+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

can854

Oct 21, 2013
Hi FKL,
I have few quick question, if u can help me here. I am in process of applying Spouse OWP. I am on pgwp working in skill level B. I had PNP nomination, and this week i am filing federal application.
My wife got a job here which is also skilled level A, but employer doesnt have a LMO at this moment. He can apply for LMo but it will take time.

1. so at the time of application should i attach that offer letter or not.
2. Should I attach my PNP nomination certificate or not.
what ur opinion abt this, How above two things can help her application.
3. How much fund u think is sufficient for financial proof in India for her. My annual pay is $70.

thanks, o canada. your help is greatly appreciated.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
can854 said:
Hi FKL,
I have few quick question, if u can help me here. I am in process of applying Spouse OWP. I am on pgwp working in skill level B. I had PNP nomination, and this week i am filing federal application.
My wife got a job here which is also skilled level A, but employer doesnt have a LMO at this moment. He can apply for LMo but it will take time.

1. so at the time of application should i attach that offer letter or not.
2. Should I attach my PNP nomination certificate or not.
what ur opinion abt this, How above two things can help her application.
3. How much fund u think is sufficient for financial proof in India for her. My annual pay is $70.

thanks, o canada. your help is greatly appreciated.
If you have been nominated for PNP, i believe you can get an OWP. This should apply to your spouse as well. This means you do not need an LMO.

Verify here for details
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp

Of course you should attach both of the documents i.e. PNP nomination and offer letter. All the best.

can854

Oct 21, 2013
Hey Fkl:
Thanks for reply.
The only problm with my nomination certificate is: at the time of my application I was single and then i got married. by the time i informed my province they issued me nomination, although i sent the family mem addition form with the proof of marriage certificate.

i did some research on this forum found a similar case to mine, where a person got refuse bcz visa officer believes that he may not leave the country after legal stay.
So i was wondering will dual intent make any mess into my OWP permit application.
Please advise.
Please advise me how much funds would be enough for this application from my wife's side.

Thanks for your help.

sdalwadi

May 2, 2013
Hi I am new for this forum

I and my wife and my 2ye baby at India
Recently I get LMO and offer letter from employer

From Alberta.I am going to apply for workparmit
Visa.my job is NOC B.
I want my wife allso come with me to Canada
So question is that my wife is allso apply with me
for OWP with my same application whenI apply
from New Delhi India
PLEASE REPLY ME QUICKLY
THANKS

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
can854 said:
Hey Fkl:
Thanks for reply.
The only problm with my nomination certificate is: at the time of my application I was single and then i got married. by the time i informed my province they issued me nomination, although i sent the family mem addition form with the proof of marriage certificate.

i did some research on this forum found a similar case to mine, where a person got refuse bcz visa officer believes that he may not leave the country after legal stay.
So i was wondering will dual intent make any mess into my OWP permit application.
Please advise.
Please advise me how much funds would be enough for this application from my wife's side.

Thanks for your help.
Hi can854,

You are most welcome. I don't know how CIC handles change in status after nomination document. But this does not sound like any thing unusual. And i have read it numerous times that the only requirement CIC poses is to inform them immediately regarding any change of status you have. Since you did that, i dont see any thing else required.

Dual intent is perfectly fine, and many people do it and get approved. There could be a thousand reasons for a refusal that you may have heard of. So unless you know it in detail, worrying about it should be insignificant. Just make sure you have thoroughly read what CIC says about your conditions.

From what i have read, if you have a Nomination document, you can apply for open work permit. That also saves you the worry of delay with your PR processing since you can continue working legally until it is approved.

In general if you have a NOC 0, A or B job in Canada as principal applicant, no funds are required for yourself or spouse. You still should submit a bank statement, but that usually is needed as a proof of your past salaries being transferred to your account in addition to your pay stubs. This basically is evidence of your capability and past earnings, not about funds in your account.

I am on a work permit with LMO, and i applied for a family of five people (me, spouse and 3 kids) and i barely showed any considerable amount. All that was there was, my job offer and good salary offered in Canada, as well as proof of past experiences and salaries. I submitted bank statements, but didnt have any considerable money in account.
We all got approved and i am not alone. I know at least 5-10 people personally who had similar situation. Work permits with jobs and almost no balance required.

