+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successfully obtaining PR in Canada with a spent UK record

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
Hi i was just wondering if i could get anyone's opinion who has successfully received permanent residency via spousal sponsorship with a UK criminal record?

I have done a hell of a lot of research and this is a quote from the faq's section on the CIC's website

"I am sponsoring my spouse/partner, but he/she has a criminal conviction, how will this affect his/her application?

If a conviction is considered spent under the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, this will probably not affect his/her application. However, if the conviction has not been spent or if the offence was committed in another country, it may mean that your spouse/partner is considered inadmissible. This means that he/she cannot enter Canada. In rare cases, special permission to enter is granted."

All my offences were dealt with in magistrates, i received no custodial sentences only community orders and fines for which i have completed and in july of 2017 will mark 5 years since completion of final punishment

I feel i have a strong argument for why there is zero chance of re offending, i can get multiple character references plus evidence of how ive turned my life around and given back to the community, all 3 crimes i committed were done whilst intoxicated, i am now 3 years t-total and never looked back

has anyone been through something similar to this and gained PR via spousal sponsorship?

did you hire an immigration lawyer?

do you apply for both at the same time or is your application assessed during the sponsorship application?

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
PS all my convictions as stands are considered spent

drink drive
driving without due care and attention
failure to stop at an accident
using threatening or offensive language with intent to cause distress
failure to adhere to a court order
criminal damage under £5000 (committed as a minor)

the offences between * are ones that were committed as one event so all driving offences are from the same incidence

My crimes are considered spent as i did no jail time and they were committed nearly 4 years ago

quote from pancanada immigration law group

" the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act automatically pardons individuals after certain periods of time (depending on the circumstances) if the person was sentenced to less than 30 months in prison. Such a pardon is equivalent to a Canadian pardon and would allow the person to enter Canada."

Please any advice or experience on the original post questions would be very much appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think you should have any issues being sponsored provided you apply after the five year period has passed (i.e. after July 2017).

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
beanutbutter said:
"I am sponsoring my spouse/partner, but he/she has a criminal conviction, how will this affect his/her application?

If a conviction is considered spent under the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, this will probably not affect his/her application. However, if the conviction has not been spent or if the offence was committed in another country, it may mean that your spouse/partner is considered inadmissible. This means that he/she cannot enter Canada. In rare cases, special permission to enter is granted."
Do you have a link for this?

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
bartjones said:
Do you have a link for this?
It is the 5th statement up from the bottom in bold

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/faq.aspx?lang=eng

You did help answer some of my questions the other day for which im grateful, I've just been researching manically for weeks now and im losing my mind over this

I feel if my life were documented like the truman show that anyone would see that i am a completely changed person, im sure that statement is overused but i truly believe in my circumstance i am nothing of the man i was due to reaching a rock bottom with alcohol misuse and coming to terms with my issues

I was hoping i could hear some success stories of people who had gotten PR in Canada with spent uk criminal convictions

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Thanks, that's interesting, since the IRPA specifically says that only Canadian record suspensions or pardons are recognized by CIC. Maybe there are special arrangements for Brits.

If you really want a definitive answer I would suggest submitting an Application For Criminal Rehabilitation to CIC London. You can get the Guide and Forms here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E6

In section A of the application form tick "For Information Only". You don't need to submit an up front fee if you do that. They will look at your situation and provide a final answer as to whether you are inadmissible.

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
bartjones said:
Thanks, that's interesting, since the IRPA specifically says that only Canadian record suspensions or pardons are recognized by CIC. Maybe there are special arrangements for Brits.

