+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

angelcalgary

Jul 4, 2009
Hi,

Hi,

First I would like to thank you for this post, it is truly helpful. However, I have a question I was hoping could be answered.

My Situation:

I am not currently married to my fiance. We are trying to decide what our best options are. He lives in Italy and I live in Canada. He is currently finishing an International Masters Degree in Italy. We are hoping that once he finishes his first year (Nov 2011), he could come to Canada and do his thesis here. Once he finishes his thesis, he would have to go back to Italy and graduate. We were hoping that the timing would work out good and by the time he graduates he has his PR.

1) I am going to see him for Christmas and we are trying to decide if we should marry now or wait. If we married in December 2010 in Italy and we applied for the sponsorship/PR outland, would there be any issues with him coming here to do his thesis? Could he still obtain a student visa without complicating the application for sponsorship/PR? In other words, could he be denied a student visa if there is already an application in for PR?

Thank you for your time :)

Gnest

Nov 11, 2010
Question:

Is it possible: once approved PR, enter Canada to pick up PR. Leave Canada live in another country and return to Canada after 2 - 3 years. During this time the sponsored is being accompanied by a citizen to fullfill residency obligation.

Q:Will CIC allow a PR card holder to fullfill all of residency obligation time by accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada.

Please advice. Many thanks ! ;)

dorisiana

Nov 13, 2010
Laguna, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB. 28 2011
Doc's Request.
MAY 5 2011
AOR Received.
MAY 6 2011
File Transfer...
APRIL 4 2011
Med's Done....
OCTOBER 2010
Passport Req..
MAY 6 2011
VISA ISSUED...
in God's will..
LANDED..........
God knows what's best for us.
is there anyone here that can hep me about this question, my husband is planning to sponsor me and my daughter (from my ex) and her birth certificate (my daughter's) is late registered. It is because I gave birth when I was in vacation and I just found out that my she is not registered when the school finally asked about her authenticated birth certificate for incoming first grader. all the time I thought the midwife that helped me with the delivery got her registered but apparently she didn't. she is now 8 years old, I was able to register her last year. but on the bright side I have all the papers that she need. school records, baptismal certificate (recently baptized) and a xerox copy of her immunizations when she was a baby. will I have a problem in our application?

thank you in advance.

and also my friend also wants to ask why did the immigration denied his wife's application, she forgot to list the name of her child that is not in his custody for the longest time. he thought that won't put weight on the application since the child is a dependent of the mother. and how did the immigration possibly know about the child? he asked me that he thought the only way to find out about misrepresentation is when a permanent resident or citizen will sponsor a spouse or dependent that is not on the initial application. how could it be? could someone tip off? and will he have another chance to be sponsored

thank you so much again and this forum really helps so many people. specially those who are lacking information about canada immigration.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question, if my canadian gf sponsors me as common law partners (we've lived in Canada for over a year, im American). But we want to both live and work in the states, will we be able to do that? or is the sponsorship rights only valid in Canada? thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
acer925 said:
Question, if my canadian gf sponsors me as common law partners (we've lived in Canada for over a year, im American). But we want to both live and work in the states, will we be able to do that? or is the sponsorship rights only valid in Canada? thanks
If she sponsors you from outside of Canada, I think you will find that she has to prove that she will move back to Canada.

But what you really need is to visit a US immigration forum. Apply to sponsor her in the USA.

leenix66

Nov 15, 2010
Great post.

Do I apply inland or outland if my wife has a dependent child back from her country of origin?

