+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - Remarried to same person

gearola

Mar 9, 2017
Hi forum,

I am a Canadian citizen trying to sponsor my wife to Canada.

The issue here is that we had been married for 4 years, divorced for 6 (due to financial / personal reasons, we had to file for divorce when in fact we had been living together the entire time)
and remarried again in 2012 until present.

For question such as,

IMM1344 - Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

would I have to check off YES? or NO?

Given the fact that I had remarried the same women, is it significant that I tell the truth? or can I just write down as if we had never been divorced in the first place?

Thank you for any help in advance

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
gearola said:
For question such as,

IMM1344 - Have you previously been married or in a common-law relationship?

would I have to check off YES? or NO?
well, since you were legally married before AND lived together for a significant amount of time, meaning you were technically commonlaw, yes is the appropriate answer here. answering yes to this question is not going to automatically negatively affect your application.

gearola said:
Given the fact that I had remarried the same women, is it significant that I tell the truth? or can I just write down as if we had never been divorced in the first place?
is it significant to tell the truth in an immigration application? i'll let you answer that one. (hint, the answer is yes).

if you pretend in your application you were never married when you clearly were, that is called misreprensenation and you better believe your application will be refused because of lying when there's no reason to. being divorced or remarried to a woman you were previously married to is not illegal nor will it automatically negatively affect your application. Clearly lying to IRCC about your situation will.

If you leave out the fact you were once married to eachother and lived together, how do you plan answer ANY of the relationship development questions in the application? with more lies? if that's the case, expect a long process, a guaranteed interview and application rejection for misrepresentation.

gearola

Mar 9, 2017
CDNPR2014 said:
well, since you were legally married before AND lived together for a significant amount of time, meaning you were technically commonlaw, yes is the appropriate answer here. answering yes to this question is not going to automatically negatively affect your application.

is it significant to tell the truth in an immigration application? i'll let you answer that one. (hint, the answer is yes).

if you pretend in your application you were never married when you clearly were, that is called misreprensenation and you better believe your application will be refused because of lying when there's no reason to. being divorced or remarried to a woman you were previously married to is not illegal nor will it automatically negatively affect your application. Clearly lying to IRCC about your situation will.

If you leave out the fact you were once married to eachother and lived together, how do you plan answer ANY of the relationship development questions in the application? with more lies? if that's the case, expect a long process, a guaranteed interview and application rejection for misrepresentation.
Hello, and thank you for the kind response.

The reason I was thinking of not disclosing the fact that I had remarried the same woman was due to the reasons for my initial divorce.

Within the country where we had tied the knot, upon declaring bankruptcy there are policies which would protect the spouse from the debtors to come after spouse' assets. Therefore, upon my bankruptcy declaration, I had to file for a divorce to protect my wife and her assets.

Now this would raise more concerns to CIC when they find out what the cause for the divorce was? But then again, as you had mentioned, if we lie about the fact that we never got divorced in the first place, that would raise MORE concerns, to the point where our application would get denied.

Damned if you do and damned if you dont. Jeez!

Thanks

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Hello, and thank you for the kind response.

The reason I was thinking of not disclosing the fact that I had remarried the same woman was due to the reasons for my initial divorce.

Within the country where we had tied the knot, upon declaring bankruptcy there are policies which would protect the spouse from the debtors to come after spouse' assets. Therefore, upon my bankruptcy declaration, I had to file for a divorce to protect my wife and her assets.

Now this would raise more concerns to CIC when they find out what the cause for the divorce was? But then again, as you had mentioned, if we lie about the fact that we never got divorced in the first place, that would raise MORE concerns, to the point where our application would get denied.

Damned if you do and damned if you dont. Jeez!

Thanks
You should definitely state that you were married.

On the other hand you don't need to tell them your personal reasons for getting the divorce. People fall in and out of love all the time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to state that you were married before. Failure to do so is misrepresentation and you should expect this misrepresentation will be discovered during background checks. At that point you'll then be looking at a refusal of the application and five year ban from Canada for your wife.

This is a no-brainer. You need to declare the divorce.

marrianne730

Sep 10, 2016
Cochrane,Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
04-21-2017
Doc's Request.
Supplementary Information, ScheduleA
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-05-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
03-08-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2017
LANDED..........
11-12-2017
Thats also my case my husband and I we're married for 10 yrs ,annulled (Philippines) for 7years and re married again 2013 until present. And we stated everything in ouR application our previous and present situation. We also submitted our annulment papers and recent marriage contract. We submitted April 2017 and reveived AOR May 2017.

Reactions: scylla

Dipen82

Mar 5, 2017
You need to state that you were married before. Failure to do so is misrepresentation and you should expect this misrepresentation will be discovered during background checks. At that point you'll then be looking at a refusal of the application and five year ban from Canada for your wife.

This is a no-brainer. You need to declare the divorce.
sorry to divert form the case but my question is related. and i found that u give genuine suggestions.
1. I got married before landing and failed to inform cic about my marriage. i didn't know i had to inform cic.
On arrival when asked if i was married, i was honest and my landing was denied, sent back to process my case further.

2. I got married on feb 14, 2017, just 10 days before travelling to canada. my spouse was married to someone else and divorced both within year 2016.
my case is genuine but it looks suspicious as if she got divorce and married me for PR , likewise i married her for granting PR.. im honest so far and have no clue where my case is heading coz i haven't received any response to my emails from my visa office regarding next step to update my case .

please advise me what should i do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sorry to divert form the case but my question is related. and i found that u give genuine suggestions.
1. I got married before landing and failed to inform cic about my marriage. i didn't know i had to inform cic.
On arrival when asked if i was married, i was honest and my landing was denied, sent back to process my case further.

2. I got married on feb 14, 2017, just 10 days before travelling to canada. my spouse was married to someone else and divorced both within year 2016.
my case is genuine but it looks suspicious as if she got divorce and married me for PR , likewise i married her for granting PR.. im honest so far and have no clue where my case is heading coz i haven't received any response to my emails from my visa office regarding next step to update my case .

please advise me what should i do?
You needed to add your spouse to your application before traveling to Canada. You should have returned your PR visa without using it, added your wife to your application and waited for CIC to issue a new visa after processing your wife's paperwork.

We have seen very few cases similar to yours on this forum. At this point there's really nothing you can do but wait and see if CIC will let you add your wife to the application - or if they will simply refuse you. Unfortunately it's quite possible they will refuse your application and order you to leave Canada. If that happens, you will have to leave and start the process of applying for PR again from scratch.

Amritbir

Jun 24, 2020
Thats also my case my husband and I we're married for 10 yrs ,annulled (Philippines) for 7years and re married again 2013 until present. And we stated everything in ouR application our previous and present situation. We also submitted our annulment papers and recent marriage contract. We submitted April 2017 and reveived AOR May 2017.
Hi, i think u can help me. I married in canada and took divorce from my wife in canada. But now we decided to marry again. And i am going to apply for PR in canada does it give bad effect on my file?