+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Stephanie37

Mar 7, 2011
Hello,

I have a question regarding spousal sponsorship and an open work permit. My husband has applied for permanent residency. He is in Canada on a visitor's visa.
When we sent in the application for PR, we also applied for an open work permit for him.
Do we have to wait for 1st stage approval to receive the work permit? That means approximately 6 months until he receives the work permit? I thought that the work permit would be processed asap, even before receiving 1st stage approval.
Also, his visitor's visa expires at the beginning of December, what would we do about that? As it seems, he won't have his PR or open work permit by then.
Thank you very much.

SW

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Stephanie37 said:
Hello,

I have a question regarding spousal sponsorship and an open work permit. My husband has applied for permanent residency. He is in Canada on a visitor's visa.
When we sent in the application for PR, we also applied for an open work permit for him.
Do we have to wait for 1st stage approval to receive the work permit? That means approximately 6 months until he receives the work permit? I thought that the work permit would be processed asap, even before receiving 1st stage approval.
Also, his visitor's visa expires at the beginning of December, what would we do about that? As it seems, he won't have his PR or open work permit by then.
Thank you very much.

SW
Yes - you have to wait until 1st stage approval to receive the work permit. I believe the wait is 5-6 months at this time.

jaimevetero

Oct 24, 2012
Santiago, Chile
Category........
Visa Office......
Santiago
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2nd, 2012
Doc's Request.
July 9th, 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 3rd, 2012
File Transfer...
Aug 16th, 2012
Med's Request
July 9th, 2012
Med's Done....
July 27th, 2012
Interview........
March 26th, 2013
Passport Req..
March 26th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 16th, 2013
LANDED..........
May 2nd, 2013
My AOR gotten from SAntiago, Chile vissa office says the following:

''Applications for permanent residence in Canada in the category that you have applied to require on average 10 to 12 months to process at this office.''

but is that considered from the date they got my application in Santiago (august 16th, 2012) or the date they got it at the mississauga office (april 2nd, 2012) ?

this is taking forever!

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
jas21 said:
IS THERE A FAST PROCESS IF IT IS LOVE MARRIAGE AND ALSO HAVE PROOF HAVE THAT .AS I HAVE PR IN CANADA .
No, you will have to go through the same process as everybody else, since almost everybody else is a PR or citizen of Canada, in a genuine relationship and have proof of it.

If your husband is in Canada you can choose to do your application inland or outland, and depending on your outland visa office it might be faster inland, but there is no way to "jump the queue", so to speak.

chipits

Sep 24, 2012
jaimevetero said:
My AOR gotten from SAntiago, Chile vissa office says the following:

''Applications for permanent residence in Canada in the category that you have applied to require on average 10 to 12 months to process at this office.''

but is that considered from the date they got my application in Santiago (august 16th, 2012) or the date they got it at the mississauga office (april 2nd, 2012) ?

this is taking forever!
That's from the date they receive it at Santiago.

You're not bad off compared to many visa offices which take over 18 months.

AmritSheetal

Sep 30, 2012
Just received a Stage 2 AOR from the High Commission of Canada, New Delhi notifying us they have received our application for permanent residence in Canada in the Family class on 08/31/2012 and have created a file number. They further go on to say the following:

In order to expedite the processing of your application, we are requesting that you provide the
following as soon as possible:
• Payment of your Right of Permanent Resident Fee (landing fee)
• Submission of police clearance certificates if not already submitted.
• Submission of original passport along with any old expired passports

Please note that a request for your passport(s) at this time is not a guarantee of visa
issuance. Passports are requested so that we can hold them on your file and issue your
visas as soon as possible after all requirements have been met.

So my questions are:

1. Whats the time frame for me to turn in these documents/passports
2. Roughly how long do i have to be without my passport? Don't they usually ask for the passport only when they are ready to issue the visa? In this case, since there is no guarantee, am i left hanging in the middle stranded and unable to travel anywhere for months??

It would be very helpful if anyone who has faced a similar situation can get back to me.

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
AmritSheetal said:
Just received a Stage 2 AOR from the High Commission of Canada, New Delhi notifying us they have received our application for permanent residence in Canada in the Family class on 08/31/2012 and have created a file number. They further go on to say the following:

In order to expedite the processing of your application, we are requesting that you provide the
following as soon as possible:
• Payment of your Right of Permanent Resident Fee (landing fee)
• Submission of police clearance certificates if not already submitted.
• Submission of original passport along with any old expired passports

Please note that a request for your passport(s) at this time is not a guarantee of visa
issuance. Passports are requested so that we can hold them on your file and issue your
visas as soon as possible after all requirements have been met.

So my questions are:

1. Whats the time frame for me to turn in these documents/passports
2. Roughly how long do i have to be without my passport? Don't they usually ask for the passport only when they are ready to issue the visa? In this case, since there is no guarantee, am i left hanging in the middle stranded and unable to travel anywhere for months??

It would be very helpful if anyone who has faced a similar situation can get back to me.
India is quite a unique VO and they issue PPR very early in the process and hold the passport for a considerable amount of time (usually around 2 months). I may be wrong but it is only India that issues PPR so early in the process.

I also believe they issue a time frame for you to return requested documents usually between 30-60 days. Quicker you send in the required paperwork the quicker they can review your application.

Good luck :D

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
R151NG5UN said:
India is quite a unique VO and they issue PPR very early in the process and hold the passport for a considerable amount of time (usually around 2 months).
I'd strongly suggest reviewing the NVDO threads, but my recollection is that NVDO can hold onto passports for 6+ months. As far as I can tell, this is indeed unique to CIC visa offices. I'd be hesitant to send my passport to anyone to hold for months - I didn't like sending it away for a couple of weeks!

C

Cchin

Thank you Sir Leon and esp to Mr. Computegeek for advices! Finally my hubby got his sponsorship approval today..

Thank you! thank you! ;) :) ;D

summersnowdrops22

Star Member
Sep 8, 2011
Hi...ask ko lang po... About our case,i sponsored my husband,we submitted last april25,2012, decision made July25,2012. And stated there that our papers was forwarded to Canadian Visa office Phils. Ask ko lang po ano next step.until now hindi p kami nkaka reciv ng update whats happening there.any info related to our situation? Thanks...

C

Cchin

summersnowdrops22 said:
Hi...ask ko lang po... About our case,i sponsored my husband,we submitted last april25,2012, decision made July25,2012. And stated there that our papers was forwarded to Canadian Visa office Phils. Ask ko lang po ano next step.until now hindi p kami nkaka reciv ng update whats happening there.any info related to our situation? Thanks...
Kabayan sali ka sa thread na ito..Ask ka sa kanila..di ko mahanap yun pino july thread kaya sa august ang link maibigay ko..

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/pinoy-august-2012-family-class-applicant-t114576.585.html

Wag ka magworry sis kasi mga May applicant in Pinas is still here.. ;)

Tj777

Nov 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-06-2014
Passport Req..
05-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
Hi good day to all.Would like some info or some advices.If a canadian husband cannot sponsor his wife due to a policy,,Is there other way that the wife can come to canada?.Can working visa applicable?.thank you and God bless.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Tj777 said:
Hi good day to all.Would like some info or some advices.If a canadian husband cannot sponsor his wife due to a policy,,Is there other way that the wife can come to canada?.Can working visa applicable?.thank you and God bless.
Of course. The spouse may come temporarily (e.g., work visa or student visa) or permanently (e.g,. skilled worker). In fact, if the Canadian has a company in Canada, the non-Canadian spouse could be sponsored for a work permit (e.g., obtain an LMO and extend an offer of employment.) It must be a legitimate offer, of course, but it is an option.

miracle2012

Oct 11, 2012
Hi guys, i tried to update my address but its not updating to my new address. What should i do? Send them a letter ? My husband's passport is in ND since 2 months.

Thanks!