If you really want a definitive answer I would suggest submitting an Application For Criminal Rehabilitation to CIC London. You can get the Guide and Forms here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp#5312E6

In section A of the application form tick "For Information Only". You don't need to submit an up front fee if you do that. They will look at your situation and provide a final answer as to whether you are inadmissible.
I believe there is an alternate course of action where brits are concerned

"reply from CIC to a brit requesting rehabilitation"

http://www.bouzanethomas.com/CriminalRehabLetter.pdf

"pardons and the Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974"

http://immigrationcanada.pro/criminal-issues/

"If you have been granted a pardon in a foreign jurisdiction and that pardon is equivalent to a Canadian pardon, then you are admissible and can enter Canada.

The pardon is equivalent to a Canadian pardon if the pardon erases the conviction.

For example, the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act automatically pardons individuals after certain periods of time (depending on the circumstances) if the person was sentenced to less than 30 months in prison. Such a pardon is equivalent to a Canadian pardon and would allow the person to enter Canada."

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
I contacted NARCO the other day who confirmed that all my crimes are spent given that they were dealt with in magistrates court and no custodial time was served that it takes a period of 3 years since conviction for the offences to be considered "spent" equivalent to a "pardon" according to above source

I am in the process of gathering the documents from the police check that will confirm my offences being spent

Is my Application For Criminal Rehabilitation under information only going to have any effect on future application and am i able to submit it prior to the mandatory 5 year waiting period?

in other words will they consider the application as if it were submitted 5 years post sentence completion (July 2017)

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
bartjones said:

Bart i wish i had know that before i would have submitted that form. In the meantime we still have to wait to see if his criminal records affects his admission to Canada. In the U.K. it will remain on your police record until you reach 99 years of age or die. The criminal record check will come up with NO LIVE TRACE, which means you had a criminal record but time has passed and its no longer relevant ..

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
taffy7 said:
Bart i wish i had know that before i would have submitted that form. In the meantime we still have to wait to see if his criminal records affects his admission to Canada. In the U.K. it will remain on your police record until you reach 99 years of age or die. The criminal record check will come up with NO LIVE TRACE, which means you had a criminal record but time has passed and its no longer relevant ..
so presumably with the above information if it comes up as NO LIVE TRACE that is spent which is considered a pardon

See i am now unsure whether or not i should just apply soon or still wait out the 5 year period

Given that my crimes are already spent in UK under the ROA 1974 that would equate to all offences being pardoned

Here is another letter confirming the recognition of ROA 1974 with reference to the burgon case

http://www.bouzanethomas.com/CrimRehab2.PNG

The recipient of the letter was deemed no longer inadmissible due to crimes being considered spent under UK law

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
beanutbutter said:
Is my Application For Criminal Rehabilitation under information only going to have any effect on future application and am i able to submit it prior to the mandatory 5 year waiting period?

in other words will they consider the application as if it were submitted 5 years post sentence completion (July 2017)
I must say, I'm a little surprised by this since there is nothing in the IRPA or the regulations stating that spent convictions in Britain are the equivalent to pardoned offences under Canadian law.

In any case, you can submit it prior to the 5 year period because you are arguing that the convictions are spent and no longer render you inadmissible. If that argument is correct, the 5 year wait period shouldn't apply. I think you have nothing to lose by applying now.

If CIC determines that your application is premature and you have to wait the 5 years, you can always resubmit the application when the 5 years are up.

You might want to look at this old thread for a similar issue http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-uk-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974-recognized-for-purpose-of-immigration-t80214.0.html

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
taffy7 said:
Yes, that's what I'm not sure of. In my wife's case, her South Korean DUI conviction had been removed from the criminal records database, but remained in a separate database called "lapsed records". CIC didn't care that she no longer had, strictly speaking, any criminal record. However, it looks like they may make exceptions like this for Brits. I agree, he should apply and see what happens.

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
bartjones said:
I must say, I'm a little surprised by this since there is nothing in the IRPA or the regulations stating that spent convictions in Britain are the equivalent to pardoned offences under Canadian law.

In any case, you can submit it prior to the 5 year period because you are arguing that the convictions are spent and no longer render you inadmissible. If that argument is correct, the 5 year wait period shouldn't apply. I think you have nothing to lose by applying now.

