+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Juliya

Jul 25, 2019
A man wants to give sponsorship for his wife. But she has a child ,4 years old . How can he correctly make a case for sponsorship with her child?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A man wants to give sponsorship for his wife. But she has a child ,4 years old . How can he correctly make a case for sponsorship with her child?
The child is included as a dependent in the wife's application.

Reactions: Juliya

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
To sponsor the spouse, the application needs to include information of all children/dependents of the spouse (i.e. PA).
The child can be included as the spouse's dependent. Note that if the child's father is still alive, they will need to obtain permission for the child to be immigrated/travel to Canada. (i.e. legal document of full custody)

Juliya

Jul 25, 2019
Чтобы спонсировать супруга, в заявке должна быть указана информация обо всех детях/иждивенцах супруга (т. е. PA).
Ребенок может быть включен в список иждивенцев супруга. Обратите внимание: если отец ребенка еще жив, ему необходимо будет получить разрешение на иммиграцию/поездку ребенка в Канаду. (т.е. юридический документ о полном хранении)
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]

отец не указан в свидетельстве о рождении ребенка. есть только информация о матери. после свадьбы жена хочет взять фамилию мужа-канадца. нужно ли мне тоже менять фамилию ребенка? или лучше после бракосочетания дать и имени и ребенку фамилии? брак заключен в Казахстане.

Juliya

Jul 25, 2019
To sponsor the spouse, the application needs to include information of all children/dependents of the spouse (i.e. PA).
The child can be included as the spouse's dependent. Note that if the child's father is still alive, they will need to obtain permission for the child to be immigrated/travel to Canada. (i.e. legal document of full custody)

the father is not listed on the child's birth certificate. there is only information about the mother. after the wedding, the wife wants to take the Canadian husband's surname. do I need to change the child's last name too? or would it be better after the marriage to give both the name and the child the last names? the marriage is concluded in Kazakhstan.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
the father is not listed on the child's birth certificate. there is only information about the mother. after the wedding, the wife wants to take the Canadian husband's surname. do I need to change the child's last name too? or would it be better after the marriage to give both the name and the child the last names? the marriage is concluded in Kazakhstan.
I don't know about child custody in Kazakhstan.
surname doesn't matter. It's just a name. The child is the wife's child. NOT the husband's even after a name change.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
-You may need to check whether the father (if known) has any 'residual' rights in KZ even if not listed on the birth certificate. (I think you should still apply for the sponsorship without anything but you should be aware that IRCC conceivably could come back and ask about this). This would be a question for a local lawyer familiar with family rights, really. (In some countries the father even if not listed on birth certificate can - hypothetically - claim or sue for parental rights. In other countries if a parent is not on birth certificate, they have no rights vis a vis the child).

-You do not need to change the child's name beforehand but it can be done. If you wish to do this BEFORE coming to Canada (in KZ), it would be better to complete the name change before applying. You'd simply use whatever name change process is used there.

-If you don't want to wait for that, it can be done in Canada relatively easily after arriving and becoming PRs.

-It won't make any difference if the child has a different family name than the mother/stepparent (except for having docs to show parental rights, eg birth certificate and name change docs).

-As a side note, if inconvenient to change the mother's family name before immigrating, it can be done fairly easily in Canada after arriving. Up to you.