28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sarah johns said:
im from Egypt and i have the u.s visa i want to go deliver in Montreal in quebec . i may have a visit visa if it possible ?
You'll need to apply for a visitor visa:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

None of us here can tell you if the visitor visa will be approved.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sarah johns said:
i heard that in alberta the cost will be less as i dont have a pr ? they provide a medical coverage from day 1
the cost for the BABY'S care will be covered ONCE it's born, however the hospital will certainly charge YOU the cost of the delivery, drugs and hospital stay, and any tests done on YOU before the birth. you can't just go up to canada and expect to deliver a baby for free. it doesn't work like that. If you are not a citizen or PR, then expect to pay thousands of dollars out of your pocket. And i assure you if you attempt to go to the border and say you want to deliver your baby there because you heard they provide medical coverage for births, you will be quickly denied entry and possibly banned for a period of time, which will delay any PR application you submit. It doesn't matter if your husand is PR. YOU are NOT, and therefore are not entitled to Canadian healthcare.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sarah johns said:
i heard that in alberta the cost will be less as i dont have a pr ? they provide a medical coverage from day 1
Only for PRs - not for you. You will have to pay for the cost of the birth yourself no matter where you have the baby.

DANERIN

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
AOR Received.
21-10-2014 (SA)
File Transfer...
22-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront- Spouse
Med's Done....
03-05-2014
MilesAway said:
Family members refers to spouses and children. Since you are the sponsor, you only fill out the sponsor forms. Your spouse fills out the principal applicant forms. If you have kids, then you need forms for them too.

Siblings and parents are only mentioned on the additional family information form.

You do need to send in either an Option C from CRA, or proof that you are employed. If you are not employed, then provide some evidence as to how you will support yourself and your spouse. You won't be refused for financial reasons (unless you have no plan and it's obvious that you will need welfare). You just need to show CIC that you will not go on welfare.
Right-o, Thanks. So on the Document checklist for outland it says here:

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.

I am the sponsor. But I am A family member but I am NOT BEING SPONSORED. Do I NOT fill out my OWN copy of this page? Same goes with this one:

Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.

I need Clarity. Multiple answers would be helpful please... Thanks all so much.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
DANERIN said:
Right-o, Thanks. So on the Document checklist for outland it says here:

Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.

I am the sponsor. But I am A family member but I am NOT BEING SPONSORED. Do I NOT fill out my OWN copy of this page? Same goes with this one:

Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.

I need Clarity. Multiple answers would be helpful please... Thanks all so much.
Correct, you as the SPONSOR is NOT considered a family member or spouse here. Only your wife, the applicant, needs to fill out these forms. She does need to list you as her spouse on the additional family info form. YOU do not fill them out. As stated above "family member" and "spouse" referenced here are for those included in being sponsored. ie: a couple being sponsored together with their children. As the sponsor, you ONLY fill out the forms that are indicated on YOUR checklist, not the applicant's.

while other people are welcome to respond, more likely than not, they will say the exact same thing. you won't get multiple answers to this question. there is 1 answer. YOU, as the sponsor, are not a "family member" or "spouse" as it relates to filling out forms to be sponsored as a PR. YOU are the sponsor, and need to only fill out the forms required on the SPONSOR'S checklist.

Kae12345

Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 11, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept 30, 2013
Hello,

I am sponsoring my husband (American) inland. We are wanting to start our own business once he receives his work visa. Can he be self-employed or start a company before he is a permanent resident? Or would I have to start a company and bring him on as an employee on payroll?

Thanks for your help!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
rhcohen2014 said:
ok, since it seems you are applying inland, then this is the thread you want. the wait for inland processing is much longer.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2014-t179207.2235.html
I certainly hope the OP is not applying Inland, because if they are they will be refused (the OP said the applicant was in India). Inland is a special process and requires that the applicant be living with their sponsor inside Canada. I've seen at least one case where the couple were both in Canada and were refused because they weren't living together, so this is strict.

Outland is the general case, and the only choice when the applicant is not in Canada.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
computergeek said:
I certainly hope the OP is not applying Inland, because if they are they will be refused (the OP said the applicant was in India). Inland is a special process and requires that the applicant be living with their sponsor inside Canada. I've seen at least one case where the couple were both in Canada and were refused because they weren't living together, so this is strict.

