam. They were crucial because my speaking and writing were terrible, though I manage to revive listening and reading quite easily. Then I bought from fnac.fr the CD TEF, test d'évaluation du français by Sylvie Pons and Gaëlle Karcher and the book TEF test d'évaluation de français CCIP

I found both materials useful. I liked the book better.

There are no more penalties for wrong answers (beware that the cd correction has not been updated to that).

I found reading and listening to be easy. For me the most difficult part in listening was when you have 2 similar sentences with similar sounding wordings and you have to hear well what was said.

Writing and Speaking always follow the same format. Those were the skills which I had more difficulty, since I had trained too little. Speaking is role playing: one task is to call someone about an ad and obtain more information (and keep the conversation going for 5 min). The second is to convince a friend of something (10 min). The second part was harder, it is a long time to find arguments and the interviewer dismissed quite quickly everything I said. For example, in my case there was ad for volunteer work in a animal shelter. My job was to explain the ad to my "friend" (interviewer) and to convince him of participating. Interviewer were harsh saying "I am allergic", "I don't like animals", "if it is so interesting, why don't you do it".

Speaking was my worst grade, but I still managed to secure 16 additional points for my French.

Reactions: varunvarghese

varunvarghese

May 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-05-2017
Guys,
I took the TEF last December and will share some of my experience.

I had studied French when I was at the university. I had a good level back then, I even spent some months in France studying. But after that 15 years passed seeing close to no French at all.

First thing I did was to hire a private teacher. I took 25 - 30 1,5h classes before the exam. They were crucial because my speaking and writing were terrible, though I manage to revive listening and reading quite easily. Then I bought from fnac.fr the CD TEF, test d'évaluation du français by Sylvie Pons and Gaëlle Karcher and the book TEF test d'évaluation de français CCIP

I found both materials useful. I liked the book better.

There are no more penalties for wrong answers (beware that the cd correction has not been updated to that).

I found reading and listening to be easy. For me the most difficult part in listening was when you have 2 similar sentences with similar sounding wordings and you have to hear well what was said.

Writing and Speaking always follow the same format. Those were the skills which I had more difficulty, since I had trained too little. Speaking is role playing: one task is to call someone about an ad and obtain more information (and keep the conversation going for 5 min). The second is to convince a friend of something (10 min). The second part was harder, it is a long time to find arguments and the interviewer dismissed quite quickly everything I said. For example, in my case there was ad for volunteer work in a animal shelter. My job was to explain the ad to my "friend" (interviewer) and to convince him of participating. Interviewer were harsh saying "I am allergic", "I don't like animals", "if it is so interesting, why don't you do it".

Speaking was my worst grade, but I still managed to secure 16 additional points for my French.
I am not able to access the links to checkout the book. It says access denied.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not able to access the links to checkout the book. It says access denied.
Sorry, it was noted meant to be a link! :oops: I copied the book names from the order email from fnac.

Check fnac.fr. They deliver internationally. I remember that back then I couldn't find similar materials on amazon.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used both the first one and third one in that link, I found both quite useful.
Same here.

For the blue covered book you can download the mp3 files for the listening on their website. I must say it was quite tricky to find it!

baxa1981

May 29, 2012
They told me that too but the weird thing is that I got 245 on reading. No combination I did leads to this score. I'm wondering how 245 is even achievable.
Is it possible that they multiply by some amount? Maximum is 300 for Reading for example, 50 questions. Grading on the manual says each question is +1 for correct, 0 for anything else including the wrong answer. So, on average each correct answer is multiplied by 6. But I think they multiply based on the level; lower levels x3, higher levels x4, x5 etc. But they don't tell that algorithm to anyone.

gaiou37

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Victoria, BC
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys

My score is 413 right now and I really want to improve my chances...
I am bilingual and I am thinking of taking the French TEF test to boost my score.
Since the test is $400, I was wondering how many extra points did any of you get for including the TEF in your application?

Thanks a lot, and good luck to you!
D.
I took TEF for the same reasons and got 22 extra points. Totally worth it in my case, although I would have gotten ITA eventually since the scores being invited are much lower now.

Edit: Just to clarify, I am a native French speaker and found the test very easy (I did not study for it at all, beside watching TV in French for a week before the test since I hadn't spoken French on a regular basis for the last 10 years).