+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit for minor

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
but then how she will go to school?
she got admitted in grade 1
You just have to prove that you are studying and have a valid study permit. What do you mean she got admitted to grade 1? Did you apply for private school? Registration in a public school will be dependent on you showing proof that you are living in the catchment area.

NMM87

Mar 20, 2020
You just have to prove that you are studying and have a valid study permit. What do you mean she got admitted to grade 1? Did you apply for private school? Registration in a public school will be dependent on you showing proof that you are living in the catchment area.
I am admitted in UQAT, Valdor and there is only 1 English speaking school so to be on the safe side I submitted her documents there via email and they gave me her admission letter

NMM87

Mar 20, 2020
I am admitted in UQAT, Valdor and there is only 1 English speaking school so to be on the safe side I submitted her documents there via email and they gave me her admission letter
what about at the airport and if she will go on TRV how it will be converted into the study permit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what about at the airport and if she will go on TRV how it will be converted into the study permit
No it she will remain a visitor. You should ask that her expiry date match your study permit expiry date. I assume your registration in that particular school may depend on whether there is room left once Canadian citizens qualify first. Most PRs don’t qualify for French schooling.

NMM87

Mar 20, 2020
No it she will remain a visitor. You should ask that her expiry date match your study permit expiry date. I assume your registration in that particular school may depend on whether there is room left once Canadian citizens qualify first. Most PRs don’t qualify for French schooling.
I don't understand this point...to be honest this point is confusing me:

Minor children before entering Canada
Minor children who want to study for six months or more must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who had a study or work permit approved overseas.

You do not need a study permit for a program of six months or less, but you may still apply for one before entering Canada.

If you are coming to Canada with parents who have a valid study or work permit, you don’t need to provide a letter of acceptance from a school when you apply for a study permit.

Reactions: Mtille

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't understand this point...to be honest this point is confusing me:

Minor children before entering Canada
Minor children who want to study for six months or more must apply for a study permit before they enter Canada. This includes minor children who come with parents who had a study or work permit approved overseas.

You do not need a study permit for a program of six months or less, but you may still apply for one before entering Canada.

If you are coming to Canada with parents who have a valid study or work permit, you don’t need to provide a letter of acceptance from a school when you apply for a study permit.
Unless it has changed recently. Could you provide your link,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/minor-children/need-permit.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
From the link you posted:

Minor children already in Canada
Minors already in Canada should apply for a study permit. In some provinces or territories, they may need one to receive social services.

Minor children who are already in Canada may study without a study permit if they:

• are in kindergarten, no matter what their parents’ status is in Canada
  • want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
  • are refugees or refugee claimants
  • have parents who are refugees or refugee claimants
  • came to Canada as a visitor for a course or program of studies of six months or less
  • will study in a course or program of six months or less
  • are in Canada by themselves
Minors who don’t have a study permit need a valid visitor status during their stay in Canada.

Reactions: Mtille

NMM87

Mar 20, 2020
From the link you posted:

Minor children already in Canada
Minors already in Canada should apply for a study permit. In some provinces or territories, they may need one to receive social services.

Minor children who are already in Canada may study without a study permit if they:

• are in kindergarten, no matter what their parents’ status is in Canada
  • want to go to pre-school, primary or secondary school and have a parent who is allowed to work or study in Canada
  • are refugees or refugee claimants
  • have parents who are refugees or refugee claimants
  • came to Canada as a visitor for a course or program of studies of six months or less
  • will study in a course or program of six months or less
  • are in Canada by themselves
Minors who don’t have a study permit need a valid visitor status during their stay in Canada.
thank you so much otherwise I was getting too much confused...

Reactions: canuck78