Status Change to Common Law - Honest Mistake

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
Hello, I have posted this in April 2014 application, but didn't get much response.

I have a question regarding status change from single to common-law. I didn't know that i have to include my partner, who is a permanent resident, as a common law since he is not sponsoring me. My application is for myself only. I have filed as single, and this is an honest mistake in my part as i am not aware of it, until i have read some forums recently about it. I am an April 2014 applicant and done with MR, waiting for RPRF.

Can i still update my status at this stage? Who will i need to contact about it? Will this affect my application time, since he is not sponsoring me and he is a pr?

I will appreciate any response. Thanks.

MapleLeafCEC

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
2211/ 2134
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Twice: PCC for UK in Sept 2014 and Additional documents from work to support NOC in Nov 2014
AOR Received.
17-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Interview........
Waived... RPRF: 06-11-2014
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
Have you been living with your partner for 12 executive months or more without any long breaks?

If you have been living with your partner for more than 12 months then send CIC an update and write an explanation letter as to why you did not declare it earlier. Common law rules are sort of a grey area so you should be fine.

You will have to provide them proof however. They might ask you (I suggest you do it upfront) for proof of you both living at the same address, pictures and/or conversations etc. They ask for all these documents when someone gets married in the midst of the application process as well.

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
MapleLeafCEC said:
Have you been living with your partner for 12 executive months or more without any long breaks?

If you have been living with your partner for more than 12 months then send CIC an update and write an explanation letter as to why you did not declare it earlier. Common law rules are sort of a grey area so you should be fine.

You will have to provide them proof however. They might ask you (I suggest you do it upfront) for proof of you both living at the same address, pictures and/or conversations etc. They ask for all these documents when someone gets married in the midst of the application process as well.
Hello, Thank you so much for taking time to respond. I appreciate your input.

Yes, we have been living for more than 12 months, and I was not aware that i have to include him as a common law partner since he is already a PR. We have the proof of living together, ie rent receipts and life insurance. I was just wondering, will this be considered a misrepresentation already if i send them an update, now that i am on my 10 month processing of PR?

MapleLeafCEC

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
2211/ 2134
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
Doc's Request.
Twice: PCC for UK in Sept 2014 and Additional documents from work to support NOC in Nov 2014
AOR Received.
17-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
When did you start living together? If you were already common law at the time of application (as in had been living together for more than 12 months when you applied) then you will have to write an explanation letter telling them why you did declare it earlier - which you can specify as you were not aware of the rules etc.

However if you completed 12 months of living together after you applied then this is just an update for them to know since you became common law after you applied. Get some legal advice too. Although check your gcms notes. If your application is all good then you will get the rprf email soon which includes them asking for an update on your marital status. So you can send them the update then as well.

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
MapleLeafCEC said:
When did you start living together? If you were already common law at the time of application (as in had been living together for more than 12 months when you applied) then you will have to write an explanation letter telling them why you did declare it earlier - which you can specify as you were not aware of the rules etc.

However if you completed 12 months of living together after you applied then this is just an update for them to know since you became common law after you applied. Get some legal advice too. Although check your gcms notes. If your application is all good then you will get the rprf email soon which includes them asking for an update on your marital status. So you can send them the update then as well.
We started living together Feb 2012. and we are already common law by the time i applied. I will contact cic then. I hope they won't take it negatively in my part as it really is an honest mistake.

Thank you again.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Note that you don't actually have to include him as a co-applicant (since he is already a PR), but you should have included him on your "Additional Family Information" form, and included an explanation (e.g. he is already a PR, include copy/scan of his PR card...)

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
jes_ON said:
Note that you don't actually have to include him as a co-applicant (since he is already a PR), but you should have included him on your "Additional Family Information" form, and included an explanation (e.g. he is already a PR, include copy/scan of his PR card...)
Yes that's right, thank you... Now, I just do not know who to contact/email to correct this. I have been trying to cic call centre.

MapleLeafCEC

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
2211/ 2134
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
17-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
There is no point calling them. The CIC call centre does not change or cannot access the contents of your file.

Send the update to CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.

Make sure to include the following details when you send them the update:

Surname (last name): XXXXX
Given name(s) (first name): XXXXXX
Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD): XXX-XX-XX
Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number / Client ID number: XXXX-XXXX
Application number (V#, F#, EP#, E#, B#): XXXXXXXXX
Type of Application: CEC / FSW

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
MapleLeafCEC said:
There is no point calling them. The CIC call centre does not change or cannot access the contents of your file.

Send the update to CPC-CTD-Ottawa @ cic.gc.ca.

Make sure to include the following details when you send them the update:

Surname (last name): XXXXX
Given name(s) (first name): XXXXXX
Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD): XXX-XX-XX
Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number / Client ID number: XXXX-XXXX
Application number (V#, F#, EP#, E#, B#): XXXXXXXXX
Type of Application: CEC / FSW
Thank you so much for the information. Will email them right away.

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
Hello it's me again,

I received RPRF on Feb 23., but I still haven't heard from them about my change in civil status.

Do i have to email them again and just some documents of my common law?

MapleLeafCEC

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
2211/ 2134
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
17-03-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
09-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Interview........
Passport Req..
30-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
They usually ask for a marital status update in the RPRF email. Send them the same email you did before and any other supporting documents

greekhero

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sorry, but I don't understand why you need to prove that you are under common law? Don't bother to submit the photos or other evidence. You are under CEC not sponsorship application.

And you are already requested to pay the PR fee? If I were you, I won't even let CIC know. You will be a landed PR in 2~3 months. After that no one cares who you married or living together...right?

greekhero

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
Maybe I am wrong, but what's the point to inform your marriage or common law status if your partner is PR/ Canadian Citizen. Once you informed CIC, they may ask for more information which can potentially delay the process.

So save yourself a trouble? If you get spotted, you can always say, yes we are living together but mentally or financially we are not consider to be common law? Common law is hard to approve when you apply under sponsorship application.

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
MapleLeafCEC said:
They usually ask for a marital status update in the RPRF email. Send them the same email you did before and any other supporting documents
Yeah i read that. Thank you.

cecpr2014

Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
greekhero said:
Maybe I am wrong, but what's the point to inform your marriage or common law status if your partner is PR/ Canadian Citizen. Once you informed CIC, they may ask for more information which can potentially delay the process.

So save yourself a trouble? If you get spotted, you can always say, yes we are living together but mentally or financially we are not consider to be common law? Common law is hard to approve when you apply under sponsorship application.
Maybe you are right, but i just want to do things the right way according to CIC rules and regulations. And i am not sponsoring him or vice versa. I think it's just the matter of letting them know about everything, to avoid misrepresentation, which, i have read here in the forum, might be a serious one.

But i truly appreciate your opinion. Thank you.