However, if principal applicant is going on a study visa or does not have a confirmed job, then in general you must have living expense per person for a full year. For principal applicant, it is around 10-12k CAD, for an additional spouse or child, i believe it is around 6k CAD. This is listed some where on CIC website. But like i said before, you don't need any of this, if you have a good paying verified job offer in Canada

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sdalwadi said:
Hi I am new for this forum

I and my wife and my 2ye baby at India
Recently I get LMO and offer letter from employer

From Alberta.I am going to apply for workparmit
Visa.my job is NOC B.
I want my wife allso come with me to Canada
So question is that my wife is allso apply with me
for OWP with my same application whenI apply
from New Delhi India
PLEASE REPLY ME QUICKLY
THANKS
Yes you can and SHOULD apply together. For a skilled worker with NOC 0, A or B, you are allowed to bring your wife on Open work permit and children under 6 on temp resident visas. Apply together.

can854

Oct 21, 2013
fkl said:
Hi can854,

You are most welcome. I don't know how CIC handles change in status after nomination document. But this does not sound like any thing unusual. And i have read it numerous times that the only requirement CIC poses is to inform them immediately regarding any change of status you have. Since you did that, i dont see any thing else required.
Hi, i spoke to my province and they said I dont have to do anything now. As long as r informed abt any changed in status. i am fine.

Dual intent is perfectly fine, and many people do it and get approved. There could be a thousand reasons for a refusal that you may have heard of. So unless you know it in detail, worrying about it should be insignificant. Just make sure you have thoroughly read what CIC says about your conditions.
One f member from this forum told me that if u appying OWP after nomination. The overstay issued will emitted as you are on way of getting PR. So as per him it will helo my application.

From what i have read, if you have a Nomination document, you can apply for open work permit. That also saves you the worry of delay with your PR processing since you can continue working legally until it is approved.

In general if you have a NOC 0, A or B job in Canada as principal applicant, no funds are required for yourself or spouse. You still should submit a bank statement, but that usually is needed as a proof of your past salaries being transferred to your account in addition to your pay stubs. This basically is evidence of your capability and past earnings, not about funds in your account.

i totally agree wid u. i checked the Foriegn worker manual too. there it says a spouse is eligible for OWP if her/his partner emplyed in skilled categ or PNP nominated. and here I have both. Kind of feeling positive now. But i cant trust cic guys, most unpredictable.

I am on a work permit with LMO, and i applied for a family of five people (me, spouse and 3 kids) and i barely showed any considerable amount. All that was there was, my job offer and good salary offered in Canada, as well as proof of past experiences and salaries. I submitted bank statements, but didnt have any considerable money in account.
We all got approved and i am not alone. I know at least 5-10 people personally who had similar situation. Work permits with jobs and almost no balance required.

I am wondering do you have any sample cover letter so that i can attach with application after making necessary changes.

However, if principal applicant is going on a study visa or does not have a confirmed job, then in general you must have living expense per person for a full year. For principal applicant, it is around 10-12k CAD, for an additional spouse or child, i believe it is around 6k CAD. This is listed some where on CIC website. But like i said before, you don't need any of this, if you have a good paying verified job offer in Canada
Actually I was worried bcz I have all sort f info regarding this someone frm this forum told me that u need to show atleast 20Lacs(200K) Indian rupee in ur wife's account to make ur application stringer to qualify for visa. and again one mem. told me that u had good job u dont need to show much f financial proofs in ur wife name. So kinda confused here what to do.
Thanks for your all help and guidance buddy

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
can854 said:
Thanks for your all help and guidance buddy
You get confused because you don't know the person offering his advice. All sorts of people apply and all sorts of people try to make it a business for themselves. So consultant back home tried suggesting me as well that i need money in my account i.e. 1 million PKR and if i dont have, i can just give them 100k and they would arrange that to be in my account for statement purpose and what not.

So feedback of others is valuable but only when you know the credibility and circumstances of the advising person.

If you have a good confirmed job offer from Canada, you don't need to show funds - period. Even if God forbidden you are refused, there must be another reason for this.

I did not submit a cover letter, so i dont have a sample. I applied on paper and there was no such requirement of that as such. Plus my case other complexities but none of them is a norm so you shouldn't worry about either. When i had some back and forth communication with CIC, i simply wrote a few lines describing the names, number, types of visas for my family's applicant's along with listing the fees. Nothing else.

Lastly, "worries about over stay" actually are that CIC is trying to gauge if this is the person who if just in case is forbidden to stay longer, will he come back.

Your current profile in your home country plays a role here. E.g. if i stay illegally in Canada (for the sake of argument), i probably wouldnt be able to make as much money as i was in my home country. If you are settled in your home country while applying with a good job and pay, that is the strongest point to prove "wont stay illegaly".

CIC does not have a problem if you get legal status while being in Canada.

