spouse divorce in canada but married in the philippines

SAMANTALA

Dec 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys!

My first application was refused due to my sponsor husband(canadian citizen) divorce date, CIC states he was the spouse of another person at the time of our marriage! I'm Filipina, we got married Nov 2012, before applying marriage license I told him that his divorce certificate was needed but he kept on saying that his ex wife filed divorced while he was abroad long ago, then later on she informed him that it was burned in Manitoba where they filed. So he came here without divorce certificate, in the Canadian embassy Manila they issued him a Legal Capacity to Marry but indicates there no documentary proof to marry, went to Manila Hall and they refused our application for marriage license of incomplete documents, no divorce certificate, I contacted our Minister(the one will marry us) what to do, he forwarded our papers to San Juan City and that went through, we got Marriage certificate. When he returned to Canada to check his divorce copy, just found out it was not finalized instead he got divorce judgment May 2013.

He hired (April 2015) an immigration lawyer in edmonton, but that lawyer told my husband go to philippines and remarry, so he went here to me, we waited for lawyers next step unfortunately he referred us to another Philippine lawyer to make our previous marriage be Nullify (because for CIC it was invalid), though this Philippine lawyer said it will take a year and cost 8,000CAD$ up, plus the immigration lawyer in Edmonton 7,000CAD$, way too costly. He stayed with me here in the Philippines for 1 year Sept 1, 2015-Sept 17, 2016.

Now we are applying Common law, just submitted our application last March 10, 2017 but returned March 30, 2017 due to expired immigration photo and they need more proofs for common law.. I am hoping and praying that this time our application will be approved...

Reactions: malyn123

malyn123

Feb 23, 2017
Hi i need your help, we get married last 01.18.2017 and he was divorce in canada last 1985 but he declare single here in Philippines because he was not able to secure the divorce papers because thats an old old file until now we dont yet receive his divorce. Now we are applying for spousal application do you think its a problem and we get denied for declaring him as single instead of divorce. Appreciated all your comments to me.Thanks God bless

malyn123

Feb 23, 2017
Hi guys!

My first application was refused due to my sponsor husband(canadian citizen) divorce date, CIC states he was the spouse of another person at the time of our marriage! I'm Filipina, we got married Nov 2012, before applying marriage license I told him that his divorce certificate was needed but he kept on saying that his ex wife filed divorced while he was abroad long ago, then later on she informed him that it was burned in Manitoba where they filed. So he came here without divorce certificate, in the Canadian embassy Manila they issued him a Legal Capacity to Marry but indicates there no documentary proof to marry, went to Manila Hall and they refused our application for marriage license of incomplete documents, no divorce certificate, I contacted our Minister(the one will marry us) what to do, he forwarded our papers to San Juan City and that went through, we got Marriage certificate. When he returned to Canada to check his divorce copy, just found out it was not finalized instead he got divorce judgment May 2013.

He hired (April 2015) an immigration lawyer in edmonton, but that lawyer told my husband go to philippines and remarry, so he went here to me, we waited for lawyers next step unfortunately he referred us to another Philippine lawyer to make our previous marriage be Nullify (because for CIC it was invalid), though this Philippine lawyer said it will take a year and cost 8,000CAD$ up, plus the immigration lawyer in Edmonton 7,000CAD$, way too costly. He stayed with me here in the Philippines for 1 year Sept 1, 2015-Sept 17, 2016.

Now we are applying Common law, just submitted our application last March 10, 2017 but returned March 30, 2017 due to expired immigration photo and they need more proofs for common law.. I am hoping and praying that this time our application will be approved...[/QUO
Hi guys!