Outland is the general case, and the only choice when the applicant is not in Canada.
right, originally that's what the OP said, so i gave them the link to the new dehli thread. then they reposted the same question noting Edmondton (or however it's spelled). I believe that's an inland app office? so i gave them the inland link too.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Kae12345 said:
I am sponsoring my husband (American) inland. We are wanting to start our own business once he receives his work visa. Can he be self-employed or start a company before he is a permanent resident? Or would I have to start a company and bring him on as an employee on payroll?
Generally choosing Inland for Americans is a bad choice unless there is a status issue. If you have already applied then the issue is moot, but most people get into this "if the applicant is in Canada she/he MUST apply Inland" when the right statement is "if the applicant is in Canada she/he MAY apply Inland".

Interesting question. A closed work permit cannot be issued to someone if they have a controlling interest in the employer, but an open work permit (which is granted after 1+ year of the Inland process currently) wouldn't be strictly subject to this restriction.

As a US Citizen, another option would be to come into Canada under the Business Visitor category (which does permit things like "opening a business office"). That has no tie-in to the inland/outland sponsorship path at all but does have restrictions on it. If a company in which he does not own a controlling interest (for example YOU own the company or a family trust owns it) then he would be able to obtain a closed work permit (e.g., under NAFTA or with an LMO). This is a very technical area, however, and the right advice here is "speak with a qualified attorney".

Kae12345

Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 11, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept 30, 2013
computergeek said:
Generally choosing Inland for Americans is a bad choice unless there is a status issue. If you have already applied then the issue is moot, but most people get into this "if the applicant is in Canada she/he MUST apply Inland" when the right statement is "if the applicant is in Canada she/he MAY apply Inland".

Interesting question. A closed work permit cannot be issued to someone if they have a controlling interest in the employer, but an open work permit (which is granted after 1+ year of the Inland process currently) wouldn't be strictly subject to this restriction.

As a US Citizen, another option would be to come into Canada under the Business Visitor category (which does permit things like "opening a business office"). That has no tie-in to the inland/outland sponsorship path at all but does have restrictions on it. If a company in which he does not own a controlling interest (for example YOU own the company or a family trust owns it) then he would be able to obtain a closed work permit (e.g., under NAFTA or with an LMO). This is a very technical area, however, and the right advice here is "speak with a qualified attorney".
We applied inland a year ago thinking that was our only way to apply while living together in Canada. It certainly would have simplified things to apply outland if we'd known that was an option.

I believe that once I am approved as a sponsor, my husband should receive an open work permit. We sent the application in for the work permit with our sponsorship application.

I suppose we'll try and see an attorney, however after about a year and a half of living off of only my income, I'm hesitant.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
computergeek said:
seriously, i want to know where this belief comes from? Even before i was on this forum, i knew it was a better choice to apply outland, as it is a risk to leave canada while applying inland. As someon who can only be in cnada as a visitor, that was enough to have the lightbulb go off and say... apply outland.

it seems to be assumed no matter what, if the applicant is in canada, the application needs to be inland. it's simply NOT true. I also firmly believe inland is NOT meant for people to cross the border, use as a reason to stay long term and apply for PR. I imagine when it was created, inland was for those who are ALREADY in canada for other reasons than visiting a spouse. Maybe that's a wrong assumption?

DANERIN

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
AOR Received.
21-10-2014 (SA)
File Transfer...
22-10-2014
Med's Request
Upfront- Spouse
Med's Done....
03-05-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
Correct, you as the SPONSOR is NOT considered a family member or spouse here. Only your wife, the applicant, needs to fill out these forms. She does need to list you as her spouse on the additional family info form. YOU do not fill them out. As stated above "family member" and "spouse" referenced here are for those included in being sponsored. ie: a couple being sponsored together with their children. As the sponsor, you ONLY fill out the forms that are indicated on YOUR checklist, not the applicant's.

while other people are welcome to respond, more likely than not, they will say the exact same thing. you won't get multiple answers to this question. there is 1 answer. YOU, as the sponsor, are not a "family member" or "spouse" as it relates to filling out forms to be sponsored as a PR. YOU are the sponsor, and need to only fill out the forms required on the SPONSOR'S checklist.
THANK YOU! I honestly don't know what I'd do without this forum. Thanks everyone for all of the help. So encouraging to see people helping people with nothing really to gain X X

nadinam

Aug 7, 2014
hey can anyone help me? I applied to sponsor my husband from bosnia and was approved as a sponsor on January 8 2014 (they sent a letter to my email). However, there is no application on ECAS about our application at all! i dont not understand what is going on!

can anyone help me understand the potential problem here?

thanks in advance everyone!