+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting document to prove residency obligation for PR renewal

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can provide more than two pieces of evidence if you so choose.
I agree.

BUT: I'd avoid overdoing it. They're bureaucrats, they have to look at all the evidence you submit.

The trick is, they don't have to do it right away. And if your file is 1,000 pages when it could/should be a dozen, well, your file is not going to get looked at until they have a good solid block of hours to look at your file.

Which is never right away. Keep your evidence brief and clear. A SHORT letter of explanation is better than an extra 100 pages of evidence.

(To borrow from the New Yorker cartoon, "how about never? Does never work for you?")

riisingsun

Sep 6, 2024
I agree.

BUT: I'd avoid overdoing it. They're bureaucrats, they have to look at all the evidence you submit.

The trick is, they don't have to do it right away. And if your file is 1,000 pages when it could/should be a dozen, well, your file is not going to get looked at until they have a good solid block of hours to look at your file.

Which is never right away. Keep your evidence brief and clear. A SHORT letter of explanation is better than an extra 100 pages of evidence.

(To borrow from the New Yorker cartoon, "how about never? Does never work for you?")
Honestly for me, the easiest way to provide proof of residency is bank statements (54 pages) + rental agreement ( 14 pages).

So in total it would be 68 pages worth of stuff.... in my opinion I think the bank statments is super quick to read as there is the date and stuff I purchased.

Thoughts on all that?

riisingsun

Sep 6, 2024
I think bank statements are excessive, and rental statements prove nothing, just that you've spent money on an apartment.

Up to you.

Me, I'd attach CRA showing Canadian employment, for two years, and be done with it.
I was a student for the past two years, I have never been employed in canada for the past two years. The list does not show " proof of university enrollment" as one of the proofs

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honestly for me, the easiest way to provide proof of residency is bank statements (54 pages) + rental agreement ( 14 pages).

So in total it would be 68 pages worth of stuff.... in my opinion I think the bank statments is super quick to read as there is the date and stuff I purchased.

Thoughts on all that?
As mentioned, excessive bank statements is severe overkill.

Ideally, a bank statement (or two) showing actual activity in your neighbourhood (ATM activity, debit use at a local shop, etc.) would prove that you were there...as long as this is not a joint account with someone else having access to your account as well.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thoughts on all that?
If you meet your RO, why do you need to submit 68 pages of document. IRCC only wants 2 supporting documents. So 2 bank statements showing active transactions? Or NOA (student CAN and should still file tax return with no income)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was a student for the past two years, I have never been employed in canada for the past two years. The list does not show " proof of university enrollment" as one of the proofs
The list gives examples, not the only things that can be shown. University enrollment (assuming full-time and not online) should be pretty darn good evidence, far better than a lease.

The instructions say explicitly "Some examples include". Do they also need to tell you to think? Use that education just a bit.