+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship & non tax resident

illakiya66

Aug 4, 2023
Hi,
I am a PR who landed weeks ago in Canada and joined a job recently. I am planning to sponsor my wife in few months. One of the required document is my NOA . Since I didn't meet the tax resident requirement ( physically present in canada for 182 days in current year) , i will be defaulted to non-tax resident category.
Will this arise a doubt or affect my spousal sponsorship in any way? Should I need to explain in detail reg this or can simply apply my application?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
I am a PR who landed weeks ago in Canada and joined a job recently. I am planning to sponsor my wife in few months. One of the required document is my NOA . Since I didn't meet the tax resident requirement ( physically present in canada for 182 days in current year) , i will be defaulted to non-tax resident category.
Will this arise a doubt or affect my spousal sponsorship in any way? Should I need to explain in detail reg this or can simply apply my application?
When you say you 'joined a job recently', do you mean in Canada?

I'd simply explain in a letter of explanation that you just landed and started a job in Canada, provide a letter of employment or paystubs or something like that. You should affirm in that letter that you will be residing in Canada (that's part of sponsorship). Since you just landed, you shouldn't need/can't get NOA.

That's for the sponsorship. For the tax filing going forward, I think you're mistaken (assuming you will be residing in Canada) - you will likely be tax resident beginning the day you landed. You will likely need to report (separate part of tax forms I think) income before you landed, but shouldn't have to pay Canadian taxes on that. (They will use the reported income from before that date for certain things like benefits eg carbon tax refunds). You'll also have to report assets abroad and worldwide income from the date of your landing. But for 2024, you'll file taxes in 2025 for the 2024 calendar year.

This may sound a bit intimidating, although it's reasonably self-explanatory (depending on complexity of your personal situation). That said, it can be worth it to hire a tax professional to prepare your returns and get advice. Again, depending on complexity of your situation and finances.

Of course if you're not employed in Canada and not going to reside here - sponsorship may not be accepted. (Employed abroad and residing in Canada - tax resident and tax filing may get complicated - I'm not going to attempt to describe all situations)

illakiya66

Aug 4, 2023
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Yes, I have joined a job in canada. I will also try to hire a professional to prepare my tax returns.

Again really appreciate your help. Thank you!!!

Reactions: armoured