Thanks

Can any one tell me what happens when sponsorship is approved from Canada and sent to Jamaica and if the Kingston office sends mail or an email giving a file #, if they do how long does this take? I am from Canada and have sponsored my husband from Jamaica (in September) and was approved and sent to Jamaica a month later (the 3rd of October). It is now almost the end of November and we haven't received a word from the Kingston office, not a phone call, email or letter. I was told that our application is at the Kingston office but, they haven't sent anything to us about us even being there. I do have in mind that the whole process takes forever but, like mentioned b4..do they send a file number or something to let u know they have it or its processing. please help

filipina

Dec 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2010
Med's Done....
16-08-2010
Passport Req..
04-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
18-02-2011
dorisiana said:
is there anyone here that can hep me about this question, my husband is planning to sponsor me and my daughter (from my ex) and her birth certificate (my daughter's) is late registered. It is because I gave birth when I was in vacation and I just found out that my she is not registered when the school finally asked about her authenticated birth certificate for incoming first grader. all the time I thought the midwife that helped me with the delivery got her registered but apparently she didn't. she is now 8 years old, I was able to register her last year. but on the bright side I have all the papers that she need. school records, baptismal certificate (recently baptized) and a xerox copy of her immunizations when she was a baby. will I have a problem in our application?

thank you in advance.

and also my friend also wants to ask why did the immigration denied his wife's application, she forgot to list the name of her child that is not in his custody for the longest time. he thought that won't put weight on the application since the child is a dependent of the mother. and how did the immigration possibly know about the child? he asked me that he thought the only way to find out about misrepresentation is when a permanent resident or citizen will sponsor a spouse or dependent that is not on the initial application. how could it be? could someone tip off? and will he have another chance to be sponsored

thank you so much again and this forum really helps so many people. specially those who are lacking information about canada immigration.

what country will be processing your application? coz in Manila Philippines if the Principal applicant or any of your dependent was birth late registered THEN you have to provide additional documents such as BAPTISMAL, ELEMENTARY RECORDS, BIRTH CERTIFICATE by Civil Registration. so there will be no problem about birth late registry, now the question is are you legally or is she/he your under custody? you have to provide some proof that your ex-husband has a full knowledge and giving his child consent of migrating to canada the embassy might ask some proofs but if you have those im sure there will be no problem.

This might need this it will help go to this web page 7 DECLARATION FROM NON-ACCOMPANYING
PARENT/GUARDIAN FOR MINORS IMMIGRATING TO CANADA

your ex-husband need to sign this form.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3905e.pdf

in your friends case i dont understand what you actually are talking about but i think your friend didn't declare his wife's child when applying for spousal sponsorship, but yeah it was misrepresentation but i dont think they will denied because of that, not declaring of the dependent will be totally a big mistake because you will never ever sponsor her/him in the future.

boxsterspeed3

Sep 5, 2010
Sponsoring girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance

hello to everyone there! I hope you can help me to clear some notions regarding on how will I sponsor my girlfriend to come with me to Canada if I am already there..

Currently, my mother is sponsoring me and my father under the Care-giver live-in Program..We are almost in the last stage of the processing..We already send our passports and my mother has already paid the landing fee and currently waiting for the permanent resident card.

My family promised me to help me to sponsor my girlfriend when I get there..They said that it will take 6 months before I can get her(is this true?or is it possible in less than 6 months?) and I must marry her here in the Philippines..

I would like to ask you guys if you have any idea on how the processing goes in this kind of sponsorship and if possible, you can give me a time line of processing..

Also, do I have a permit to go back to to the Philippines anytime?

thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
boxsterspeed3 -

It's difficult to say exactly how long it will take to sponsor your girlfriend. It could take less than six months. However for some it takes 10+ months. Application processing times are posted here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

You can go for a visit to the Philippines while you are sponsoring your girlfriend. However make sure you keep this trip relatively short (e.g. a few weeks - not a few months). As a permanent resident, you must be living in Canada to sponsor and if they believe you are no longer living in Canada, the application will be canceled.

