+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension 2024

prabes

May 1, 2024
Hi Prabas, just curious when your studies got completed in May and your permit got expired, you'll be on maintained status, even then your spouse could work after May.

And if you apply for PGWP on maintained status, you won't be able to work until you receive your PGWP, correct me if I am wrong. In such case, should you wait until you get the study permit extension then apply for PGWP
Yeah...when u applied for pgwp while in maintained status....we are not eligible to work...so there is no point of applying before study permit extension approval...Definitely w8 for decision.
My spouse can work beyond may as we applied before our permit expired.

1779x

May 30, 2024
Category........
STUDY
Hi Guys!

I need help with my situation. I was supposed to finish my studies by Dec 2023. But I had to do another semester as I failed one subject. I applied for the study permit extension on Feb 19th 2024. I completed my studies on April 30th. I have my graduation on the 17th of June which is this coming Monday. But I have not received any update so far. I want to apply for PGWP as well.

Anyone with a similar situation here?
Hi,

It depends. Did you apply for the study permit extension while the permit was valid? I guess you did. You can apply for the PGWP while your study permit extension is still in process. But you must not have worked between April 30th and now. So I suggest that you should apply for your PGWP ASAP and do not withdraw your Study permit application.

Please refer here for more information
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html#:~:text=resident status expires.-,Second application during processing period,-Officers should process

JJ_Van

Jun 12, 2024
Hello everyone!
My situation: current study visa expired April30th
Applied for renewal: March23rd(SOWP, SP + kids SP)
So far I didn’t get any response. I will finish my studies next week, and expect to receive letter of completion with transcript mid July. Hopefully until then I will receive approval.

My question is: in case not receiving response from IRCC about visa after my letter of completion, am I still eligible work 20 hours per week, under the same conditions?

and what do you think (or if here is anyone with exact experience) to apply for PGWP while I am in maintained status? I am little bit afraid of this new rumours about cutting off PGWP for all students..especially those from business schools.

Thank you for any advise and sharing experience!

1779x

May 30, 2024
Category........
STUDY
My application approved today, applied on 16th of May
Congratulations, so you weren't notified about review of eligibility right? It was just Correspondence Letter (Biometrics Validity) and Approval

charan1303

Aug 14, 2020
My application approved today, applied on 16th of May
I applied on 14th, still waiting. Did they update your application to we're reviewing? or is it just direct approval. Also, I applied for co-op work permit extension too, does this count under the timeline wait for work permit extension or just study permit extension?

Mitya

Feb 26, 2022
I applied on 14th, still waiting. Did they update your application to we're reviewing? or is it just direct approval. Also, I applied for co-op work permit extension too, does this count under the timeline wait for work permit extension or just study permit extension?
I had a coop as well, eligibility began yesterday, today got approval

Athige Silva

Feb 3, 2024
Hi,

It depends. Did you apply for the study permit extension while the permit was valid? I guess you did. You can apply for the PGWP while your study permit extension is still in process. But you must not have worked between April 30th and now. So I suggest that you should apply for your PGWP ASAP and do not withdraw your Study permit application.

Please refer here for more information
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html#:~:text=resident status expires.-,Second application during processing period,-Officers should process
Yeah I did apply while my existing study permit was valid. I am having my graduation this Monday. I'm worried my extension will be refused.

1779x

May 30, 2024
Category........
STUDY
Yeah I did apply while my existing study permit was valid. I am having my graduation this Monday. I'm worried my extension will be refused.
If you have your graduation letter and final transcripts then you can apply for PGWP. If you're not planning to study then your extension is going to get refused.

rmalik2

Jun 11, 2024
Yeah...when u applied for pgwp while in maintained status....we are not eligible to work...so there is no point of applying before study permit extension approval...Definitely w8 for decision.
My spouse can work beyond may as we applied before our permit expired.
I see, thank you. I applied with my spouse on March 8 and still awaiting response from IRCC. My permit will expire by July end and studies by August end so let's see if it comes by then. I think it usually takes around 120 days for the application to be processed if applied with spouse.

rmalik2

Jun 11, 2024
it won't, they will still process the application that has been submitted. In case you also apply for PGWP then they are required to process both the applications. Still its better to wait for your extension to be approved else you won't be able to work until your PGWP is approved

Reactions: Athige Silva

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
My wife and I applied for study permit extension and spouse open work permit extension back in January 2024 and we're still waiting to receive a decision on our application. Our permits expire in July 28 and my wife's studies end in August 19. We submitted a webform and received an email asking us to send the information as an attached file (letter of explanation) instead of typing it in the textbox of the webform. We did that and then received an email saying they received our request and are currently experiencing higher than usual processing times so we had to wait.

We also emailed our MP and they got in touch with IRCC and received a reply saying our application was being processed and we had to just wait to hear back from them. Our main goal is to receive a decision before my wife has to submit her PGWP application (which will be in late August or early September); that's why we submitted our application back in January.

Currently debating on whether or not try to flagpole and send an application to cancel our current request. Based on this forum, seems like when there's a SOWP request involved it takes way longer but I'm not sure I want to risk falling into implied status and then have some sort of issues (like my wife not being able to work) while waiting for a decision on her PGWP application.

charan1303

Aug 14, 2020
Study Permit + Co-op Work Permit Extension approved:
Timeline:
May 14 - Applied.
May 14 - Submission Confirmation.
May 15 - Ghost Update (Got an email "We updated your application status", no update when logged in)
May 31 - Biometrics and UCI updated.
June 18 - Biometric Validation, Eligibility Started.
June 19 - Application Approved.
Now that it has been approved, background check was also completed on May 31, but at that time, it was still pending.