+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship while studying

devpatel30

Oct 28, 2018
Hi,
My fiancé and me are studying in a 1 year Ontario Post Graduate Certificate program. We just arrived Canada this September. Our initial plan was to marry when we complete 2 one year program and when we're on work permit, go back to our country and marry.

However we just want to know, is it possible for us marry in Canada(civil) and instead both of us studying in the 2nd one year program, only I will be studying and she can be sponsored by me and obtain an open work permit? If it's possible, how's that procedure and how long will it take her to get spousal open work permit?

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Hi,
My fiancé and me are studying in a 1 year Ontario Post Graduate Certificate program. We just arrived Canada this September. Our initial plan was to marry when we complete 2 one year program and when we're on work permit, go back to our country and marry.

However we just want to know, is it possible for us marry in Canada(civil) and instead both of us studying in the 2nd one year program, only I will be studying and she can be sponsored by me and obtain an open work permit? If it's possible, how's that procedure and how long will it take her to get spousal open work permit?
CIVIL MARRIAGE= OK for society BUT sadly IRCC will raise a RED FLAG on that. You can try that. BTW if you guys are really in love and wanna marry, why not take her to your homeland marry there with all kind of celebrations etc etc So that your case is much more stronger.. Rest is your life your decisions GOOD luck buddy :)

devpatel30

Oct 28, 2018
CIVIL MARRIAGE= OK for society BUT sadly IRCC will raise a RED FLAG on that. You can try that. BTW if you guys are really in love and wanna marry, why not take her to your homeland marry there with all kind of celebrations etc etc So that your case is much more stronger.. Rest is your life your decisions GOOD luck buddy :)
Hi, thank you for the advise.
She considers to stop studying next year is that both families are facing an unexpected financial problems back home and it's going to be too difficult for both of us to pursue studies simultaneously. So going back and having a grand marriage is next to impossible to think right now though we love to have it. That's why we started thinking of this option. We heard about spouses sponsoring their husband/wife while they are studying and in this case both are in Canada with a valid study permit.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Hi,

You're both currently in Canada on student visas? I'm not sure, but a student visa isn't a permanent resident visa, so you have no right to sponsor your spouse. Unless I'm wrong and one of you at least is a PR.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
If you're asking about sponsoring your spouse onto a work permit through your status as a student, you may want to ask in the study visa forum, as this is the forum that is intended for PR spousal sponsorship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Work permits are not guaranteed for spouses of international student. You are allowed to apply but not all get approved.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is it possible to apply for that while both of us are studying?
You need to move to the International Student section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens and PRs sponsoring their family members.