+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

fadii

Apr 10, 2016
hassan.arif said:
Hi, I am on study permit and got my wife SOWP approved last month, i also applied from Pakistan.

Since you are on PGWP then conditions change; are you working in Canada? Did you proved that what job your wife can do in Canada?
Hi Hassan,
Yes, i am currently working in NOC category B....and as far as about her job, she doesn't really have any job experience but completed her masters...and i mentioned that on form...but did not attach any proofs for that....i did make a mistake...did not attach enough documents...as first time i only attached marriage certificate, my work permit, job letter, her passport and forms...do u think probably that's the reason they were not convinced?

graphon

Star Member
Aug 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everybody,

I would like to get your interpretation of this:

"After you’ve applied to the SINP and your nomination has been approved and sent to IRCC's Centralized Intake Office, we can provide a letter of support for a Temporary Work Permit. This will allow you and your accompanying family members to move to Saskatchewan"

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program

It mean that after nomination, I can get a work permit even without a job offer?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
graphon said:
Hello everybody,

I would like to get your interpretation of this:

"After you’ve applied to the SINP and your nomination has been approved and sent to IRCC's Centralized Intake Office, we can provide a letter of support for a Temporary Work Permit. This will allow you and your accompanying family members to move to Saskatchewan"

http://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/moving-to-saskatchewan/immigrating-to-saskatchewan/saskatchewan-immigrant-nominee-program

It mean that after nomination, I can get a work permit even without a job offer?
A provincial nominee with a PR in process and is inside Canada, is eligible for Open work permit so yes. But I am not sure if they are referring to another scenario. Technically some one who is outside of Canada and receives a nomination, should only for PR. Being outside of Canada they are not eligible for any Open work permit. That is only for people already here on say study or work permit.

guyinvisible

May 20, 2016
Hi All,

Little did I know that dependent visas for spouse and children have to go through a long process unlike in US. Going through several pages of experience in this forum, I wanted to plan for the arrival of my family to join me.

I applied for Intracompany transfer (functional manager) and received a request to submit my passport (fingers crossed that it’s for TRV stamping). While I intend to arrive in Canada, Sep 2016, I plan to bring my spouse (married for 8 years) and kids (two daughters, 2 and 6 years old) sometime in May 2017. I understand that they cannot stay on a TRV (visitor visa) for more than six months, so the only other option is to apply for an open work permit. She currently works in India and plans to quit prior to arriving in Canada.

In terms of planning for funds (this looks like an important deciding factor), what do you think will be an ideal amount of funds which I need to show in my Canadian account as well as in my spouse Indian account so that I could start planning to save up. My salary in Canada is 85k before taxes.

Appreciate your thoughts for me to make an informed decision.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
guyinvisible said:
Hi All,

Little did I know that dependent visas for spouse and children have to go through a long process unlike in US. Going through several pages of experience in this forum, I wanted to plan for the arrival of my family to join me.

I applied for Intracompany transfer (functional manager) and received a request to submit my passport (fingers crossed that it’s for TRV stamping). While I intend to arrive in Canada, Sep 2016, I plan to bring my spouse (married for 8 years) and kids (two daughters, 2 and 6 years old) sometime in May 2017. I understand that they cannot stay on a TRV (visitor visa) for more than six months, so the only other option is to apply for an open work permit. She currently works in India and plans to quit prior to arriving in Canada.

In terms of planning for funds (this looks like an important deciding factor), what do you think will be an ideal amount of funds which I need to show in my Canadian account as well as in my spouse Indian account so that I could start planning to save up. My salary in Canada is 85k before taxes.

Appreciate your thoughts for me to make an informed decision.
Assuming your Intra company transfer is going through LMIA based process (I don't expect any other means), you do not require showing any proof of funds. You can quote your Canadian annual salary - every where you fill the field "funds available for stay". However, attaching your spouse's education and current work experience would serve as strong ties and would have positive impact on the application

fadii

Apr 10, 2016
Hi Fkl,
i need some help from you regarding my wife's SOWP which got refused recently and now i am planning to re-apply paper based with much more supporting documentation. Firstly the objection " current employment situation" how do we get rid of this? she's not working at the moment...so what can be done in regards to that....also she does not have any personal assets herself but can we show her father's assets?
I would need help in writing the invitation letter and cover letter (by her)...means wht do we really need to mention in that...please advice me on that too...thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
fadii said:
Hi Fkl,
i need some help from you regarding my wife's SOWP which got refused recently and now i am planning to re-apply paper based with much more supporting documentation. Firstly the objection " current employment situation" how do we get rid of this? she's not working at the moment...so what can be done in regards to that....also she does not have any personal assets herself but can we show her father's assets?
I would need help in writing the invitation letter and cover letter (by her)...means wht do we really need to mention in that...please advice me on that too...thanks
Hi Fadii,

I won't read too much into her current employment situation. CIC writes refusals generically. Your gcms notes might be the best source of Visa Officer's concerns. You might show her father's assets along but the bottom line is your profile, the principal spouse on whom her application is dependent upon AND enough proof of relationship.

