+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching Spouse Sponsorship from Outside to Inside Canada Application

alan6009

Sep 14, 2024
I have applied for spouse sponsorship under the outside Canada category, and my wife has a visitor visa. If she enters Canada on a visitor status, can I switch the sponsorship application to the inside Canada category, or should I keep it under the outside Canada category?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have applied for spouse sponsorship under the outside Canada category, and my wife has a visitor visa. If she enters Canada on a visitor status, can I switch the sponsorship application to the inside Canada category, or should I keep it under the outside Canada category?
No, you cannot change them, but there is no meaningful difference for her (for the most part).

-When she arrives in Canada, she should advise them of change of address.
-Once the AOR is received, she can apply for spousal work permit, although that might take several months.
-When PR is approved, she can do virtual landing (i.e. without leaving Canada).

Reactions: Amiah_world

alan6009

Sep 14, 2024
Thank you for the response. She has already received the Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR), and her biometrics and medical exam have been approved. Should we wait for the PR confirmation, or is it fine for her to come as a visitor in the meantime?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the response. She has already received the Acknowledgment of Receipt (AOR), and her biometrics and medical exam have been approved. Should we wait for the PR confirmation, or is it fine for her to come as a visitor in the meantime?
It's fine to come as visitor, personal choice primarily.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Since she has TRV, she can come as visitor and then apply for OWP after she arrives in Canada.

She will either get PR or gets her virtual landing as PR while she's waiting in Canada.
The OWP application will give her implied/maintenance status (as visitor).

Check your provinencal health requirement and some province will not cover healthcare until later in the PR application stage. If that's the case, it's better to get private traveler health insurance just in case of any emergency.

Prabh001

Jul 23, 2021
Hi I got same question ? but in different nature ..

Can we switch Inland application to outland application and come to Canada when granted PR ?