+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Refused w/o Request for Police Certificate (Manila, Online)

urbanist

Jun 23, 2014
:mad: :mad: :mad:
My study permit and TRVs for my family members have been refused by the Canadian embassy in Manila (online application). The official correspondence letter says: "You have not complied with our request for information, as per section 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. To date, you have failed to comply with our request for: Police certificate from countries that you have been residing in for more than 6 months since the age of 18."

I followed the online application instructions verbatim, HOWEVER THERE WAS NO REQUEST FOR POLICE CERTIFICATES ON MYCIC from the embassy. It wasn't even on the checklist in the first place! I was compliant with the standard application procedures, and according to MYCIC our documents have been reviewed and "no additional documents are needed at this time".

I already filed an inquiry to the embassy to re-open our files, because there was no explicit request, but I am not sure if it will result in anything. It will definitely take some time for them to answer, and my studies begin in September, so I am not sure if I should just file a new application altogether. I don't want to lose my money though - it's $350 for the whole family...

Any opinions?

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
urbanist said:
:mad: :mad: :mad:
My study permit and TRVs for my family members have been refused by the Canadian embassy in Manila (online application). The official correspondence letter says: "You have not complied with our request for information, as per section 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. To date, you have failed to comply with our request for: Police certificate from countries that you have been residing in for more than 6 months since the age of 18."

I followed the online application instructions verbatim, HOWEVER THERE WAS NO REQUEST FOR POLICE CERTIFICATES ON MYCIC from the embassy. It wasn't even on the checklist in the first place! I was compliant with the standard application procedures, and according to MYCIC our documents have been reviewed and "no additional documents are needed at this time".

I already filed an inquiry to the embassy to re-open our files, because there was no explicit request, but I am not sure if it will result in anything. It will definitely take some time for them to answer, and my studies begin in September, so I am not sure if I should just file a new application altogether. I don't want to lose my money though - it's $350 for the whole family...

Any opinions?
They may have mixed you up with another applicant? If you want to start your studies in September, I would recommend that you re-apply and pay the fees again otherwise you risk your Sept entry.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This sounds shocking. I applied online over 2 months ago in Japan and my application was transferred over to the Manila office. After they took their sweet 1 month to get to the stage of approving my Medical, they asked my wife and me to furnish police clearances from 4 countries that we lived in previously. They also gave us a very impossible deadline of 2 weeks to furnish all 4 of them. I had to send them an email requesting additional time as Canadian and Singaporean PCC's can take forever. They responded back by giving us 45 additional days. I am still waiting for my Singaporean PCC as of now. When I filled out my forms initially, no PCC request was generated, just like yours. Hope that helps.

urbanist

Jun 23, 2014
kaulvirus said:
This sounds shocking. I applied online over 2 months ago in Japan and my application was transferred over to the Manila office. After they took their sweet 1 month to get to the stage of approving my Medical, they asked my wife and me to furnish police clearances from 4 countries that we lived in previously. They also gave us a very impossible deadline of 2 weeks to furnish all 4 of them. I had to send them an email requesting additional time as Canadian and Singaporean PCC's can take forever. They responded back by giving us 45 additional days. I am still waiting for my Singaporean PCC as of now. When I filled out my forms initially, no PCC request was generated, just like yours. Hope that helps.
Thanks, it is indeed shocking as I followed every procedure I could find on their website...
May I ask how did their request for police certificate look like? Was it in the form of a message (.pdf file) or just notification in the table on MYCIC?
If you can please attach the print-screen of that request.
And how are you supposed to submit these police certificates: online or send by mail? Is there just an additional box for that that appears on MYCIC?
I am trying to figure out what went wrong with our applications, maybe some problem with their IT system?
I am so pissed off now because of this whole situation... :(

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be honest, everything especially in my case seemed haphazard to me. I am an indian citizen but I've been living overseas for the past 9 years. Despite that, they requested me to get a Medical test done. In most cases I know, PCC is seldom required, yet they asked my wife and me to furnish them. PCC request was very standard, it' came as a pdf notification in the mycic table where they have asked us to provide police clearances for the countries you've lived in for more than 6 months. We need to submit them online via view submitted form button. Automatically, they've setup a button for you to upload your PCC's. My PCC application process has been really complicated. I had to goto a Japanese Prefectural Headquarters and ask them to give me a PCC. For that, I needed to take a print out of the pdf CIC sent me for them to furnish one. I asked Singapore for a PCC for which you have to send some forms along with a $50 SGD draft and the same cic pdf. I've lived in Canada before, so I had to seek help from a private company fingerprint.ca to digitize my prints and get a certificate from RCMP. MY Police verification had not been completed for India, thus I couldn't get a PCC from the Indian Embassy in Japan, for that I had to come back to India to sort it out. I would sincerely advise you to contact Manila and ask them to reopen your file. If Manila never sent you a PCC request pdf, the fault is definitely at their end.

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pls urbanist it has happened & serves as warning for others as such attachment will not take anything away from ones application. As time is not on ur side just file in another application & they may wish to compensate u if they discover their error in initial refusal. I am 100% sure ur application will received exceptional treatment inform of compensation & fast too. Good luck

urbanist

Jun 23, 2014
Thank you guys. I have submitted queries to the embassy in Manila and am gonna wait for their reply while my police certificates are getting done.

Any other comments on my case???

urbanist

Jun 23, 2014
YAY! We have finally got it sorted out! :D :D :D

I sent them a bunch of e-mails, which they probably didn't read. After that I discovered a possibility of appeal through the Immigration Program Manager. I have found her information here:
w03.international.gc.ca/CRA-RCE/mission.aspx?lang=eng&MID=77

I sent her a personal e-mail, but she didn't answer me. Then I tried calling: they wouldn't connect me to her directly, but I talked to the front desk girl and she transferred my inquiry to the person in charge. On the same day I received an e-mail from the Immigration Program Manager saying that our visas have been reinstated.

Faith in humanity: restored.
At least there are some fair people out there.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
urbanist said:

I sent them a bunch of e-mails, which they probably didn't read. After that I discovered a possibility of appeal through the Immigration Program Manager. I have found her information here:

I sent her a personal e-mail, but she didn't answer me. Then I tried calling: they wouldn't connect me to her directly, but I talked to the front desk girl and she transferred my inquiry to the person in charge. On the same day I received an e-mail from the Immigration Program Manager saying that our visas have been reinstated.

Praise God! :D It was a good thing you didn't give up on your application! I hope everything will be well po.

Good luck! :)

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats and all the best! Btw, did you finally get to submit your PCC's then?

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
urbanist said:

You are a dogged fighter, I like ur spirit & I learnt a lession here. Congrats.

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manwhile, Urbanist did they tell u ur file was closed after u are initially refused? Did they ask u to apply afresh?

urbanist

Jun 23, 2014
kaulvirus said:
Congrats and all the best! Btw, did you finally get to submit your PCC's then?
No, I already paid money to get the translated police certificates notarized, but finally they just gave me the visas without having to submit them.

ola1974 said:
Manwhile, Urbanist did they tell u ur file was closed after u are initially refused? Did they ask u to apply afresh?
Yes, in the beginning they told me the cases were closed and I would have to file a new application. That was the reason I fought against it.