+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refused "you do not have significant family ties outside canada"

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Hi,
I re-applied and now I have received a letter from the Canadian embassy Saying

Dear (Full name),
This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on
your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.
Passport requirements

• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

Your passport must be received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada within
30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application.
Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport
My agent says this means my visa has been approved. I made an appointment with the Local VFS center to bring in my passport to get my VISA sticker.

My questions are:
  • Is this the port of entry (POE) letter or is that something different from this letter?
  • If POE is a different letter should I bring both letters when I arrive to Canada or Just this letter is enough?
  • My university is in Vancouver does this mean I must enter Canada through Vancouver or Can I enter Canada through any international airports in Canada, Toronto for example?

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thank you

thomas23

Star Member
Mar 12, 2023
Hi,

My agent says this means my visa has been approved. I made an appointment with the Local VFS center to bring in my passport to get my VISA sticker.

My questions are:
  • Is this the port of entry (POE) letter or is that something different from this letter?
  • If POE is a different letter should I bring both letters when I arrive to Canada or Just this letter is enough?
  • My university is in Vancouver does this mean I must enter Canada through Vancouver or Can I enter Canada through any international airports in Canada, Toronto for example?

Thank you
First of all, congratulations! Your visa has been initially approved.

No this is not the POE. You will automatically receive that once they have put the counter foul in your passport.

You must bring your POE with you to Canada once you receive it as that is the most important document. However, it’s suggested to bring along all the documents you have submitted in case the officer asks for any.

You can enter Canada through any airport with immigration. And yes you can most definitely enter through YYZ. If it is not a transiting flight, then you might have to explain to the officer as to why you’re landing in Toronto if your university is in Vancouver. If it is to visit family, then you can simply tell the officer that!

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023

No this is not the POE. You will automatically receive that once they have put the counter foul in your passport.

You must bring your POE with you to Canada once you receive it as that is the most important document. However, it’s suggested to bring along all the documents you have submitted in case the officer asks for any.

You can enter Canada through any airport with immigration. And yes you can most definitely enter through YYZ. If it is not a transiting flight, then you might have to explain to the officer as to why you’re landing in Toronto if your university is in Vancouver. If it is to visit family, then you can simply tell the officer that!
Wow you cleared all my confusions in one reply. All the resources i spent on my immigration consultant seem waste now. He couldn't answer my simplest questions.
Thank you so much for all your help throughout this time. You are one of the good ones!

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi,

My questions are:

Thank you
Hi there, congratulations so happy for you. My brother is going through something similar regarding strong family ties. Can i ask what exactly you ended up doing?

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Hi there, congratulations so happy for you. My brother is going through something similar regarding strong family ties. Can i ask what exactly you ended up doing?
Hi,
When I re-applied, I gave them explanation on my strong family ties including My mom, grandmother and extended family as well as other significant ties including properties, and community engagements.

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023

I do have family in Toronto, so can I just say I am staying with family for a weekend in Toronto, since I have more than a week before student orientation, and going to Vancouver afterwards given that I have already booked a domestic flight from Toronto to Vancouver?

Last edited:

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
I do have family in Toronto, so can I just say I am staying with family for a weekend in Toronto, since I have more than a week before student orientation, and going to Vancouver afterwards given that I have already booked a domestic flight from Toronto to Vancouver?
Tell the immigration officer the name of the relative you're staying with in Toronto, their relation to you, and their address confidently. Show the ticket to Vancouver as proof that you will travel and study there.

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys, please help dissect this reason for refusal according to gcms notes. I literally just received the gcms notes i applied for since june.

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
This is my brother's application
He's 17yrs old
Application from Nigeria
UVIC : Humanities
We got a refusal may 11, applied for gcms notes same day after many emails and back and forth we just received it today.

Reasons for refusal :
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the
details you have provided in your application.
• You have significant family ties in Canada.

Please see the gcms notes for actual officer's reasons
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZqMMHfe0AQVn8Ce7NYPLLLEKMp4Mj1jd/view?usp=drivesdk

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
How old are you? Does any family live in Canada? Do spouse and children live in home country?
17yrs old
Mum, dad, 2brothers and 1 sister all back home
Successful Family businesses and significant properties back home as well
2 sisters ( PR in Canada), 1 brother (student in Canada)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is my brother's application
He's 17yrs old
Application from Nigeria
UVIC : Humanities
We got a refusal may 11, applied for gcms notes same day after many emails and back and forth we just received it today.

Reasons for refusal :
• The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the
details you have provided in your application.
• You have significant family ties in Canada.

Please see the gcms notes for actual officer's reasons
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZqMMHfe0AQVn8Ce7NYPLLLEKMp4Mj1jd/view?usp=drivesdk
Not going into the link which asks me to sign into google. You will have to post notes. Who lives in Canada? What are his ties to Nigeria? First bullet can mean anything but IRCC thinks he will not return. Does his program give many career opportunities to justify a four year degree in humanities?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chefnimz

Chefnimz

Star Member
Jan 10, 2019
Not going into the link which asks me to sign into google. You will have to post notes. Who lives in Canada? What are his ties to Nigeria? First bullet can mean anything but IRCC thinks he will not return.
My bad, i have now updated the link access. Anyone can view via link. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My bad, i have now updated the link access. Anyone can view via link. Thank you
So he is planning to go to U of V and live in Surrey? He has a lot of family in Canada. A 4 year program in humanities doesn’t give any career opportunities in Nigeria to justify costs that is why IRCC doesn’t believe he is a bona fide student. Consider a program that gives career opportunities (computer science, health sciences) in Eastern Canada. Show that a program will justify the costs.