If you are on a study or work permit (Not a PR or citizen, there is no invitation letter, you are not eligible for one). There just has to be a cover letter from the applicant herself because she is spouse of a temp resident (Student / worker) with all supporting docs.

guyinvisible

May 20, 2016
fkl said:
Assuming your Intra company transfer is going through LMIA based process (I don't expect any other means), you do not require showing any proof of funds. You can quote your Canadian annual salary - every where you fill the field "funds available for stay". However, attaching your spouse's education and current work experience would serve as strong ties and would have positive impact on the application
Thank you FKL. My current intra-company transfer is LMIA exempt. Applying for SOWP does not need a job offer, right?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
guyinvisible said:
Thank you FKL. My current intra-company transfer is LMIA exempt. Applying for SOWP does not need a job offer, right?
No it doesn't. But you have to provide detailed proof that your job is NOC 0, A or B

where your title, description of duties should roughly match the NOC and also your compensation should also match at least the median of that NOC in the province.

rikin_patel11

Apr 20, 2016
I have submitted additional documents requested for SOWP (Paper application) on May 16. but no update on my application yet.

Anyone know, how long they usually take to give final decision.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Hi guys,

I need some clarification. My spouse has SOWP and is working in Canada. He is been working from like 5 months in NOC B job. I am wondering if my spouse qualifies to apply for LMIA. We tried to calculate our CSR score which is almost 390 points whereas the cut off for EE is not less than 455 points so far. As per my knowledge a person can apply for LMIA if it's been a year working in NOC O, A or B job I could be wrong here.
My employer is not willing to offer LMIA but my husband's employer can do the same. My concern is that he is on SOWP does he even qualify to apply for LMIA. Please advice.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Navprateek said:
Hi guys,

I need some clarification. My spouse has SOWP and is working in Canada. He is been working from like 5 months in NOC B job. I am wondering if my spouse qualifies to apply for LMIA. We tried to calculate our CSR score which is almost 390 points whereas the cut off for EE is not less than 455 points so far. As per my knowledge a person can apply for LMIA if it's been a year working in NOC O, A or B job I could be wrong here.
My employer is not willing to offer LMIA but my husband's employer can do the same. My concern is that he is on SOWP does he even qualify to apply for LMIA. Please advice.
Your information is in correct. There is no requirement of having worked for a certain period to apply for LMIA. Basically if you have an employer willing to apply for LMIA and they can prove it i.e. the job specification is such that its not easy to find Canadians and that your spouse possess those skills, then you can apply for LMIA and then work permit / PR application based upon that.

For people with the right skills, employers file for LMIA while they are outside of Canada and bring them here on work permits or PR, based upon LMIA.

If the intent of applying for LMIA is to get PR, even then it is separate from PR.

LMIA if approved, gets your spouse additional 600 points. That will get them an invite to apply for PR, provided they meet the minimum criteria for ONE of federal PR programs i.e. FSW, CEC or PNP.

It is CEC which requires one year of full time Canadian work experience.

FSW requires one year of experience in your NOC ANY WHERE in the world, if you provide appropriate experience letters and have matching educational qualifications.

fadii

Apr 10, 2016
fkl said:
Hi Fadii,

I won't read too much into her current employment situation. CIC writes refusals generically. Your gcms notes might be the best source of Visa Officer's concerns. You might show her father's assets along but the bottom line is your profile, the principal spouse on whom her application is dependent upon AND enough proof of relationship.

If you are on a study or work permit (Not a PR or citizen, there is no invitation letter, you are not eligible for one). There just has to be a cover letter from the applicant herself because she is spouse of a temp resident (Student / worker) with all supporting docs.
Hi Fkl,
Thanks alot for your suggestions...i am trying my best to make this application strong...just to mention...she did have some experience of working 6 months with a company and i did mention in previous application on form...but did not provide any letter for that...do u think that might have caused the reason too for rejection regarding current employment situation? also if i do not mention about this now, would that cause a problem too?

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
rikin_patel11 said:
I have submitted additional documents requested for SOWP (Paper application) on May 16. but no update on my application yet.

Anyone know, how long they usually take to give final decision.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Hi Rikin,

My brother has submitted his wife's SOWP (Paper application) in India on May 20, 2016. but no update on her application yet.
In cic onlne, processing time for SOWP application is 2 months.

Thanks,
Krunal Patel

anu2788

May 20, 2015
Hello All,

Please let me know how I can show strong home ties in my SOWP visa application ?

I am not having any property or asset, but I am working in MNC from past four years and I have completed my masters.

is it fine if i show 4000 cad in my acc as saving ?

Please help guys :)