+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Still waiting for PR card. Need to travel to US. What are my options?

ll82

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
I landed back in May and still haven't received the PR card.

I didn't get any email or communication since I landed. I decided to call them and they said they need new photos. They said they sent an email, but I didn't get anything/they didn't send the email!
So now, I am paying for their mistake and I am not sure how I can travel outside of Canada since all I have is my COPR.

I have a visa exempt passport, will this be enough to enter if I am flying? If I travel by car, when I reach the border, the CBSA can see in their system that I am PR, so should the COPR be enough?

I sent them the photos, which they received last week, so I am hoping it wont be much longer.

How can CIC do this!? How do they ignore such an important communication like this! If I wouldn't have called, 180 days might have passed and even though it is there fault, I would be paying for it. I find this whole thing so amateur and totally unacceptable.

Thanks for the help,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are flying before Nov 9th, you can travel on the strength of your passport. Don't inform the airline of your PR status, as they may refuse to board you without your card. If you are flying after Nov 9th, you would need either the PR card or a PRTD.

You can return in a private car with just your COPR any time.

ll82

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
THank you. Can you explain why you mention Nov 9? Is there something specific with that date?

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
If you are travelling by private vehicle Landing Doc is enough, they can check your status online

We travelled few times to US when PR was in process..

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ll82 said:
THank you. Can you explain why you mention Nov 9? Is there something specific with that date?
eTA will become mandatory Nov 9. Right now there is a leniency period: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1235&top=16
Of course they've extended the leniency period a few times now so who knows, they may do it again.

Since you're a PR, you don't qualify for an eTA. So you can't fly directly to Canada without one (unless you're a US citizen who are eTA exempt).

As mentioned you should be able to travel on just visa-exempt passport before Nov 9, you can apply for a PR Travel Document while in the US, or you can drive across the border (in which case no PR card is required)