+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visa

arunvsubash

Mar 31, 2019
Hey folks,

I have a question with regard to spouse visa.

Say either me or my wife go to study in Canada, I understand that you can apply for the dependant to get a visa and come, live and work with you.

1. Can we apply for the visa only after we finish the course or while either of us is studying ?
2. How long is the visa valid for the dependant. Say my course is 18 months and during the 18 months my spouse joins me. Then once my 18-month student visa is over does my spouse have to return back to our home country ? or could he stay and will his visa be extended if I get a Post Graduation Work Permit ?

Any info will be helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey folks,

I have a question with regard to spouse visa.

Say either me or my wife go to study in Canada, I understand that you can apply for the dependant to get a visa and come, live and work with you.

1. Can we apply for the visa only after we finish the course or while either of us is studying ?
2. How long is the visa valid for the dependant. Say my course is 18 months and during the 18 months my spouse joins me. Then once my 18-month student visa is over does my spouse have to return back to our home country ? or could he stay and will his visa be extended if I get a Post Graduation Work Permit ?

Any info will be helpful.
1. You can try and apply once your spouse has gotten a study permit or even at the same time as the study permit which I wouldn’t recommend. SOWP are not guaranteed for spouses of international students so there is a chance of being separated for a while. After you finish your course and if you get a skilled job in a NOC 0, A or B and your work permit (PGWP) you can apply for a SOWP once you have 3 pay stubs.
2. SOWP would match end date of your spouses study permit. You would either be able to transition to another SOWP so you will have no break or you can change to a visitor status if your spouse doesn’t have a job yet with 3 pay stubs.