If CIC determines that your application is premature and you have to wait the 5 years, you can always resubmit the application when the 5 years are up.

You might want to look at this old thread for a similar issue http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-uk-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974-recognized-for-purpose-of-immigration-t80214.0.html
Yes that is definitely some food for thought, i guess i am focusing so much on ways of it working as it has become my life goal

here is the section of the page you linked also backing what is posted above however i did read through the counter arguments which do make some good points

If a conviction is considered spent under the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, this will probably not affect his/her application. However, if the conviction has not been spent or if the offence was committed in another country, it may mean that your spouse/partner is considered inadmissible. This means that he/she cannot enter Canada. In rare cases, special permission to enter is granted.

So my caution and conviction were both from crimes comitted in the UK. As such they are now deemed spent under the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act. The most recent being a fine for disorderly conduct and was considered spent September 2004. So from reading the above these should 'probably' not effect my entry into Canada.

I went to seek clarification for this online and then found the following.

This is from ENF 14 /OP 19 Criminal rehabiliation Manual
The effect of a foreign pardon does not necessarily render a person admissible to Canada. The following factors must be taken into account.

"the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act automatically pardons eligible individuals without the person having to apply, if the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of less than 30 months"

So if you fall under a prescribed class of person described in section A36(1) A36(2) of the IRPA then you are classed as inadmissible to Canada.

There is however a caviat to this A36(3) again taken from ENF 14 /OP19 Criminal Rehabilitation
"Inadmissibility under A36(1) and A36(2) may not be based on a conviction in respect of which: i) A Pardon has been granted and has not ceased to have effect or been revoked under the criminal records act or ii) there has been a final determination of an acquital"

Things are cloudy here also as it states a pardon under the criminal records act. (Not the UK rehabilitation of offenders act)

I then found a couple of interesting documents
cisr.gc.ca/Eng/brdcom/references/legjur/iadsai/appl/Documents/sponsor_parrain_e.pdf (Chapter 2 Page 8 )
irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/brdcom/references/legjur/iadsai/roaren/Documents/RoaAmrChap08_e.pdf (Page 20)

The first reference is taken from Chapter 2 page 8 Sponsorhip Appeals

Foreign convictions
Foreign dispositions in criminal matters may take forms unknown under Canadian law and their effect will have to be determined by the IAD. The use of the word “convicted” in section 36 of IRPA means a conviction that has not been expunged.(21) Foreign convictions can also be expunged.

The reference (21) in the above is Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration) v. Burgon, [1991] 3 F.C. 44 (C.A.).

What the above represents is that the definition of "convicted" meaning you are a person described under 36(1) 36(2) of the IRPA becomes void as it is only relevant for outstanding convictions. Accepting that a foreign conviction may become spent or expunged. This is the case with the Rehabilitation of Offenders act.

Not content with what I had found so far.

This then takes us to Page 20, Removal order Appeals. Criminal Equivalency.

Effect of a Pardon
The granting of a pardon in another country does not necessarily render the person concerned admissible to Canada. The Federal Court of Appeal considered the effect of a pardon in a foreign jurisdiction in Burgon.57 The Court concluded that in using the word “convicted” in the inadmissibility provisions, Parliament meant a conviction that has not been expunged pursuant to any other legislation it had enacted. The Court further held that when the laws and legal system of the foreign country are substantially similar to those of Canada in purpose, content and result, effect should be given to a foreign pardon unless there is good reason not to do so.

The further question to consider is whether the U.K. legislation, which is similar in purpose, but not identical to the Canadian law, should be treated in the same way. In both countries, certain offenders are granted the advantage of avoiding the stigma of a criminal record so as to facilitate their rehabilitation.There is no good reason for Canadian immigration law to thwart the goal of this British legislation, which is consistent with the Canadian law.
Our two legal systems are based on similar foundations and share similar values. ...

