+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck at 504, PGWP expiring in oct 2024- exploring possible options

praj@mila

Jun 19, 2024
Greetings everyone,

I work as a user support tech in GTA with maxed out ielts and work ex gaining 504 crs, however permit is expiring in Oct2024 (Got about 3 months now).

I have following two options but I am not sure which should I go work

Option 1) Get married to my gf who I have been in relationship with 2 yrs now and apply for sowp.
Option 2) Friend of mine owns a restaurant and wants me to run his store as a manager and he is willing to apply for lmia

I dont want to get married now as we were planning for 2026/27 but given the circumstances we agreed to keep this as option.

and with respect to the job offer with lmia I am not sure if I will for sure get it approved as I have heard LMIA is not guaranteed and if it gets approved I 50 +points but will have to leave my current IT job that pays handsomely.

Please advise folks. Thanks in advance.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
If you have been working with your current employer for more than a year, please check with them if they are willing you get you a closed WP. In that route, you don't an LMIA and you can still get the 50 points with IRCC

praj@mila

Jun 19, 2024
If you have been working with your current employer for more than a year, please check with them if they are willing you get you a closed WP. In that route, you don't an LMIA and you can still get the 50 points with IRCC
Have been requesting them for assistance regarding lmia or lmia exempt wp but they taking so long and keep stalling me saying 'yeah yeah we are discussing with higher ups bla bla bla' maybe they are maybe not. Its very uncertain at this point.

Reactions: Lord_Tony

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
I heard off late LMIAs took more than 3 months, I feel you are cutting it too close already.

Your current employer with whom you have worked for more than a year, doesn't need to sponsor an LMIA, they can apply for a WP directly.

My suggestion is to tell your manager and HR that time is running out and you need a decision. Give them 15 days to either confirm/reject, and state the reason if they refuse to sponsor a WP
1) you have a hard stop on the last working day as you are not authorized to work in Canada beyond that date,
2) alternatively you have to try other companies where filing LMIA takes 2+ months and needs time,
Hence without a prompt decision at their end, you are stuck without knowing what to do.

Any decent human should sponsor or clearly refuse if you state a valid reason as above.

praj@mila

Jun 19, 2024
I heard off late LMIAs took more than 3 months, I feel you are cutting it too close already.

Your current employer with whom you have worked for more than a year, doesn't need to sponsor an LMIA, they can apply for a WP directly.

My suggestion is to tell your manager and HR that time is running out and you need a decision. Give them 15 days to either confirm/reject, and state the reason if they refuse to sponsor a WP
1) you have a hard stop on the last working day as you are not authorized to work in Canada beyond that date,
2) alternatively you have to try other companies where filing LMIA takes 2+ months and needs time,
Hence without a prompt decision at their end, you are stuck without knowing what to do.

Any decent human should sponsor or clearly refuse if you state a valid reason as above.

yes I will try to have a conversation soon asking my employer for definite outcome so that I can get an idea on how to steer.

Question about implied status, can't we continue to work after wp expires ? as long as an application for extension is submitted within 90 days restoration period ?

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Yes, you can work on implied status but you need an LMIA to apply for WP right? With other employers you need them to have an LMIA handly ASAP to apply before expiry and even get the implied status.

Only the current employer can dillydally and apply on the last day, but don't let them drag it so late.

praj@mila

Jun 19, 2024
Yes, you can work on implied status but you need an LMIA to apply for WP right? With other employers you need them to have an LMIA handly ASAP to apply before expiry and even get the implied status.

Only the current employer can dillydally and apply on the last day, but don't let them drag it so late.
yup correct. Lets see how its turns out.

Will probably apply for sowp as a last resort.

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
Good luck either way.

SOWP getting married before applying will sound spurious, please check if you have other clear documentation IRCC required for other partners, that might be a cleaner route.

mariahcarey23

Jun 19, 2024
Greetings everyone,

I work as a user support tech in GTA with maxed out ielts and work ex gaining 504 crs, however permit is expiring in Oct2024 (Got about 3 months now). five nights at freddy's

Option 1) Get married to my gf who I have been in relationship with 2 yrs now and apply for sowp.
Option 2) Friend of mine owns a restaurant and wants me to run his store as a manager and he is willing to apply for lmia

I dont want to get married now as we were planning for 2026/27 but given the circumstances we agreed to keep this as option.

and with respect to the job offer with lmia I am not sure if I will for sure get it approved as I have heard LMIA is not guaranteed and if it gets approved I 50 +points but will have to leave my current IT job that pays handsomely.

If the LMIA is approved, you would gain 50+ points towards your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, which could be beneficial for your future Express Entry application.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Greetings everyone,

I work as a user support tech in GTA with maxed out ielts and work ex gaining 504 crs, however permit is expiring in Oct2024 (Got about 3 months now).

You can apply for SOWP as a common law partner too, you don't need to marry for it: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

Reactions: Lord_Tony

Lord_Tony

Mar 7, 2023
Toronto
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-03-2023
AOR Received.
07-05-2023
Med's Done....
15-05-2023
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2023
There is loads of other documents like common bank accounts or proof of shared expenditure of living expenditure and all have to a for more than a year, kids' birth certificates...

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay