+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse PR Passport Request Letter

hello3241

Aug 9, 2024
Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance with my wife's PR application as per our current situation.

I am a Canadian Citizen based outside of Canada, in a country from where a visa is needed to enter Canada for non Canadians. I have applied for Wife's PR. We have a daughter who is also a Canadian Citizen by birth. During the processing of our spousal PR application, we also had the birth of our second child outside of Canada where we live. And for whom we are still waiting for the citizenship certificate.

Now we have received the passport request letter from the IRCC. What is not clear in the email is, do we need to submit the passports of all family members, including myself and my daughter (who are already Canadian Citizens and have passports)? If not, are photos also to be submitted of all family members or just my wife? Also, for our newborn son who doesnt have the Canadian passport yet, what do we submit instead?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance with my wife's PR application as per our current situation.

I am a Canadian Citizen based outside of Canada, in a country from where a visa is needed to enter Canada for non Canadians. I have applied for Wife's PR. We have a daughter who is also a Canadian Citizen by birth. During the processing of our spousal PR application, we also had the birth of our second child outside of Canada where we live. And for whom we are still waiting for the citizenship certificate.

Now we have received the passport request letter from the IRCC. What is not clear in the email is, do we need to submit the passports of all family members, including myself and my daughter (who are already Canadian Citizens and have passports)? If not, are photos also to be submitted of all family members or just my wife? Also, for our newborn son who doesnt have the Canadian passport yet, what do we submit instead?
None of the Canadian citizens can be applicants to become a PR (citizens cannot apply to become PRs). So no, you do not submit passports for them.

BUT: you will still ahve to wait for the newborn to get a Canadian passport to be able to travel.

hello3241

Aug 9, 2024
None of the Canadian citizens can be applicants to become a PR (citizens cannot apply to become PRs). So no, you do not submit passports for them.

BUT: you will still ahve to wait for the newborn to get a Canadian passport to be able to travel.
They have asked to fill an appendix A form where passport, eye color and height details have to be filled in. Is that also only for the PR applicant or all family members including canadian citizens have to fill it?

hello3241

Aug 9, 2024
Only for pr applicants.
Hello,

Finally we have received my spouse's passport with PR Visa Sticker and COPR papers. However, the online status still says In Process for Background and Eligibility checks. Does it really take this much time to update even if the application is complete? Can we travel to Canada before the status gets updated or should we make travel plans after?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

Finally we have received my spouse's passport with PR Visa Sticker and COPR papers. However, the online status still says In Process for Background and Eligibility checks. Does it really take this much time to update even if the application is complete? Can we travel to Canada before the status gets updated or should we make travel plans after?
Ignore the online tracker, it basically stops being updated at this point. And most of all has NO bearing on whether docs you have are valid, etc.

Reactions: YVR123