+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

canenglish

Nov 18, 2012
Hi :)

I am new to this site as a user, I've read threads many times in the past but had a question I couldn't find an answer to...

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada with my common law partner who is a UK citizen. I wil be submitting spousal sponsorship forms for him in the new year and I wanted to know if once the papers are submitted are we able to go to the UK for a holiday? He has aging grandparents and we would like to make visits back but aren't sure if he can enter and leave the country while the papers as in progress. I will be sponsoring him as being within Canada not abroad. Any advice would be great - thanks!

ghaith2016

Mar 20, 2012
Hello All,

I have applied to PR and I did not declare marriage so my application will not be delayed. As I have read that I can not sponsor my wife now. But can she apply on her own (as she is a student in canada now)? In case that my wife applied, in her application does she need to declare that she is married to me?
In case she declare that, will this effect my status since I am a PR?

Please reply,

Thanks,

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
ghaith2016 said:
I have applied to PR and I did not declare marriage so my application will not be delayed. As I have read that I can not sponsor my wife now. But can she apply on her own (as she is a student in canada now)? In case that my wife applied, in her application does she need to declare that she is married to me?
In case she declare that, will this effect my status since I am a PR?
I assume you mean that you have landed as a permanent resident, not just that you have applied to be a permanent resident.

First, your wife must be truthful with CIC - your misrepresentation to them doesn't impact her application. While you have committed a misrepresentation, that does not excuse her obligation to be truthful with CIC. As to your own misrepresentation, while CIC could pursue you, I suspect you are safe and it will not impact your status.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
canenglish said:
I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada with my common law partner who is a UK citizen. I wil be submitting spousal sponsorship forms for him in the new year and I wanted to know if once the papers are submitted are we able to go to the UK for a holiday? He has aging grandparents and we would like to make visits back but aren't sure if he can enter and leave the country while the papers as in progress. I will be sponsoring him as being within Canada not abroad. Any advice would be great - thanks!
I'm surprised you couldn't find anything, as this seems to be one of the most frequently discussed issues for inland applications. I'm surprised that you chose to apply inland given that a UK applicant would likely have PR in about the same amount of time as it takes to get Stage 1 application approval via the inland process - and it has the advantage that he can be anywhere in the world (including Canada).

The risk is that he might be refused re-entry upon his return. They could refuse to allow him re-entry, although that is rather unlikely absent some other grounds for doing so. Still, there is always a risk.

Does he have any other independent status in Canada? Work or study?

lindsandluis

Nov 14, 2012
computergeek said:
They can, but they don't always do so.

The 6+ month delays come from sending in an incomplete history. The VO sends a new blank form to the applicant and says "complete this form". They don't say "you missed some stuff" they just say "we need this form completed". What that REALLY means is "hey, you didn't fill it in RIGHT last time. Do it RIGHT and send it in again..." And I've seen people report getting the form twice and coming to the forum and saying "I filled this in, why do they keep asking for the same information?"

Or as they say in London: "Mind the gap." It can be hazardous.

I see... So try to account for every day and mind the gap!! Thanks so much!

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
Hi Leon, Computergeek and others.......

I was wondering if you could help me with a few things.......

I am still waiting to receive my COPR from London VO, the things I would like to ask about are. If it has not appeared before mid December then I will travel to Canada on a tourist visa and wait out the rest of my process there, I will be buying a return ticket although I don't really have any intention to use it (it is actually cheaper to buy a return).

1) I wish to transfer my full UK driving licence to a full Canadian (Alberta) licence. I have been driving for 17 years and have 3 years no claim bonus that if possible I wish to transfer, what they give me any form of accreditation for this? Also I did see Computergeek mention something about a driver's record that I may need to apply before leaving for Canada and to bring that with me.

2) Also with regards to shipping goods, how would I go about that before I have my COPR. I realise I can't ship the goods without my COPR. Is it possible to fill out a B4 and bring it with me and declare the goods "as to follow" OR do I say nothing at the border and wait until I have my COPR and then inform customs about my goods to follow.

Many thanks for all your replies. :D

Heart2

Nov 18, 2012
Pls tell me how to post here in a new topic,Want to know what was the requirement of spouse visa,and does it need all the requirements before u apply like police clearance and medical before submitting the papers.thank and God bless

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
R151NG5UN said:
Hi Leon, Computergeek and others.......

I was wondering if you could help me with a few things.......

I am still waiting to receive my COPR from London VO, the things I would like to ask about are. If it has not appeared before mid December then I will travel to Canada on a tourist visa and wait out the rest of my process there, I will be buying a return ticket although I don't really have any intention to use it (it is actually cheaper to buy a return).

1) I wish to transfer my full UK driving licence to a full Canadian (Alberta) licence. I have been driving for 17 years and have 3 years no claim bonus that if possible I wish to transfer, what they give me any form of accreditation for this? Also I did see Computergeek mention something about a driver's record that I may need to apply before leaving for Canada and to bring that with me.

Yes, contact your government's form of Ministry of Transportation to get this. Sometimes it may cost a little bit (for TN, USA it's about 20 bucks) and ask for a driver's record. You could also ask your insurance company if you aren't able to get it from the government.

2) Also with regards to shipping goods, how would I go about that before I have my COPR. I realise I can't ship the goods without my COPR. Is it possible to fill out a B4 and bring it with me and declare the goods "as to follow" OR do I say nothing at the border and wait until I have my COPR and then inform customs about my goods to follow.

