+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship options?

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
I plan to go to cambodia to marry a girl in March. This is semi-arranged. I have never talked to her so I have no phone receipts etc. I have only exchanged pictures through a Cambodian-Canadian friend. I went to a lawyer and explained my situation and that I plan to sponsor her upon my return to Canada. She said immigration would look at the fact that we didnt have a relationship before marrying and deny her application for PR status. Is this true? I know of 2 other men who have had similar situations in the past year...They were both approved. The lawyer advised me to spend a few months after I marry her to build up our relationship and accumulate proof that we have a relationship. Is this wait necessary? Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to waste all of this time and money if I am almost sure to be denied.
Thanks.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If you have no relationship with the Cambodian woman, Immigration will look at your relationship as suspect. They'll probably wonder whether someone is paying you to help her immigrate. Or if she's bound for prostitution.

So yes, if you want to improve your chances of approval, you'll need to stay with her in Cambodia for a while.

Enjoy Angkor Wat.

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
thanks for the reply. The problem is, due to my job here, I cant stay for more than 2 weeks. As for the prostitution, she comes from a well-to-do family and has her own business which employs 7 people. Also, she has been taking English classes for 5 months. Surely this will help our cause? What if I marry her as planned, return to Canada and continue to correspond with her actively through phone, internet etc.for 2-3 months? My lawyer claimed this is our best chance under the cirrcumstances.
I should note that we will be having a very large wedding and honeymoon. But unfortunately, no time for Angkor Wat.
Thanks in advance.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, you should follow the advice of your lawyer and (at least) visit her a little, followed-up by the other 'rituals' of marriage - phone calls, love letters, wedding photos, planned trips, gifts, etc. In the application, you will need to describe how you met, how your courtship proceeded, etc. I suggest you download the application, read it over, and start doing things that will allow you to answer the questions in a convincing manner.

Good luck with everything. I hope you know what you're getting into.

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
thaiguy said:
Yes, you should follow the advice of your lawyer and (at least) visit her a little, followed-up by the other 'rituals' of marriage - phone calls, love letters, wedding photos, planned trips, gifts, etc. In the application, you will need to describe how you met, how your courtship proceeded, etc. I suggest you download the application, read it over, and start doing things that will allow you to answer the questions in a convincing manner.

Good luck with everything. I hope you know what you're getting into.

Thanks for the good wishes. Do you think 2-3 months of correspondence after the marriage is enough? Should I wait longer to sponsor her? You said you hope I know what I'm getting into...Please be honest...How bad does/will my case look?

Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Honestly I don't know if they have specific guidelines for the amount of time you must be married. But when you're engaged and married for such a short period, it comes down to the quality of your relationship. If you're not living with her - in fact never lived with her - I don't see how that would convince immigration of the validity of the relationship. It really looks like a contract marriage.

Sorry to be blunt. And this is just my opinion. But I think you should consider trying to live with your new wife in Cambodia for at least 6 months. Many employers will give you an unpaid leave of absence - or a sabbatical - and allow you to return to your job. This will give you the evidence you need to substantiate your relationship, and it will also allow you to get to know your new wife. SE Asian values differ greatly from ours in North America. You owe it to yourself to make sure you're not making a big mistake before you try to sponsor someone to your country.

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
ok...I'm going through with this. I was in a common-law relationship untill July of 2007. How do I acquire proof that I am separated? It says on the doc. checklist income tax forms, legal documents etc...But I wont have done my taxes when I will apply to sponsor my wife and I dont have any legal doc's to prove that we are separated. Is it adequate if my ex and I sign a waiver stating when we dissolved our relationship?

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
Also...pertaining to the medical and police checks...When should she get these done? should she have them done before I arrive so I can take the doc's back with me to Canada to send with the sponsorship application? Or does she do the checks after the wedding?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
umbis said:
ok...I'm going through with this. I was in a common-law relationship untill July of 2007. How do I acquire proof that I am separated? It says on the doc. checklist income tax forms, legal documents etc...But I wont have done my taxes when I will apply to sponsor my wife and I dont have any legal doc's to prove that we are separated. Is it adequate if my ex and I sign a waiver stating when we dissolved our relationship?
A common-law relationship doesn't require proof of separation that I know of. It is, in fact, a relationship that's recognized only by the fact that you are living together and have consolidated affairs. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't disclose it, though.)

If you registered your relationship somehow, then I think it's just a matter of getting it un-registered. If there's some paperwork that goes with it, that's the only proof you'll need to show your relationship has ended.

umbis said:
Also...pertaining to the medical and police checks...When should she get these done? should she have them done before I arrive so I can take the doc's back with me to Canada to send with the sponsorship application? Or does she do the checks after the wedding?
Sponsoring your wife will be a three-step process. The first is your marriage, and that might require some kind of medical for the license. You'll have to find out in Cambodia. After you're married, you would return to Canada and perform the second step: applying to sponsor. This takes around a month. The third step is to apply for permanent residence. When you do this, you'll need to send all of your wife's support documents, among which is proof that she had her medical done. The medical is only valid for 6 months and it's pretty easy to get a fast appointment for it, so she should wait until the last moment to have it done.

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
ok...I was just concerned about the time it will take for documents to be shipped half way around the world. Also, any idea how long a police check is valid for?
I was hoping I could have her take care of that before I get there and return with it.
Thanks Thai Guy

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
umbis said:
ok...I was just concerned about the time it will take for documents to be shipped half way around the world. Also, any idea how long a police check is valid for?
I was hoping I could have her take care of that before I get there and return with it.
Thanks Thai Guy
Shipping to Canada from Thailand takes 2.5 days by FedEx. I'm sure it's the same for Cambodia. You can always call FedEx and ask.

I believe the police checks are valid for 6 months, but are supposed to be submitted within 90 days of issue.

umbis

Sep 6, 2007
ok....I was under the impression the medical and police checks had to be mailed together with the sponsorship and PR package. Is this not the case then?