+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension 2024

rmalik2

Jun 11, 2024
My wife and I applied for study permit extension and spouse open work permit extension back in January 2024 and we're still waiting to receive a decision on our application. Our permits expire in July 28 and my wife's studies end in August 19. We submitted a webform and received an email asking us to send the information as an attached file (letter of explanation) instead of typing it in the textbox of the webform. We did that and then received an email saying they received our request and are currently experiencing higher than usual processing times so we had to wait.

We also emailed our MP and they got in touch with IRCC and received a reply saying our application was being processed and we had to just wait to hear back from them. Our main goal is to receive a decision before my wife has to submit her PGWP application (which will be in late August or early September); that's why we submitted our application back in January.

Currently debating on whether or not try to flagpole and send an application to cancel our current request. Based on this forum, seems like when there's a SOWP request involved it takes way longer but I'm not sure I want to risk falling into implied status and then have some sort of issues (like my wife not being able to work) while waiting for a decision on her PGWP application.
We're almost in a similar situation, permit expiring in July while Studies end in August; did you get any update.

Arunda

Jun 21, 2024
Hi,

I am from India. I have come to Canada to study. I am thinking to extend my study permit but my passport is expiring next year in January and my study permit expiry date is this year November end. Will I have to first of all apply for a new passport and then extend my study permit? Can someone please tell me how they applied for a new passport at the Indian consulate and where is that consulate? Also, how long it took for the new passport to process and reach you?

Athige Silva

Feb 3, 2024
it won't, they will still process the application that has been submitted. In case you also apply for PGWP then they are required to process both the applications. Still its better to wait for your extension to be approved else you won't be able to work until your PGWP is approved
How about my husband? If I apply for PGWP will he also have to stop working as his SOWP extension has not yet been approved as well.

Athige Silva

Feb 3, 2024
Hi Guys,

Did anyone got approval for Study permit + SOWP extension approved? Can you guys share the timeline.

Also, if we apply for PGWP, does my husband also have to stop working?

sara512

Jun 18, 2024
HI everyone, My study permit extension got refused. Does that mean my current study permit is also invalid?

sara512

Jun 18, 2024
What did they tell as the reason for refusal?
That I am currently not in Canada, however, it is false. Cause I am currently in Canada, and I was when I submitted my application. I sent them some proofs through webform but no updates so far! But now I don't know if I should reapply or wait.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Which account to use to apply study permit extension within canada

IRCC secure account or GcKey account.

I am not able to see the option to extend study permit in IRCC secure account

please help

ppppppp60

Jun 26, 2024
Hi guys. I had applied for my study permit extension and sowp extension on jan 21st 2024. After long wait I received it on 26 june today. Got my correspondence letter yesterday. I hope all of you too soon get your aprroval. During my stressful period i used to look through this thread and it gave me courage when feeling demotivated. Thank you to all.

Reactions: Ocram