16-06-2015 submitted on 18-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
07-07-2015
If you are a skilled worker you have 2 options to apply sowp
1. Online application with in canada or
2 paper application outside canada
Normally it will take 2 months but in some cases it may extent up to 3 to 4 months depend up on cases.
If you are using paper application you can apply in vfs offices in any country.
But i prefer online application because it will give a clear picture on all documents because its an electronic.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
An application is treated "in Canada" only if the applicant is currently physically in Canada.

You can certainly apply online, but the processing time would still be what it is for his current country of residence.

This is determined by what you fill on the form as your current country of residence although one can also apply at his / her country of citizenship.

Mostly the CIC embassy that is responsible for that country would process the application.

So CIC's time line for applications submitted INSIDE Canada do not apply to you.

bobbyputhenveettil

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
SOWP online, Canada visa office-bangalore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2015
Med's Request
02-06-2015
Med's Done....
05-06-2015
Passport Req..
16-06-2015 submitted on 18-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
07-07-2015
I my opinion if you applied online in canada and u r husband is in india, u r application will automatically go to cic delhi . The processing time in the site is 2 months, may vary.

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply @fkl and @bobbyputhenveettil

My husband is in UAE from last 2 years,, but he is an Indian citizen. So if I will apply online within Canada for his OWP, the file would be processed at which VFS,, Abu Dhabi or New Delhi?

concorde

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-08-2016
rkapoor said:
Thanks for the reply @ fkl and @ bobbyputhenveettil

My husband is in UAE from last 2 years,, but he is an Indian citizen. So if I will apply online within Canada for his OWP, the file would be processed at which VFS,, Abu Dhabi or New Delhi?
VFS doesn't process applications. It merely takes care of logistica between applicant(s) and Canadian consulate. It is true that the file is processed depending on applicant's current country of RESIDENCE. In case there is more than one Consular offices present in the country, there is no certainty what office would the file be directed to. Canadian consulate follows something called Load- Reallocation and transfers the files to the office with relatively lesser load at that time.

In your husband's case, the file would be processed at abu-dhabi visa office itself.

xi

Jan 30, 2015
Hello Everyone;

I would like to share my timeline for SOWP.
Consulate: New York
Application submitted: April 1st
Passport request: May 15th
Passport submitted: May 28th
POE letter: June 1st
Still waiting for stamped passport.
The online application status says it is approved.

This forum was really very helpful and special thanks to FKL.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

tann

May 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

While applying SOWP, I also submitted docs of my current job in india. So, is it ok if I resign during visa processing period or it will affect my visa processing.

goodboy04

Jun 11, 2013
hi all,

my question is a little off the topic but maybe someone has an idea with my situation.
my wife got her sinp nomination last month and she also applied restoration and new work permit.
can I also apply for a restoration and open work permit using the nomination even if i'm not the principal applicant
in the nomination..I had an spouse open work permit before and it expired the same time with my wife's wp..
thanks guys!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
goodboy04 said:
hi all,

my question is a little off the topic but maybe someone has an idea with my situation.
my wife got her sinp nomination last month and she also applied restoration and new work permit.
can I also apply for a restoration and open work permit using the nomination even if i'm not the principal applicant
in the nomination..I had an spouse open work permit before and it expired the same time with my wife's wp..
thanks guys!
If your wife is eligible for an open work permit based upon nomination which means she is a tentative PR candidate, then yes you are eligible for a SOWP. You could have applied together.

Normally there is a condition of principal applicant also holding a skilled job NOC 0, A or B for his / her spouse to get a SOWP if he/she only has an open work permit. But this condition is waived if the open work permit was based upon a tentative PR

goodboy04

Jun 11, 2013
thanks fkl,

my wife applied for a close work permit because that's what her consultant told her, she is under NOC B (food supervisor ).does that mean I can apply for a sowp.. should I wait for her work permit to be approve or just use the nomination and attached her application for restoration and wp.I only have 3 weeks until my restoration period ends..thanks again..

mandy87

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Hi,

Any update for May applicants? I applied SOWP online for my husband within Canada as He is in India. We got married recently on 29th March 2015. After few days we have applied for Visitor visa for him but got rejected mentioning

a) family Ties in Canada and In India
b) Length of proposed day( Here my lawyer did stupidity, i hired a lawyer from canada to make file for my husband , and she filled his stay upto 1 year according to my work permit)

Now we again applied on May 16, 2015, it is an online application, can somebody advise, where these online applications has been handled means in Canada or it will go to respective Indian Visa offices.. And Is there any processing time difference fro online and paper based application

Please advise

Suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
goodboy04 said:
thanks fkl,

my wife applied for a close work permit because that's what her consultant told her, she is under NOC B (food supervisor ).does that mean I can apply for a sowp.. should I wait for her work permit to be approve or just use the nomination and attached her application for restoration and wp.I only have 3 weeks until my restoration period ends..thanks again..
You are most welcome. You don't have to wait for her approval in general. But the problem is - i don't know how this affects when you are applying in restoration period - because that already puts a negative impression on your profile and you have to justify and convince CIC.

If you have little time left - you should apply with as much detail attached as possible - including your wife's application. Ideally either you should have applied together or you should have her work permit to attach with your application. Nomination alone is of no use.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mandy87 said:
Hi,

Any update for May applicants? I applied SOWP online for my husband within Canada as He is in India. We got married recently on 29th March 2015. After few days we have applied for Visitor visa for him but got rejected mentioning

a) family Ties in Canada and In India
b) Length of proposed day( Here my lawyer did stupidity, i hired a lawyer from canada to make file for my husband , and she filled his stay upto 1 year according to my work permit)

Now we again applied on May 16, 2015, it is an online application, can somebody advise, where these online applications has been handled means in Canada or it will go to respective Indian Visa offices.. And Is there any processing time difference fro online and paper based application

Please advise

Suggestions are much appreciated

Thanks
You seem to be quite mistaken about the process.

Applying online is not the same as applying inside Canada.

Applications are generally processed at the embassy which handles current country of residence of applicant.

It is true that in exceptional cases, CIC might transfer a case to another embassy. But applicant has no control over that and it is quite uncommon.

So firstly you have to understand that it is going to be processed in India if he is currently residing in India

Second thing is - your lawyer didn't make any mistake. There are multiple types of TRVS. The shortest one is visitor trv - no medicals, tied to six month visit only.
But for a spouse the standard intent is that they wish to LIVE in Canada for as long as the principal applicant's visa is valid. This trv requires medicals and is not restricted to 6 months. For e.g. when i came in as a skilled worker, both my younger kids got trvs (though they had medicals) and were issued VISITOR records at port of entry. Because of this, their trvs are valid for as long as mine, they received healthcare and go to school. None of this is possible for a VISITOR trv.

If you were recently married, you need to add a lot of proof justifying it as genuine. Then you should apply for SOWP OR resident TRV for spouse. Since he/she is not coming here for 6 month and instead intend to live with you for as long as yours is valid.

Though i don't know if you applied online - were you called for bio metrics or medicals or not. But those are supposed to be needed.

Lastly, online application is faster compared to paper one - though not as fast as sometimes people think. May be by a week or two.

mandy87

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks for info fkl,

We have applied for Spousal Open work Permit now.We have already provided Medicals with it. I am on Postgraduate Work Permit and working full time permanent with Scotia bank as LAN Admin NOC 2281 -B....My husband is in India, he is working as Lecturer in University , had Masters of technology degree. What do you think , is it a good profile to get open work permit?

Please advise

Thanks