+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting document to prove residency obligation for PR renewal

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
Hello, I’m currently trying to renew my PR, and came across appendix A, where it requires proof of residency in Canada for the last 5 years.

I’m planning on submitting tax return as one, and as for the other, I’m not sure what I can use, as most bank statements/bills are only available up to 18 months - an amount far less than 5 years that’s being asked.

what can I do here?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello, I’m currently trying to renew my PR, and came across appendix A, where it requires proof of residency in Canada for the last 5 years.

I’m planning on submitting tax return as one, and as for the other, I’m not sure what I can use, as most bank statements/bills are only available up to 18 months - an amount far less than 5 years that’s being asked.

what can I do here?
They want proof you meet the RO, which is 730 days in the last 5 years. Pay stubs, proof collecting EI, welfare, other gov't benefits, cell phone receipts, house rental receipts. You probably saw this on the Appendix form:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I personally feel that a bank statement that shows actual activity in/around where you live is great evidence; one that has atm activity, or a local merchant, rather than a gym membership (no proof that you even visited the gym).

Reactions: Canada2020eh

alexru

Jan 7, 2020
They want proof you meet the RO, which is 730 days in the last 5 years. Pay stubs, proof collecting EI, welfare, other gov't benefits, cell phone receipts, house rental receipts. You probably saw this on the Appendix form:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
I understood that part, my question is more that do they require the documents/statements for all 5 years? For example, bank statement going from November 2018 all the way to now.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I understood that part, my question is more that do they require the documents/statements for all 5 years? For example, bank statement going from November 2018 all the way to now.
No, only proof of 730 days, 2 years in Canada in the last 5. For example if you were here for 1 yr after getting PR, provide that proof. If you left and came back then provide proof of that time being in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No, only proof of 730 days, 2 years in Canada in the last 5. For example if you were here for 1 yr after getting PR, provide that proof. If you left and came back then provide proof of that time being in Canada.
This has been covered here many times: they now seem to request two pieces of EVIDENCE - not 'proof' in a stricter sense - that the applicant is/has been resident in Canada. You don't have to 'prove' the sum total of 730 days, just that you were in/residing in Canada some of that time. Let them request more if they want.

[Of course, better evidence is better evidence - eg if you show tax returns and some pay stubs and they all clearly indicate you worked at the same compnay for a couple years straight - that's better than proving you bought a newspaper once. Long-term rental agreements better even if they don't strictly prove you were there every day of your lease. Etc.]

So show 'whatever' - remember, until recntly they didn't ask for this at all. You're providing them some supporting evidence and letting them come back for more 'proof' if they need it.

And yes, the wording is ambiguous.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They really want proof that you have been in Canada so things like bank statements are good if you use your debit card regularly because it will show regular transaction and specify they were done in Canada.

KumarRajesh

Apr 23, 2024
Hello - I want to apply for my little one's PR renewal and citizenship but I am struggling to arrange the 2 evidences for proof of residency. As he has recently (~8 months) started his Kindergarten, we dont have his school records to prove his residency for even 2 years (eve after considering his day care attendance) for the PR renewal (requirement is 3 year for citizenship). I am planning to attach my bank statement for receipt of child care benefits as one evidence. Could you please suggest what other type of proof may be acceptable for the minor? Thanks,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello - I want to apply for my little one's PR renewal and citizenship but I am struggling to arrange the 2 evidences for proof of residency. As he has recently (~8 months) started his Kindergarten, we dont have his school records to prove his residency for even 2 years (eve after considering his day care attendance) for the PR renewal (requirement is 3 year for citizenship). I am planning to attach my bank statement for receipt of child care benefits as one evidence. Could you please suggest what other type of proof may be acceptable for the minor? Thanks,
Replied in your other thread. you don't need to prove two years, just some evidence the kid was in Canada at all. The travel record/day count is the primary doc.

I'm referring to PR, citizenship may be different.

Priya1215

Nov 26, 2018
Hi, I got digital photo from shoppers recently for pr card renewal application online and I have question regarding the receipt. The IRCC website mentions that the backside of photo needs to contain the name and date of birth along with other information, but the receipt doesn't have that. I called the store to check if they can reprint but they say they don't do that on receipt. Does anybody know what should be done?