+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successfully obtaining PR in Canada with a spent UK record

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
taffy7 said:
I think what Bart is saying and myself is that you have nothing to lose if you decide to send off your application now. The thing is they don't do the criminal record check until the very end , so your sponsor may get SA then your file is transferred and you may have to wait 11 months until you know if there is a problem or not .

My husbands crime was committed 21 years ago and we are still unsure if he will be admitted. There was a case on here some time ago where an older gentleman who committed a crime nothing harsh over 30 years ago and got denied.

My husband has been able to visit a number of times with out any problems .
thats a little worrying

Ok I will gather relevant documents and character references, accounts of incidents, reasons i believe i am deemed rehabilitated etc

Would it be advisable under the reasons for visiting canada section to put that my fiance is a Canadian citizen and that i one day intend to immigrate?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
No need to give them any more information than needed . I would just write to visit my fiancee.

beanutbutter

Dec 15, 2014
taffy7 said:
No need to give them any more information than needed . I would just write to visit my fiancee.
Ok I will gather relevant documents asap and file sort, dispatch then post my results on this forum

all i want is for this to be over and done with so i can start my life with my fiancee.

presumably i should be sending them photocopies of everything given that i will need the originals to re photocopy to send off for my official application when ever the time comes?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Just to finalize then you would recommend submitting my full application for rehabilitation with all character references, reasons why i will not reoffend, how ive given back to the community, what lead up to the incidences and my explanation behind them, for information purposes only, there is no need to send any payment at all and this will not affect a future attempt in a negative way?
You can submit it now for information purposes without payment. They may ask you to pay a fee later. If what you are saying about the British offence being spent is true, then CIC should rule that you are not inadmissible.

As I see it, there are only two possible negative consequences

(i) They find your application is premature in which case you can re-submit when the 5 years are up.

(ii) They don't accept your argument and, for whatever reason, find you are forever inadmissible. It probably doesn't matter when you find that out, in fact it would be better IMO to learn that sooner than later.

beanutbutter said:
Also under the section "reasons for visiting Canada" would it be advisable to omit that my finace lives there?
I agree with taffy7. Just say you want to come to canada to visit your fiance.

jsadl01

Sep 23, 2015
Hi,

I'm late to this thread but it's the most relevant one i could find to my own unique situation, wondering if any of you have some advice now that you've gone through the process yourself.

I have just come to the end of my 2 year work permit in Canada, married a Canadian while i was here and am full time employed. I went through express entry, provided my police certificate which has 2 cautions from the UK on it. One for damage to property of less than 5k and one for battery. These are cautions, no charges or convictions so i had no issues getting my work permit and it's not been an issue ever before.

In my PR application i've just been asked to provide further details of the incident including a letter of explination and an original police report of the incident (which takes 40 days to get so i'm also having to request an extension to provide this!).

Do you anticipate these cautions from September 2012 being an issue to my application for PR? I have seen in some cases even convictions are considered spent after 3 years, but i can't find the rules on cautions and i'm panicking a bit that after setting up my life here, it could turn bad and i could be inadmissible for PR.

Any advice is great!

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
jsadl01 said:
Hi,

I'm late to this thread but it's the most relevant one i could find to my own unique situation, wondering if any of you have some advice now that you've gone through the process yourself.

I have just come to the end of my 2 year work permit in Canada, married a Canadian while i was here and am full time employed. I went through express entry, provided my police certificate which has 2 cautions from the UK on it. One for damage to property of less than 5k and one for battery. These are cautions, no charges or convictions so i had no issues getting my work permit and it's not been an issue ever before.

In my PR application i've just been asked to provide further details of the incident including a letter of explination and an original police report of the incident (which takes 40 days to get so i'm also having to request an extension to provide this!).

Do you anticipate these cautions from September 2012 being an issue to my application for PR? I have seen in some cases even convictions are considered spent after 3 years, but i can't find the rules on cautions and i'm panicking a bit that after setting up my life here, it could turn bad and i could be inadmissible for PR.

Any advice is great!
Unfortunately we are still waiting for a decision to be made They have not asked us for any further details of the case, but i sent them anyway . That was a bad move i should have stayed well alone as his conviction was over 22 years ago. I ordered notes about our case and in them was a question of why did this applicant sent his convictions when we didn't need them , may be we should look why it didn't come up on his police check .. Dumb ass it did but they don't understand the difference between live trace and no trace .

fauxkiwi

Sep 12, 2017
Hi all,

Is this thread still active and can anyone share any light on there outcome?

Thank you in advance.

seekingCR2

Star Member
May 10, 2017
I just thought to share my story. I had careless driving in 2008 and it's been more than 5 years now. Criminal rehabilitation process is a long time process. I submitted my application in May 2017 to Los Angeles, CA consular office but I haven't heard anything from them. Bad part is you can't check your application progress or do anything about it except waiting. I am waiting first to get criminal rehab done then I am planning to apply for PR under express entry.