Now we are applying Common law, just submitted our application last March 10, 2017 but returned March 30, 2017 due to expired immigration photo and they need more proofs for common law.. I am hoping and praying that this time our application will be approved...
ohh almost similar to me but my husband is divorce 1985 and he already have the registry number but hard to get it because it was an old old file that was the message of family court there. we declare him as single too here in Philippines and now thats our problem.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Then you need to do as has been suggested and report to the authorities (in the country that it happened) that your husband has forged your signature and you are concerned that he will attempt to kidnap them to remove them to Canada.
Sounds like revenge to me

Monique2486

Jun 23, 2017
my husband and i are living in canada and was married in the philippines, like civil wedding..question if we file a divorce here in canada can he marry his girlfriend in the philippines? How much and how long is the processing time? Thanks

Louman64

Sep 22, 2016
scarborough toronto
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
10-04-2019
Doc's Request.
No news yet
my husband and i are living in canada and was married in the philippines, like civil wedding..question if we file a divorce here in canada can he marry his girlfriend in the philippines? How much and how long is the processing time? Thanks
Are you both Canadian citizen now ? If you are and you file your divorce , you will have to send the divorce papers to the Philppines so it can be recognize by the courts in the Philippines. Which takes I think almost 6 months and costs around 30 to 50K , by then yes he can marry his girlfriend. But if your not Canadian ciitizen yet ...Philippines will not recognize your divorce

Monique2486

Jun 23, 2017
Are you both Canadian citizen now ? If you are and you file your divorce , you will have to send the divorce papers to the Philppines so it can be recognize by the courts in the Philippines. Which takes I think almost 6 months and costs around 30 to 50K , by then yes he can marry his girlfriend. But if your not Canadian ciitizen yet ...Philippines will not recognize your divorce

No we're not Canadian citizen but both permanent residence here..
So what are we going to do? Do we have to do it in the philippines?can he sponsor his girlfriend?(which i dont want it to happen)
Thank you again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No we're not Canadian citizen but both permanent residence here..
So what are we going to do? Do we have to do it in the philippines?can he sponsor his girlfriend?(which i dont want it to happen)
Thank you again
He will eventually be able to sponsor her regardless of whether you get divorced or whether the Philippines recognizes the divorce. If she can get a TRV to come to Canada, they can become common-law. If she can't get a TRV, he can sponsor her as a conjugal partner.

Divorce him here in Canada and move on with your life.

Monique2486

Jun 23, 2017
He will eventually be able to sponsor her regardless of whether you get divorced or whether the Philippines recognizes the divorce. If she can get a TRV to come to Canada, they can become common-law. If she can't get a TRV, he can sponsor her as a conjugal partner.

Divorce him here in Canada and move on with your life.
Its not that im being mean or i dont want him to be happy.. its just hard to think of it that i spent a lot of money and time.. he's not here if its not because of me
So you mean wether we annulled or divorce he can sponsor his girlfriend?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Its not that im being mean or i dont want him to be happy.. its just hard to think of it that i spent a lot of money and time.. he's not here if its not because of me
So you mean wether we annulled or divorce he can sponsor his girlfriend?
As I said, he will eventually be able to sponsor her regardless.

Phip

Sep 5, 2017
Hi steph C,

I got married in the philippines for a civil wedding last dec. 31,2015.. my wife is a Filipino works in Dubai. Now she wants to file annulment .. Do i need to process divorce papers here in Canada? Or only process papers where i got married from? I'm a naturalize Canadian Citizen

Last edited:

marrianne730

Sep 10, 2016
Cochrane,Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
04-21-2017
Doc's Request.
Supplementary Information, ScheduleA
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-05-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
03-08-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2017
LANDED..........
11-12-2017
Hi steph C,

I got married in the philippines for a civil wedding last dec. 31,2015.. my wife is a Filipino works in Dubai. Now she wants to file annulment .. Do i need to process divource papers here in Canada? Or only process papers where i got married from?
I am married before with my husband he lives in Saudi Arabia. I filed an annulment in the Philippines 2007 it took us 6 months to void our marriage.

marrianne730

Sep 10, 2016
Cochrane,Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
App. Filed.......
04-21-2017
Doc's Request.
Supplementary Information, ScheduleA
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-05-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
03-08-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2017
LANDED..........
11-12-2017
Hi steph C,

I got married in the philippines for a civil wedding last dec. 31,2015.. my wife is a Filipino works in Dubai. Now she wants to file annulment .. Do i need to process divorce papers here in Canada? Or only process papers where i got married from? I'm a Canadian Citizen
You don't have to process divorced papers here in Canada because once your Annulment is granted your status is back to.single wherever you go.