Unless there is some valid basis for deciding otherwise, therefore, the legislation of countries similar to ours, especially when their aims are identical, ought to be accorded respect. While I certainly agree with Justice Bora Laskin that the law of another country cannot be “controlling in relation to an inquiry about criminal convictions to determine whether immigration to Canada should be permitted” (see Minister of Manpower and Immigration v. Brooks,
[1974] S.C.R. 850, at page 863), we should recognize the laws of other countries which are based on similar foundations to ours, unless there is a solid rationale for departing therefrom. ...

The burgon case is quoted below including Barnett V Canada with specific reference to the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act 1974. The paragraph I have highlighted in Bold I believe sums it all up quite nicely.

M.E.I. v. Burgon, David Ross (F.C.A., no. A-17-90), MacGuigan, Linden, Mahoney (concurring in the result), February 22, 1991. Reported: Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration) v. Burgon, [1991] 3 F.C. 44 (C.A.). The Court had to consider the application to the definition of “convicted” in the former Immigration Act of the United Kingdom Powers of Criminal Courts Act, 1973, which legislation provided that a person who was convicted of an offence (like Burgon's offence) and received a probation order was deemed not to be convicted of the offence. In the Court's view, Burgon was not considered convicted under United Kingdom law; therefore, because the United Kingdom and Canadian legal systems were so similar, there was no conviction for purposes of the Immigration Act. See also Barnett, John v. M.C.I. (F.C.T.D., no. IMM-4280-94), Jerome, March 22, 1996. Reported: Barnett v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) (1996),
33 Imm. L.R. (2d) 1 (F.C.T.D.). The Court considered another piece of legislation, the United Kingdom Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, 1974, which provided that, where a person was convicted and sentenced for certain offences and was then rehabilitated, the conviction was expunged. The Court applied the rationale in Burgon and found that, although there were differences in the two pieces of legislation, the effect was the same: under both statutes, the person could not be said to have been convicted. Therefore, Barnett was not considered to have been convicted in the United Kingdom and he was not convicted for purposes of the Immigration Act.

Futhermore I have a letter on my compter from a CIC officer dated 2010 which states the following. It is not a letter to me.

After careful review of you appliction, it has been dtermined that you are no longer a person described under sub-section A36(1)(b) or A36(2)(b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) of Canada for criminality abroad.

Previous jurisprudence - namely the Burgon Federal Court of Appeal case - instructed immigration officials to generally assess th UK convictions under the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) instead of the provisions of the IRPA. As such it has been determined that you are no longer inadmissible to Canada since 2005 (5 years after the sentence imposed in your particular case) for the convictions comitted in you native England. As such, the application has been refused as you are not a person eligible or in need of Criminal Rehabilitation and/or of a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) at this time. "

Just to finalize then you would recommend submitting my full application for rehabilitation with all character references, reasons why i will not reoffend, how ive given back to the community, what lead up to the incidences and my explanation behind them, for information purposes only, there is no need to send any payment at all and this will not affect a future attempt in a negative way?

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
Also under the section "reasons for visiting Canada" would it be advisable to omit that my finace lives there?

my understanding is this form is just to make myself admissible to Canada

by submitting that i have a partner in Canada whom i intend to marry and become sponsored by do i not put doubt in immigration officials mind that i may be an illegal over stayer once permitted access

would it be recommended to put "tourism purposes" or just come straight forward with the entire situation

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I think what Bart is saying and myself is that you have nothing to lose if you decide to send off your application now. The thing is they don't do the criminal record check until the very end , so your sponsor may get SA then your file is transferred and you may have to wait 11 months until you know if there is a problem or not .

My husbands crime was committed 21 years ago and we are still unsure if he will be admitted. There was a case on here some time ago where an older gentleman who committed a crime nothing harsh over 30 years ago and got denied.

My husband has been able to visit a number of times with out any problems .