I refer that to computergeek or someone else haha :)

Many thanks for all your replies. :D

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
R151NG5UN said:
Let's hope you receive it before you come to Canada!

R151NG5UN said:
Have you looked at the Alberta Provincial website? It details what they want. I do know you will require a driving abstract from the UK (basically, something that shows how long you've been driving and any traffic offences).

R151NG5UN said:
You can check with CBSA to see if they would allow you to bring the goods early (e.g., if you can post bond) but your best bet is to simply have your B4/B4A forms and turn them in when you land as "goods to follow".

I wouldn't say anything about moving anything to Canada when you come temporarily. That's just asking for trouble.

manisondh

Sep 27, 2012
Hi Scylla,............
I want to sponser my husband, I m in winnipeg and have no job yet. What i have to do to convince CIC that i don't require social assisstance? Do i have to show Bank Statements with enough amount? If yes, then How much?
waiting for ur reply...............

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
Thank you Parker and Computergeek, your advice is much appreciated. :D

emrn

Jun 8, 2011
Makati City, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011 (September 02,2011)
File Transfer...
13-12-2011
Med's Request
13-12-2012 (remeds)
Med's Done....
27-07-2011/ remeds done 19-12-2012
Interview........
13-11-2012 Passed the Eligibility ;)
Passport Req..
27-12-2011 sent the same day
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2013 (DM: 28-03-2013)
LANDED..........
April 19, 2013
Quote from: sonia5555 on April 07, 2012, 12:36:23 pm
looooooool...oh sorry i can't write arabic...but u can try to translate it via google..sorry again...if anyone can help...how does the sponsor make sure that the cancelation of the sponsorship done...is there defined steps ...as my husband send email told he wants to cancel the sponsership (he had a nervous breakdown..)and then after that wz a day he regreted and send another email to cancel the withdrawing of the file...and he explained everything there...my hubby has a a responsibilties in Canada..so he can't come and live with me...the only hope for our relation is to travel to him...otherwise we will lose eachother...um in this long distance since 4 years...it's normal to have a moment and lose our control or lost our mind...u can't imagine how much my husband mean to me...we are v tired..alot of problems happened because we aren't in the same country...i offered him to divorce me b4..but he was afraid to be too late to cancel the process so i asked..(can i go Canada despite the sponser want to cancel the process) and that was to help him divorce me without i come to Canada...we got very tired i want to take care of him..i waited too long...really um so worried.....if u can help me...i want to know what gonna happen in this emails he sent? what will be the consequences...

This is exactly what happened to me can someone please help me what should we do, thanks
Please help me and my husband.... We just had an interview recently and we passed our eligibility but I still need to redo my medicals. My husband and I have been frustrated, stressed and everything like everyone else. We had a huge fight and he had a nervous breakdown and emailed canadian embassy in my country to cancel the the process. And then later on regretted it. We are trying to work things our together and we know we love each other so much and we can't live without each other. Please help us on what should we do? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emrn said:
We had a huge fight and he had a nervous breakdown and emailed canadian embassy in my country to cancel the the process. And then later on regretted it. We are trying to work things our together and we know we love each other so much and we can't live without each other. Please help us on what should we do? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
The Canadian embassy doesn't have anything to do with your immigration application. Most likely they just ignored your husband's e-mail.

But if you want to be 100% sure, you should call and try to speak with someone at CIC.

I'm not certain, but I don't think your husband would be able to stop the application process from going forward because he's the applicant. Only the sponsor would be able to stop it.

emrn

Jun 8, 2011
Makati City, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011 (September 02,2011)
File Transfer...
13-12-2011
Med's Request
13-12-2012 (remeds)
Med's Done....
27-07-2011/ remeds done 19-12-2012
Interview........
13-11-2012 Passed the Eligibility ;)
Passport Req..
27-12-2011 sent the same day
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2013 (DM: 28-03-2013)
LANDED..........
April 19, 2013
tuyen said:
The Canadian embassy doesn't have anything to do with your immigration application. Most likely they just ignored your husband's e-mail.

But if you want to be 100% sure, you should call and try to speak with someone at CIC.

I'm not certain, but I don't think your husband would be able to stop the application process from going forward because he's the applicant. Only the sponsor would be able to stop it.
thank you but it is my husband who is the sponsor :)

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emrn said:
thank you but it is my husband who is the sponsor :)
In that case, he better call quickly and speak to someone to make sure that they didn't act on his e-mail.

But I wouldn't be too worried because I'm pretty sure they won't cancel the whole application based on one e-mail - especially considering that the e-mail was sent to the wrong place.

There are probably certain forms that have to be filled out and signed before they would actually cancel everything.

Update: Okay, here's what I found in the sponsorship application guide:

May I cancel my undertaking?

If you change your mind about sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or
dependent children, you must inform CPC-Mat CPCM-EXTCOM@cic.gc.caof your decision to withdraw
your undertaking beforethe visa office issues permanent resident visas. You must clearly state your
name, date of birth and Universal Client Identification (UCI) /Client IDnumber, if know, in all
correspondences.
So if your husband sent his e-mail to THAT address, then he better send another one pretty damn quick, or better yet, get on the phone and make sure they didn't act on it.