You will have to marry her in the Philippines unless she can obtain a visitor visa to visit you in Canada. To obtain a visitor visa to Canada, she will have to show strong ties to the Philippines (e.g. proof of a job, family ties, property, bank accounts, etc.).

boxsterspeed3

Sep 5, 2010
scylla said:
boxsterspeed3 -

It's difficult to say exactly how long it will take to sponsor your girlfriend. It could take less than six months. However for some it takes 10+ months. Application processing times are posted here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

You can go for a visit to the Philippines while you are sponsoring your girlfriend. However make sure you keep this trip relatively short (e.g. a few weeks - not a few months). As a permanent resident, you must be living in Canada to sponsor and if they believe you are no longer living in Canada, the application will be canceled.

You will have to marry her in the Philippines unless she can obtain a visitor visa to visit you in Canada. To obtain a visitor visa to Canada, she will have to show strong ties to the Philippines (e.g. proof of a job, family ties, property, bank accounts, etc.).
thank you scylla!!!

Just want to clear..Since my mom was already approved to be a permanent resident, does it mean that also me and my father was already a permanent resident?

Regarding spousal sponsorship, in case that we got married and once I go back to Canada, can I already apply for a spousal sponsorship immediately or there is a required time after marriage before I can apply?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You will become a permanent resident once you have the visa in your passport and you have landed in Canada (i.e. entered Canada as a new permanent resident). If you haven't done this - then you aren't a PR yet.

Do not get married until AFTER you have landed in Canada and become a PR. This is very very important. If you get married before you become a PR, this means that you will never be able to sponsor your wife and will likely create big problems for your own PR status.

macskaagy

Nov 16, 2010
Hi
I've a few question.

I have girlfriend for 2 years , she has a PR-status and lives in Canada for 1 month.
We want to live together. Now she lives with her mother and mother's husband. And my girlfriend does not working, because she's learning in language school. Can she sponsor me?

We want to marry. If i go to canada what can i have (paper, for example passport, birth certificate, etc..)?
Can i get work permit during family sponsor ship process (inside procces)?

If i want to get a Pr-status from inside of Canada can my girlfriend leave the country or i can?

Yours Faithfully,

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Hi Macskaagy,

I`m assuming from your name that we are from the same country,am I right?;) I also assume that you are still in you home country.
Answers to your questions:
1. Yes, as a PR your girlfriend can sponsor you- in the following case: you are married and you apply under spousal category. If you are not married you can apply as common-law partners if you can prove at least a year of cohabitation. Your girlfriend does not need to prove income to be able to sponsor you.
2. If you want to come to Canada and be with her, you can as a visitor. Hungary (correct me if I`m wrong and you are from somewhere else) is visa-exempt, means you can be here for 6 months without a visa, but you have to state at the entry that you have financial support for the time you spend here.
3. Getting a work permit is possible during your PR application is in process once you get AIP ( first stage approval)- if you apply inland it takes about 9 months to get it. You have to include an open work permit application with the PR and pay the fees as well. It will allow you to work for any employer once you get it within the timeframe CIC gives you.
4. In your place I would consider whether inland or outland application is better. Outland is way faster and you can still be in Canada as a visitor while it is in process. Inland takes about 18 months total, you have the advantage though to live with your girlfriend and the right to remain here until decesion will be made in your pr appl.
5. If you apply inland it is not recommended to leave the country as there is no guarantee they will let you back in and it would cause you appl. being rejected. I would not risk to leave, you never know. Your girlfriend can leave the country though- not for years.
6. If you submit your application you need a lot of proof of your relationship being genuine. Means you need joint account statement if you have, residential lease with both of your names or home ownership, utility bills with both names, marriage certificate, passport on your side, PR card on her side, will/life insurance stating each other as beneficiary, any online chat, conversation, mailing with each other from the begining of the relationship, photos of both of you with families on outings through your relationship, any latter from friends, family members confirming your relationship, any receipts, tickets from trips, vacations together, birthday/christmas,ect. cards titeled to each other, your police clearance from your home country, your medical...and anything else that could help your application.

It is not an easy process, especially the part to build enough evidence- it takes months for most people. You should look up all the information about PR application and requirements on CIC website.
Good luck!