+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successful Short Landing for Canada PR in Toronto and US Visa Stamping.

pallysha2014

Jun 8, 2014
Successful Short Landing at Toronto and H1-B visa stamping at Ottawa
I would like to share our experience of successful Short Landing at Toronto and H1-B stamping at Ottawa. Honestly speaking when we were planning this trip we were a bit nervous but thankfully due to god’s grace everything went smoothly.

Canada Landing:

We booked our flight from US to Toronto through Porter Airlines on November 23 2015 . Porter is one of the cheapest airlines from the USA. In Toronto, Porter Airlines lands on Billy Bishop Airport. It is a pretty small airport with hardly any rush. Due to which we didn’t have to wait in the Immigration line.
When we landed in the Billy Bishop Airport we got into the regular immigration line. At the immigration counter we handed over the customs card that we were given in the flight and told the officer that we have arrived in Canada to do landing. She congratulated us and told us to go into a separate room.
In the immigration room the officer asked us for our passports and the COPR form. He also asked us for the Canadian address where the PR cards will be mailed. We had already written the address and phone number of our relatives in a separate paper and handed over the paper to him. It is always advisable to keep the Canadian address ready on a separate paper. The officer asked us are we going to this address and to this we replied that we will be going there in the future and we have arrived now for our Visa. We also handed the B4 and B4 A forms. We also had the photograph of goods with us but the officer said that they do not need the pictures now.

The officer asked us to wait. After half an hour later the officer handed us a receipt for all the goods that we had provided in the B4 and B4 A form and stapled the COPR form to our passports. He stated that till the time you receive the PR cards keep this form in your passport. The COPR form is like a proof for Permanent residency till we get the physical cards. The COPR from can also be used to request a PR visa if we do not have the PR cards with us and we have to exit and re-enter Canada. We were not asked for POF.
After doing the short landing we boarded the flight to Ottawa and stayed overnight in the hotel. Next day we had visa interview at the US embassy.
We had to choose US embassy for Ottawa because there were no visa dates at Toronto embassy.
H1 B stamping at Ottawa
At the US embassy in Ottawa you are only allowed to enter half an hour before the interview. Ours was a 12.00 pm slot and we arrived at 11.30. After the security check we met an officer who was checking our passports. She asked about our purpose of visit to Canada. We said that we came here for short landing. She looked at our passports and said ‘ Welcome to Canada’. This was the first time that someone had officially welcomed us in the country.

Then she asked us to move forward and meet the officer in counter 5 and 6. Before the counters there was a line . We waited for our turn. At the first counter the US officer asked for our passport and I797 forms and receipt copy of the visa interview. We handed them. We were also asked if the photograph that we provided was a recent one. We said ‘Yes’. If you say No then the officer hands over a separate one page from to submit new passport size pictures. There are passport photo shops nearby. So even if you don’t have the latest photographs. You can come back after your interview with the form and submit your photos.
We also provided our fingerprints and waited for the other VO to call our name.
Finally it was our turn and the Vo started with his questions
Me- Good morning sir
VO- Good Morning , what’s your purpose of visit in Canada
Me- We just became PR and came here for short landing
VO- Okay , what do you do in the US
Me- I work in the R& D department for a Pharma company
VO- Okay , what is your job responsibility
Me- Me- I explained everything in details for 5 minutes. That was intense and nerve wracking.
Vo – Okay
Vo to my wife- What do you do in US?
My wife- I work as XYX in an ABC company on H4 EAD
VO- Where is that located ?
My wife- located at PQR,
Vo- Really you have that company at PQR
My wife got a bit nervous and I stepped in between stating that there headquarter is located in a different location and she works at their branch office
Vo- ok, your visa is approved you will get your passports in 2 Business days
Those words were music to my ears. I think getting the US visa stamped was more difficult than doing the short landing in Canada
I thinks since I was working fulltime so my interview didn’t last that long. But in front of me there were two people in the line who were grilled for almost 15 minutes and their US visa was denied.
Apply for SIN in Canada
We collected our passport on Monday and went to the SIN office. You will need your passport with the attached COPR to apply for SIN number. At the SIN office in Ottawa we filled a small form that had columns for my mother’s maiden name, Fathers name and Canada address and phone number. Even here we gave our relatives address. The SIN numbers were given on the spot. We didn’t have to wait long for it. In total getting and SIN number was just a half an hour process.

This entire process took 5 days. But its always advisable to keep your boss informed if something goes haywire with the US visa stamping.

Tips
Travel Light, Don’t pack too much luggage
Pack each and every documents that you can think off.
Only carry documents and your wallet in the US embassy. They do not allow anything else in the embassy. My wife had a watch on her. She was asked to hand over the watch and it was in a separate locker near the embassy entrance. The officer handed her a tag for the watch which she had to show at the gate to collect her watch once the interview is over.
Let me know if you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer.

I have always been a silent observer of this forum and didn't post much and it really helped me through my PR journey. I am really thankful to god and this forum . :)

mohit7269

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
Dear Pallysha2014,

I am in a similar situation. Wondering we could connect sometime. I will be happy to give you a call at your convenience.

Thanks,
Mohit

pins

Apr 25, 2014
good information..Thanks for sharing

one question in my mind why you went for US stamping will ...i think its not required

1. if you already have un expired visa you can use that stamp and I797 to enter again.
or
2. if stamp expired i think still use "AVR" rule and I797 then come back

guide me

pins

Apr 25, 2014
HI pallysha2014,

can you give me some idea on my question its important me as i am planing for short landing soon.