This is the reason why all those people are refused who put in fake experience letters, or are CURRENTLY out of job when they apply for visa, Or their education is in a profession which has little scope in their home country. Because these factors indicate this person does not have a credible future back home. So he will do any thing to stay in Canada. This is not the case with some one with a good future / profile back home as well.

Hope that helps.

indi-can

Mar 7, 2014
Hello Fellow Members:

I am a PGWP Holder (Valid till Jan-2015) working in skilled Category "B" since the last 10 months. I recently applied for my PR under BC PNP (yet to get file number and acknowledgement). I am getting married in July of this year and want to get the Mrs. here ASAP. She is in India presently and will quit her job a couple of months before the wedding. She holds a Masters degree in India.

My annual salary is $70K CAD so I am in a position to take her financial responsibility when she is in Canada.

What will be quickest way to get her here?

1. TRV with a visitor record and no OWP? ( Considering with the new law, she will get a multiple entry visa for significantly longer duration. We can choose to apply for a WP at a later date)
2. Apply for OWP from India and wait for however long it takes for that to come( I am hopeful it will not be rejected as I have a good economic standing here along with education ties to Canada)

I will add her to my PR file at the earliest once the wedding is over by communicating the status change to CIC. Can you also tell me if I need to pay for my TRV and WP extension as I am doubtful of getting my PR before my WP/Visa expires or is it covered under the PR costs?

Docs I will be able to provide post marriage:
1. My PGWP (Valid till Jan 2015)
2. Letter from my Employer - Clearly Stating my position, duties, pay and benefits(also my spouse will be covered).
3. Pay Slips
4. Marriage Certificate
5. Photos of marriage ceremony
6. Invitation letter stating all the details (along with a mention of my PR application and file number)

Docs My Wife has:
1. Academic credentials till her Masters
2. Her bank statements
3. Proof of our relationship status prior to marriage (if necessary)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
Dear Fellow members,

I have a question, I applied my PR along with my wife under CEC. My application was received by CIO on February 24, 2014 and I also applied online for my wife's OWP on February 22, 2014. Coming to the point I was wondering should I have to email my back home CIC and tell them that we also have filed our PR under CEC regarding my wife's OWP ?

ashek1520

Aug 22, 2012
indi-can said:
Hello Fellow Members:

I am a PGWP Holder (Valid till Jan-2015) working in skilled Category "B" since the last 10 months. I recently applied for my PR under BC PNP (yet to get file number and acknowledgement). I am getting married in July of this year and want to get the Mrs. here ASAP. She is in India presently and will quit her job a couple of months before the wedding. She holds a Masters degree in India.
I am almost in the same situation as you, though I have not applied for PR here. I have heard that spousal open work permit (SOWP) is the best way to bring my wife. PR will take long time. and visitor visa may get rejected on the ground that you are married. I have applied for SOWP, 2 weeks back and waiting for it to be done.

To other members, my spouse has applied for the SOWP in India and I need your suggestions.
She has done her medical before applying for he Visa and attached the medical receipt in the online application in the place of "Request for Medical Exam (required)". However now she got an update with a form and asking for the medical test. It appears that they have not seen the medical report that I had attached. when enquiried to canadian consulate in india, they asked to email, in the autoreply the email says "We will reply only if your message meets the criteria on <e-url>."
What is this e-url?
What should I do for this. Medical institution where they the medical test was done says they have uploaded report.
I am stuck.. not sure what to do.

jedhcds

Aug 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
Med's Request
05-08-2014
Med's Done....
13-08-2014
Hi, I need help anyone pls.. I got my BC PNP filled and waiting for approval and LOA. If i get the approval form PNP, can I apply my husband an Open work permit for him be able to get here? I believe the pilot project for SOWP in BC is done. But this time its gonna be with the PNP approval. Do you think it will be approved? If yes, how to apply? Thanks in advance :)

Boso

Star Member
Mar 14, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I am from India and my Wife is on a 2 year Study Permit in Canada.
I want to apply for an OWP. I had applied for a Visitor Visa this January and got a rejection with generic reasons.

Is there anyone with a similar case and successfully received the OWP recently?

Need guidance to apply the OWP.. Please help

Thanks

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Hi,
Please apply for SOWP paper application through VFS global services. Dont apply online, as there were so many rejections are going on without any reason. And you are eligible to get open work permit on behalf of your wife. That is the reason, you got rejected as visitor. Now you will have the right to apply for open work permit. In order to accept your case, please show that you have strongly tie ups in your country...for example..u have asserts and bank account balances and other stuff...hope you can understand. In this way you can get your OWP.

Thanks