+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPOUSES OF CANADIANS TO GET PR IMMEDIATELY

anascorse

Oct 6, 2014
I guess this clarifies. A while ago, when Justin Trudeau mentioned it would give PR right away to spouses of canadians, a lot of people though they were talking about the backlog that currently exists, rather than the conditional period.

"“When spouses come in now, they don’t immediately become permanent residents; there’s a two-year period where they are not yet permanent residents,” Mr. McCallum (Markham-Thornhill, Ont.) said in an interview with The Hill Times. “We said in our platform that we will end that so that they will become permanent residents on arrival.”

https://www.hilltimes.com/news/news/2016/02/29/spouses-of-canadians-to-get-permanent-residency-immediately-mccallum/45453

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Damn, soon I won't be able to threaten my spouse with deportation when he pisses me off.

But seriously I think this is overall a good thing, the PR process is supposed to weed out the cheaters. If someone is rotten enough to fool the system for PR, the conditional PR isn't going to stop them.

But, he's wrong about this part:

“When spouses come in now, they don’t immediately become permanent residents; there’s a two-year period where they are not yet permanent residents,”

Actually it states in several places you are a PR, just with a condition. He's wording it like the spouse isn't even a PR. Makes me wonder how educated the immigration minister is on immigration.

M

mikeymyke

Slightly misleading statement by Mccallum, as conditional PRs can do everything just like a normal PR, except they have to live with the spouse and remain together for 2 years, though that's not really an issue for genuine couples. Makes it sound like conditional PRs are severely limited in what they can do in Canada.

I personally don't like the direction they are going with the removal of the conditional PR, as I feel there are many people who would abuse this generosity of course. And yes of course, if someone is really dedicated enough, they'd be more than willing to wait out the 2 years, and then dump the sponsor. But I think at least the conditional PR would weed out the ones who aren't patient enough to wait 2 years to leave their spouse. But of course, after there is a spike in applicants dumping their spouses in a couple years time, they'll probably revert back to some sort of conditional rule for spouses again.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's shocking how much he doesn't even understand about his own system!

Everyone instantly becomes a PR when they officially land as a PR, but those with Condition 51 have to wait 2 years before the condition disappears.

Unbelievable!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Ponga said:

Everyone instantly becomes a PR when they officially land as a PR, but those with Condition 51 have to wait 2 years before the condition disappears.

Unbelievable!
I know right? Pretty scary stuff.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Somebody needs to find out if he's aware of this obvious mistake. Is it possible that he really thinks that removing Condition 51 will actually give someone instant PR status?!?!

Now, as I've said before in other threads, granting immediate PR is a good thing if it's done the right way. If a person submits a sponsorship application, grant that person immediate PR, temporarily, while verifying their application, including the relationship with their sponsor.

This would make a lot of sense, IMO.

mega_option101

Feb 5, 2016
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
Nomination.....
CSQ: 22-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-06-2016
Ponga said:

Unbelievable!
It is quite politically worded - for the general population that would not be knowledgeable in Immigration matters, this sounds fantastic. However, for those of us who understand what he is really trying to say... it leaves a lot to desire, and not only that, but it does not change much in terms of processing times for spouses.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Ponga said:
Somebody needs to find out if he's aware of this obvious mistake. Is it possible that he really thinks that removing Condition 51 will actually give someone instant PR status?!?!

Now, as I've said before in other threads, granting immediate PR is a good thing if it's done the right way. If a person submits a sponsorship application, grant that person immediate PR, temporarily, while verifying their application, including the relationship with their sponsor.

1, If you wanted to hear something real scary on Sunday night's CBC radio"s "in the house" they interviewed McCallum, and the Conservative Immigration Critic (who kept mixing up citizenship and immigration) You can listen to it on line.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Ponga said:

They took a small step in the right direction with the OWP system. I think a process where the spouse gets a OWP quickly after the application is sent in and then the rest of the inland or outland PR application can be processed while the spouse is allowed to work makes the most sense, while working to cut down processing times. 4 months for the OWP is way too long.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Perhaps they should start looking at how to make application process faster? I know there are "fortunate few" who get their application processed in like 5-6 months, while it takes more than a year for others. Streamlining the spousal application process should be the starting point!
*Mandie*

expectin

Dec 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2015
Doc's Request.
18-03-2016 RPRF
AOR Received.
AOR Dec Second
File Transfer...
Nov-18
Med's Request
Upfront - August 6
Med's Done....
August -6-2015
mega_option101 said:
It is quite politically worded - for the general population that would not be knowledgeable in Immigration matters, this sounds fantastic. However, for those of us who understand what he is really trying to say... it leaves a lot to desire, and not only that, but it does not change much in terms of processing times for spouses.
They are Kind of tryin to confuse, couze all about to keep a confuse promises, feel they want mix it up with
the wait times,

Mr. McCallum, whose riding has the third-highest percentage of visible minority population at 82 per cent, said that he finds it “abominable” that it takes almost two years for the spousal immigration applications to be processed, and after arriving in Canada, another two years to receive permanent-resident status. He said that his department is working on coming up with plans to speed up the application processing times. Mr. McCallum did not offer a specific target timeframe for reducing the application processing times, but said that it will be brought down “radically.”

As i can see in this interview at The Hill Times, we can see that they are working in the conditional PR and not
at the procesing times.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
HI

1, If you wanted to hear something real scary on Sunday night's CBC radio"s "in the house" they interviewed McCallum, and the Conservative Immigration Critic (who kept mixing up citizenship and immigration) You can listen to it on line.
Sort of like the U.S. politicians that keep saying they don't want to give those that are in the country illegally a path to becoming a citizen, so that they can "get legal". I guess they forgot that a Green Card does not mean a person is a citizen...but they are legally entitled to be there.

Mightytonewheel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-10-2015
AOR Received.
02-08-2016
File Transfer...
02-08-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-13-2016
In fairness, Mr. McCallum has held this portfolio only since November. It's fairly common for new ministers to experience a massive learning curve when it comes to their new area of authority. Complicating matters is that his department has been ridiculously busy trying to immigrate 25,000 Syrian refugees. It's not entirely surprising that he doesn't fully understand the details surrounding permanent residency. Had he made the same mistake a year from now, I'd be less inclined to cut him some slack.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mightytonewheel said:
In fairness, Mr. McCallum has held this portfolio only since November. It's fairly common for new ministers to experience a massive learning curve when it comes to their new area of authority. Complicating matters is that his department has been ridiculously busy trying to immigrate 25,000 Syrian refugees. It's not entirely surprising that he doesn't fully understand the details surrounding permanent residency. Had he made the same mistake a year from now, I'd be less inclined to cut him some slack.
Sorry, but I'm not nearly as sympathetic...especially when it comes to something as serious as promising immediate PR to spouses, when it simply isn't true.

It's also worth noting that it's not just a Canadian citizen (a Canadian) that can sponsor a spouse; a PR of Canada also has this available to them.